Close

Vietnamese translation needed

please could somebody help me with the following translation

giống ngọ hồi đó o vn đợi nị ghe... ngày nào cũng 5h mấy dậy :))

Chac aị đang iu ksc dữ lắm

many thanks

you can use google translate its not 100% accurate but will help to figure out the meaning which is not bad.

thanks for your reply. unfortunatly when it comes to vietnamese, google translate isnt even 50% accurate. sometimes comes up with crazy different answears, especially when there are vietnamese abreviations and short used. so i need someone to do an actual translation.

thanks all the same

seems the person who wrote is still learning or didn't wrote it properly, the exact translation is,
"Just like me waiting for you before when I was in vietnam. Everyday wake up at 5 am. :)).
Somebody must be loving ksc a lot. "

my wife is vietnamese so it is not google translation ;)

greatly  appreciated.
thank you very much for your help

Your friend said it in Central accent though :)

Central accent!!! It is not national language for sure.

Someone can help me? I would like to translate Vietnamese phrase!

What do you need to be translated, Sirus?

Hi Ciambella! Can i send you in private?

Yep.

to your question:
"..just like me waiting for you when we still in Vietnam....waked up at around 5am
...probably loving someone pretty much..."
btw, it's a slang, not central accent.

christine thuy :

btw, it's a slang, not central accent.

I also noticed the error, but since the question and answer occurred 2.5 years ago, I didn't bother to correct SaradSharma's translation.  However, now that you brought it up:

You're correct that's it's not Central dialect, but "ngộ" and "nị" are not slangs either.  They're the phonetic spellings of I and you in Mandarin Chinese.  You probably have heard the expression "ngộ ai nị" before.  That's phonetic for "I love you" in Mandarin.

"Ngộ" and "nị" have been used for many decades by (some) Vietnamese when their relationships were not clearly defined.  It's much easier to use foreign words than to address the other person by a wrong term.  Vietnamese youth in the States are the same way, they call each other "you" while conversing in Vietnamese.  It's simpler and less chance for hurt feeling.

Ciambella :

You're correct that's it's not Central dialect, but "ngộ" and "nị" are not slangs either.  They're the phonetic spellings of I and you in Mandarin Chinese.  You probably have heard the expression "ngộ ai nị" before.  That's phonetic for "I love you" in Mandarin.

"Ngộ" and "nị" have been used for many decades by (some) Vietnamese when their relationships were not clearly defined.  It's much easier to use foreign words than to address the other person by a wrong term.  Vietnamese youth in the States are the same way, they call each other "you" while conversing in Vietnamese.  It's simpler and less chance for hurt feeling.

A little correction here:
"ngộ" or ngoh is cantonese, not mandarin. In mandarin it's "wǒ ai ni"
"nị" is you in mandarin

Or am I wrong here?

I have zero knowledge of Cantonese so I cannot say anything about the pronunciation.  What I knew of Mandarin was limited to one year of college prerequisite course taken in Chợ Lớn (now a large part of Q5) in the early '70s. 

From what I learned, "ngộ" is Central/Southwestern Mandarin while "wǒ" is Beijing Mandarin.  Beijing Mandarin, of course, is the official one.  However, there were/are a lot more Chinese in Central and Southwest China than in Beijing, and there was hardly any Chinese who lived in Saigon came from Beijing, so the dialect one heard in Chợ Lớn leaned more towards Central/Southwestern Mandarin.

With that being said, Cantonese was probably spoken more among the Chinese in Saigon than either of the two Mandarin dialects, but since I wasn't required to learn Cantonese, I was blissfully ignorant of the practice.

In the '60s, Saigonese took "ngộ" and "nị" from their neighbours in Chợ Lớn, incorporated into their verbal language, and the terms are still being used today.

This thread has turned into a very interesting linguistic discussion. Great stuff! Thanks

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam