Psychiatric Test For Marriage

That's BS! 
I did the routine in DaNang...Including the paperwork to get married...I don't believe more than 1.5 million ever passed across the counter for anything.  One million was for the initial paperwork and that only took a week or so.  I think the medical bill to prove I was crazy was about 125,000 vnd and that was listed as being such.  The only 'gratuity' that I have paid was to the two women across the counter for their help after all was done...a bunch of flowers for each of them.
I've lived here in DaNang now over 4 years and have never had to pay any 'coffee money'...to any official in the City.

Haha. When the doctor asked are you crazy?  Straight away i felt OMG does the doctor know my wife or at least know something that i dont.

Ha ha ha  :o

danang is not ho chi minh city
every province is run differently, but bribery is a common practice in vietnam with government officials

"bribery is a common practice in Vietnam"    (???)

Common, read: endemic.   A rite of passage best experienced in small doses...

Like stupidity, there is no known cure.   Even 'knowledge' does not apply...

Balance in mental states..?    Now where would we find that..?     :blink:

hphansva wrote:

I would recommend carrying with you at least four pictures of passport size photos 4 by 6 cm for both applicants.   Few extra copies wouldn't hurt.

*As of 2018 Cho Ray does not do mental certifications anymore. The hospital they refer you to is in Bệnh Viện Tâm Thần Thành 766 Võ Văn Kiệt, Hồ Chí Minh, .  It is some small run-down Hospital. You go up to the second floor and you fill out their application and give them the passport photos and give the nurse there 300,000 vnd.  She can then expedite things so you can speak to the doctor. She would then direct you to the the clerk office where you will pay 400,000vnd for each person for application fee. Then you have to give the receipt to the doctor during the interview and also provide 300,000 vnd "coffee money" so he can just sign the damn form.  Otherwise he will find some reason to fail you.

That small run-down hospital is the Saigon Mental Hospital and it is a good place to find a psychiatrist for this pre-marriage procedure. It is where we went for the same reason. For the person asking about Vung Tau, I don't know if there is a qualified psychiatrist for this test there, but why don't you ask at the same local committee office which is processing your marriage certificate?

In VT they require a full medical check and no mental check.

I did my marriage paperwork in Phuoc Buu, a small town in BRVT provence.They only wanted a mental check and no physical.

trung tâm pháp Y
35 Trần Bình, Mai Dịch, Cầu Giấy, Hà Nội, Vietnam
It's in Hanoi, done within one hours hassle free $1300 VDN
06/11/2018
Hope it's help

Ah so complicated.. I went a few months back and took less than an hour.. No questions.. Just basic fee

Hello, 
I  want  to  marry  Vietnam lady. I need  to  prove   I am  mentally  fit to marry,  can  I do the  mentally  fit  certificate  from  you
Thanks
Kiruba

I  mean   can I get  certificate  of mental health  in Vietnam

Nada kiruba wrote:

I  mean   can I get  certificate  of mental health  in Vietnam

Get your gf to ask the peoples committee where you can do it.

Hello, 
I am  kirubaharan,  I don't  understand  what  you  mean  people  commite
Thanks
Kiruba

Nada kiruba wrote:

Hello, 
I am  kirubaharan,  I don't  understand  what  you  mean  people  commite
Thanks
Kiruba

To get married here you need to deal with the UBND, Peoples Committee. Your gf will know all about it.

colinoscapee wrote:

To get married here you need to deal with the UBND, Peoples Committee. Your gf will know all about it.

While the gf is there she might check on exactly which documents they will really need.  As others have noted the requirements seem to vary from province to province which can be both good or bad.  When the person from the Ben Tre Justice Dept. (which used to handle marriages) went through our paperwork, he threw my psychological exam in the wastebasket and said he wouldn't need it.  I had my personal doctor in the US fill it out which was free but I had gone through the whole costly routine of notarization and certification at the Vietnamese Embassy in D.C.  Apparently my wife already knew that it wasn't needed as she never bothered to get the document for herself.

Could you not consider a Psychiatric Test For Marriage self-defeating or at least a contradiction of terms? Perhaps only in the West....

THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

While the gf is there she might check on exactly which documents they will really need.  As others have noted the requirements seem to vary from province to province which can be both good or bad.  When the person from the Ben Tre Justice Dept. (which used to handle marriages) went through our paperwork, he threw my psychological exam in the wastebasket and said he wouldn't need it.  I had my personal doctor in the US fill it out which was free but I had gone through the whole costly routine of notarization and certification at the Vietnamese Embassy in D.C.  Apparently my wife already knew that it wasn't needed as she never bothered to get the document for herself.

I asked my wife to get the girl at the UBND to give us a list of everything that needed to be done. The girl said they dont do it that way.

I went to a hospital near where we were doing our marriage paperwork, it had advertising on the main road in English, so I thought they were able to do it. My wife asked them to do our test, they said they only do locals, not foreigners. She then asked why was all the signage at the hospital and advertising in English, their response " it looks nice in two languages".

LMAO - I'll bet they would have complied and you would've passed had you had offered to employ their interpreter. That would've been "nice" also.

I had one done in America when I was getting married, only to have them reject it in favor of their own.  Theirs included a brain scan that conjured up memories of this scene from A Clockwork Orange :http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/ccManager/clips/clockworkOrangeVidi.mp4/thumbnailImage_mini

where did you get this done! I am in Da Nang currently and was thinking I would have to travel to HCMC to get the health certificate.

where in Danang!?

sgreenwd wrote:

where in Danang!?

Get your VN gf to ask the People's Committee.

Colin

'He' has no idea what that is.... just asked him.

This question is for Anthony... Where in Da Nang did you have this done?

sgreenwd wrote:

This question is for Anthony... Where in Da Nang did you have this done?

Next time use the quote feature so you can direct the question to a certain poster.

sgreenwd wrote:

Colin

Each ward of the city has a UBND, thats where you go to ask.

sgreenwd wrote:

Colin

Ok, is he Vietnamese?

colinoscapee wrote:
sgreenwd wrote:

Colin

Ok, so you are seeking a gay marriage, is that right?

In Vietnam it's not done legally, you just have a wedding ceremony, no marriage license.

No! Can you not see in my picture that I am a woman? A woman getting married to a Vietnamese man. lol  Thanks for the 'quote' tip. :) just a regular man to woman marriage in Da Nang, Vietnam.

sgreenwd wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
sgreenwd wrote:

Colin

In Vietnam it's not done legally, you just have a wedding ceremony, no marriage license.

No! Can you not see in my picture that I am a woman? A woman getting married to a Vietnamese man. lol  Thanks for the 'quote' tip. :) just a regular man to woman marriage in Da Nang, Vietnam.

Sorry, your pic is not clear so it is hard to tell.  :dumbom:

If he is Vietnamese he will know what the UBND is.

From experience the yes is just a basic question and answer session, usually just to determine you are not under the influence of any drugs

sgreenwd wrote:

No! Can you not see in my picture that I am a woman?.

You have to lose the hat. Baseball caps are fairly unisex especially when you tuck all your hair up inside.  :cheers:

colinoscapee wrote:
sgreenwd wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

NO worries! yes the hat may disguise me. I already asked. He doesn't ;)

sgreenwd wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
sgreenwd wrote:

It's the government office that will handle your marriage.

Is he an overseas Vietnamese (Viet Kieu)?

UBND

colinoscapee wrote:
sgreenwd wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

UBND

No, he's from Ho Chi Minh

sgreenwd wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
sgreenwd wrote:

UBND

If he is registered in Saigon, you have to do the marriage process there.

registered for what? He lives here with me in Da Nang and has been registered at the Apts we live in....? if that's what you mean.

sgreenwd wrote:

registered for what? He lives here with me in Da Nang and has been registered at the Apts we live in....? if that's what you mean.

Family registration

sgreenwd wrote:

Ask him if he is in his family book in HCMC (I assume so).  If so you will have to do everything there.

Also, people were confused as you are the first American woman marrying a VN man that have posted on this forum for at least as long as I have been around.  People just assumed...

Good luck on the wedding!

sgreenwd wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
sgreenwd wrote:

Probably better to ask his mother.

Seriously...

sgreenwd wrote:

sgreenwd wrote:

All Vietnamese know what Uỷ Ban Nhân Dân (UBND, or local police) is.  All Vietnamese also know what hộ khẩu (family book) is. 

If he's a renter in a dwelling owned by someone who isn't related to him by blood or marriage (meaning they wouldn't add him to their family book), then he's not a permanent resident there and his registration with UBND in Da Nang is for temporary residency only.  It's more than likely he's still in his parents' hộ khẩu in Saigon.