Kindergarten - little friends needed

Hi everyone,

I am about to move to Malta with my 3 years old daughter. I still don't know anything about the early childhood education here. How does it work ? How much do you spend monthly to send a 3 yrs old + to school (English speaking) ? Is it possible to find one on April ?

Are there dancing/aerobic courses at reasonable prices for kids that you can suggest ?

My little girl also would love to make friend with other little ones of her age or around her age. She would be really happy to have good companion, she is a very friendly and affectionate child.

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

H.R

Hello H.R :)

I invite you to drop in an advert in our Classes in Malta classifieds section so as to spread the word on your query.

This might help

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you very much Kenjee, I'll try it !

Have a nice day,

HR

Hi, do you know in which area are you going to live? Easier to find friends, classes, give recommendations. My daughter is 4 and she did go to ballet lessons in Gzira and there are quite a few options to choose from, however most of the classes  end in June, so you might need to wait till September to join.

Evi

Hi, do you know in which area are you going to live? Easier to find friends, classes, give recommendations. My daughter is 4 and she did go to ballet lessons in Gzira and there are quite a few options to choose from, however most of the classes  end in June, so you might need to wait till September to join.

Evi

Hi Evi,

Thanks for your kind reply !
I still don't know where to move to yet, but would prefer a place where English is mostly spoken in everyday life rather than Maltese, and I am looking also for an English kindergarten for my daughter (it should be private so there are less requirements to get enrolled). It could be Sliema or there around ?!
What about your daughter's kindergarten ?
Other courses are less important, however if we can find something interesting we'll evaluate.
How do you find yourself there in Gzira ?

Thanks again for useful info !

Huong.

Hi Huong,

both my children go to Gzira Primary (my daughter is in kindergarten 2) and we like it a lot. Although they are learning Maltese as well, I do not see it as a problem. In every class they have couple of foreign children so English is used a lot and obviously a big part of the curriculum is taught in English. Before you dismiss state schools have a look, they do not really have any kind a requirements, you only have to live in the town of the school. Most towns have only one school including kindergarten classes.
There are quite a few private kindergartens in Gzira and Sliema, I have visited couple of them when I was looking for my son two years ago, and honestly I good not see any major difference (in quality, size of the class, etc.) between state and private to justify the costs. So instead of paying for private kindergarten we spend the money on after school activities

Hi Evi,

You are right, and for sure I'd prefer not to pay for a private one, but considered that we don't have European citizenship yet we are coming as tourists first. And I am afraid the public kindergartens won't accept my daughter as long as we don't have the residence permit !

Thank you anyway since the info given is really useful !

I'll have to try with a private one, then hope to find a job in order to get the residence permit and change things later.

Have a nice day !

Hi,

I understand, I do not know much about the requirements for non EU citizens, however EU citizens do not need to have an ID card to enroll their children to state schools. Basically you can register your child straight off the plane as long as you have an address in Malta.
I am sure that you already have a list of private nurseries, If you will be living in Gzira there is a nice one in Msida Marina called Kaell's ( I do not have personal experience with them, but our roof terrace overlooking their backyard and the children seems to enjoy it:))