Cost of living

Hi Friends,

I am an Indian and planning to move to Kuwait with my family. My office is situated in Safat and am searching for admission in Gulf Indian school in Fahaheel. Would like to know the distance between these places. Could you please suggest which will be the best place to live with family of 2 adults & 2 kids

While giving your opinion, I would request you to mention the monthly expected cost for the following

House Rent
Groceries
Car expense
land line rent
Mobile rent
Electricity
Internet
TV
Schooling for 2 kids
Misc

If I have to take a driving license, how difficult it is and what are the procedures

Can anybody give me some inputs on the above ?

Best Regards,
MSW

Hi Manusreedhar!

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

Am sure that active members will soon respond to your query.

Wishing you all the best!

Regards
Sheetul

Hi Manu Sreedhar

House Rent
Groceries
Car expense
land line rent
Mobile rent
Electricity
Internet
TV
Schooling for 2 kids
Misc

First of all welcome to Kuwait,,,,,,where u can call it is one of the highly currency rated country in this world

Manu, as far as you are concerned with the facilities , u have lot of options

1)House rent: U can select so many places,like sharq,salmiya,maidan hawaly,jabriya,hawally,shab...... these are nearest places where you easy bus acess to kuwait city,regarding the school ,i would suggest if you live in salmiya,there are lot of indian school,having high standard of education,for example Indian Community School,Donsbosco school,Indian Public Scholl,Al-Amal School,and there are lot of international schools,hawally english schools,British school Of kuwait,but their system and fees structure is lil high, i would say ,but indian schools ,fees are comparitively low while we think about international schools.anywayz u have lot of choice , if you stay in salmiya or in any of these areas which i mentioned above.

2)Groceries: I would say , in salmiya and other places, you can find easily indian vegetable shops,other than that, there are lot of shopping mall, like city center,sultan center,gulf mart,lulu center ,which will help you to purchase the stuffs you need to start a life here,and prrice for groceries,comparitvely ;low in sultan ,but i would suggest ,if u go to city center,u can choose vegetable,food beverages,what all things you need ............

3)car expense: I would say here, if you hire taxi, it is expensive,if you dont have a license, you better high transportation or you can go by bus,but if you have any ideas to buy a car for your own m its better,cos you have family,and getting a license is not much easier than before,atleast 450 kd is the salary limit,where you can apply for a license directly,and you must be graduate or any other professional,if you are a engineer or medico ,u can get easily the license,cos they have prefferance,and there is no salary limits for them,first of all you have to attest your certificates from indian,and transalate it into arabic,then you can apply for that,but there is one condition if you are coming in other categories ,u have to stay in kuwait for atleast one year ,and then only you can apply for license,but if your company is providing the license,,,,,,,,it is good.

4)Landline rent & Mobile: landline is cheaper in kuwait,cos ministry of communication is charging only 30 kd every year for local calls,and mobile ,it is expensive for international calls,but to make local calls,it is cheaper,and here there are three companies offering differant schemes for mobile,internet,and internet ofcourse it is expensive here

Internet rates as far as i know

for 600 kd capacity : 14.500 kd per month
7 mb : 27 kd per month
and it will higher as you choose a wireless modem

or you can take DSL packages ,which offer for six months or 1 year.please check the sites ,then choose one ,which is applicable for you,for land line connection, u have to apply in ministry of communication ,then they will help you to set up a land line .

5)Electricity :When you hire a appartment,just check with the building owners ,whether they are charging rent including electricity and water,some of them take rent like that,some will ask you to pay money for water and electricity seperate,try to find a good place,and u have to sign one year contract with the landlord ......for that , u need marriage certificate,copy of your residence,passport copies

6)The rent in salmiya is little high,but it is a peace full place,no t to much crowded,and ease of acess for your work,lot of advantages,if you are choosing salmiya or nearest areas,

so , i wish you will come soon to kuwait ,and will find a nice place to live in ,manage everything safely,and my regards to your family

regards

indian