Giving birth in Tunisia?

Hi,

I am expecting my first child late this year and I often wonder how the birth system in Tunisia differs from the States? Any advice or pointers I may need to be aware of?

I know everything will be alright but as a first mother we tend to worry more especially when living in a new country.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Freebird,
Congratulations on your pregnancy and upcoming birth! I've had both of my children in Tunisia and it was great. The doctors are extremely competent as were the midwives and nurses. A natural birth at a private clinque costs around 600 dinars whilst a c-section is about 1500.  If you want your husband to be present while you're giving birth you need to let your gyn/obn know beforehand. If you want to have a natural birth and don't want an epidural make sure you let your obn/gyn know before hand. I found the midwives and nurses very insistent on giving me medication when I didn't want it. Just make sure you stand your ground!Remember as well to you bring EVERYTHING with you...baby sheets/blankets/clothes/baby shampoo/nappies etc as the clinque doesn't supply these things.
Hope this helps! Crispym

Thank you for your feedback I will keep all your tips in mind ;)

Did you have your babies in Tunis or another part of Tunisia?

I had both my children in Tunis but most private clinques around the country offer the same services.

Gongratulations FreeBird :)