Kalkara

Does anyone live in Kalkara or The Three Cities I like the areas but want to know what transport is like, have to get to Paola, Marsa and Sliema for work thanks...

Go to public transport Malta website or Google maps

maltaangel wrote:

Does anyone live in Kalkara or The Three Cities?

Yes, I am sure because I've seen a lot people there and a lot of houses: putting two and two together, I am reasonably confident that some people live there.

maltaangel wrote:

I like the areas but want to know what transport is like, have to get to Paola, Marsa and Sliema for work thanks...

Serious reply:
Paula is within walking distance.
Many busses to Marsa
For Sliema: There is no direct bus. You have to change at Valletta or Mater Dai Hospital which adds to the journey time.

Sorry for my SOH ;)

Yes sure I know people live there ! ;) I meant to say if they do do they like it, find it friendly etc :)

Looking in Google maps 2 and 3 goto valletta change at Paola for marsa park and ride or mater Dei
From valletta get 22 ,12,13,15 for sliema

It was of course clear what you're asking maltaangel! I just took your question literally.  I couldn't let such a good chance of a smile or two go to waste! ;) and am pleased you can see the funny side of it.

It's similar to people asking me in the street "Excuse me, do you speak English?" (in English of course) when they really want to know something else :-  I try to point out that the question is redundant: if people can understand them, they would answer their real question!! ;)

I hope you will be happy in Kalkara. There is good market nearby.

We have now lived in Senglea over 4 years and enjoy every minute of it. We don't drive. Easy reach to Valletta with the small ferry (or bus 1), easy to Paola by bus, ok to Marsa. Getting to Sliema takes a lot longer (at least 45 minutes) as you must change buses, either under "Bombi" or in Valletta. Sometimes we just take two ferries (Senglea/Vittoriosa to Valletta, then walk over to the Marsamxett side for the ferry to Sliema. Note that a larger ferry should be introduced (hopefully this spring) between Valletta and the Three Cities.

The Three Cities are very friendly and there's a good mix of local Maltese and Expats, some residing all year, some commuting from their original country. It's very international and very varied. Working class Maltese, once they know you're here to stay, tend to be very helpful.

As mentioned by someone, there's a large market every tuesday in Birgu and a weekly, small farmers' market on saturday. Good supermarkets in Fgura and Zabbar. Good meat at Chef's Choice on the way to Marsascala.

Just to update we moved to Paola and although yes excellent shopping and buses....there is no social life as such, no restaurants which seems very strange and no way nice even to go for lunch. I wish I had stuck with my original plan of the three cities... !!

Well now you know where to move too next  - in the meantime your only a bus ride away from marsaskala marsaxlokk etc and within walking distance of the gallerija at fgura - great little place there to eat open all day