Housing Options for Canada

There is no doubt that the cost of living in PARTS of Canada is higher than in areas where most immigrants are coming from. Vancouver and Toronto are among the most expensive and housing is the largest part of that living expense.

Here are some more affordable ideas that you might want to look into further:
- work for accommodation. If you have some skill that someone may need you might be able to barter your services (programming, cooking, writing, event management, etc.)
- renting a larger space with some roommates or other family (this has been done for decades)
- buying a home using money from a group of investors (family and friends) from your existing town of origin
- communal home where you all own part of the home and live together sharing the bathrooms & kitchen

If you know of any others, please share them.

Thanks for share your tips

And I have one question what cities are cheaper to rent?

There are hundreds of cities in Canada. The more isolated or the less desirable ones are the ones with less rent and they tend to be the smallest ones. Use the 'MetroActive Neighbourhood Selector Tool' to find your ideal city.

Thank you very much Minaudo

I'll try that tool

A cheaper option if you are in the position of buying, in Vancouver, is to look for condo developments that offer properties on long-term leased land, rather than full land ownership. As much of Vancouver and the North Shore is built on native-owned reserves, many developments offer affordable condos - high-rise or townhouse style - on 99 year leased land. You might find something at half the price of a regular condo.
I don't know if such deals exist in Toronto. Best to ask a local real estate agent. Mortgage rates are at an all time low now so that also makes ownership more attractive than renting.

Graemek wrote:

A cheaper option if you are in the position of buying, in Vancouver, is to look for condo developments that offer properties on long-term leased land, rather than full land ownership. As much of Vancouver and the North Shore is built on native-owned reserves, many developments offer affordable condos - high-rise or townhouse style - on 99 year leased land. You might find something at half the price of a regular condo.
I don't know if such deals exist in Toronto. Best to ask a local real estate agent. Mortgage rates are at an all time low now so that also makes ownership more attractive than renting.

If you are considering this option, there are many things you should understand both about this type of long-term lease and mortgage financing for foreigners or newcomers to Canada. Contact me if you're interested.

Let's not forget that this is a forum for expats. As an expat based here in Canada, lets hear what they have to say about this.