Mansoura University, EGYPT

Hello everybody!

I am considering moving to the Mansoura University area near Egypt to be with a man. There are a lot of naysayers who are telling me that this man is using me for a visa and that I'll be living in a backwater little village where FGM is routinely performed. I met this man here in the USA and he is returning to Egypt after his student visa expires in order to complete some of his obligations. I have been reading this forum for hours and marriage, divorce, sweet-talking Egyptian men who turn out to be horrible monsters, etc. I am 100% sure I want to be with this man, but nobody is being supportive, yet. They want me to break it off.

Questions:

1) What is life like on the outskirts of Mansoura and in the Mansoura University area? I know it is a smaller city compared to Cairo. But I am curious to know more from as many people as I can, especially any Europeans/Americans who live there or have been there now.

2) How hard is it to obtain work teaching Arabic abroad as highly educated Egyptian national?

Hello Dear
im married to a man from Mansourah too, i disagree to generalise that all Egyptian mens are cheaters,
im Egyptian and from upper egypt whitch is very different from Mansourah culture specially if you will live in a village , as i used to live with forgieners most of my life and i traveld a lot around the world and i have many european friends who come to visit me in my house at one of the poorest villages in mansourah , if you love this man you can go a head i belive in that love do mericals some times just take care and try to learn arabic as soon as you can ,if you wanna full details of life style there just contact my skype hamss.eltohamy
about teaching arabic as a forgien language is very rare chances for egyptians as you know it is only if he have residance in usa he can get a chance
best wishes in all at all
Dr.Hanan

Hi Dr. Hanan

Sorry, I didn't meant to generalize. I was just recounting what I had read on this forum in the divorce in Egypt thread :( A lot of sad stories that make you scared!

I have sent you a personal message. Thanks to any advice you can give.

Welcome Shoulderblade!

Did you visit Egypt and Mansoura before? Before ever considering to move to Egypt you should take 2 or three months to get to know the country, its people and mentality.
Concerning the man - yes, there are a lot of scammers out there. And there are good and honest men, too. Its your turn to find out if he is sincerely in love with you or if he is about money or visa or both. I guess you found some of the warning signs in the numerous threads about marriage or divorce in Egypt.
Good luck!

Caty

Hi Caty,

Hmm... everybody is saying the same thing to me in real life, too. Don't move there until you know this man a lot better than you do. And don't plan to move there permanently until you've tried visiting. So I should heed this advice.  I'm just worried about losing contact with him if he leaves in a few months and I am feeling panicked at the thought. He is trying his best to find a way to stay here longer so we can be together, though he has said he prefers to go back to Egypt sooner rather than later. I hope he is successful in staying here longer because I can't stand the thought of losing him :(

In my opinion such decisions should not be taken in a hurry or under any kind of pressure. Your love should be sincere and strong as such relationship over cultures and maybe religions is never easy. Take it easy, if its meant to be a whole life together is yet to come :)

Caty, I can't help but agree. Trying to take it easy! I am helping my s.o. figure out how he can stay here with me for the year. Best case scenario is he defers his return to Egypt for a while, hopefully a year. Worst case scenario is that he can't do that and we may have to stay long distance for a little bit while I work on visiting him. Because I definitely can't imagine life without him.

I am lucky in that we share the same religion and much of the same culture. My parents are Middle Eastern, but not Egyptian. Still, I was born and raised in the US so I consider myself quite American. It would certainly be an adjustment to live in Egypt as a newlywed... or so they assure me. I don't see it as being impossible, it would just require a lot more of me.

Hi Dear,
i Am Italian Girl, living in Jordan since the past 3 years, an i am engaged with an Egyptian guy from Mansoureh, actually in a village 1 hour east of Mansourah.
I know how is frustrating heard all the people tellig you that you should be careful, cuz he maybe will just use you  for a visa, and Bla Bla BLa....
I am with him since 2 years, we tried to married here in Jordan we got all the perper necessary for the marriage but every time here in Jordan they make a problem. Last year i got to go in Egypt with him and make the engagement party, since is a very conservative place i had to wear their customs (Abayeh and Yejab) but my experience there it was very nice, parole were very kind, and friendly and the parents of Ahmed (my fiancé) are so good with me. Mansourah It a big city but any way its still conservative and by my decision i was wearing Yejab, the day i didn't i was feel uncomfortable!
For me to live permanently there it will not be suitable, i am a Party girl, i like to go outside with friends have fun, for the month spent there the city was quite die.
So in the end of the year i finish my contract in Jordan and me and my fiancé we are planning to move in Egypt but since i have a diploma in Tourism we opted for Sharm or Hurgada.
I wish you all the best in your love story.