Moving to DR in 10 days!! What to bring, etc.

Woo hop 10 more days and we'll be out of this frigid weather. I hope the rain has stopped! I look forward to maybe meeting some of you. I think Bob and I will practically be neighbors, right Bob!?

So I have a few questions that I thought you all might be able to give me some insight on.

1. Linens/bedding: Is there a place to buy good quality ones locally? I was considering packing some, but of course that takes up a lot of luggage space!

2. Does anything jump to mind that you would suggest I bring (that I might not have considered) because you can't find it there?

3. Immunizations: Did any of you get any before you moved? I'm asking mainly for my toddler. I left a message with the doctor but haven't heard back yet, so just thought I'd put it out on here to see what others have done.

Any other thoughts or suggestions, based off of your memory from making the move, or based off of what is "new" or  currently "transpiring in town?" haha  :cheers:

Quality linens can be hard to find.

Almost everything else can be found here but more expensive and maybe not the same quality.

Good extension cords, a trickle charger if you plan on getting a car.  A good power drill.

Like I said almost anything can be gotten here these days.

Good luck.  Let me know when you get here.

Bob K

If you use a particular brand of cosmetics etc ask us about availability.  Bob is right good sheets etc are hard to find and expensive.

You don't need shots or anything but make sure your child is up to date.

Thinking like a woman @planner !! HAHA I am already ahead of the game there and have stocked up, at least for the first few months. We actually have to be back in the states for the month of May, so I figure I will have a better idea of what to bring back at that time.

I use some higher quality skincare cosmetics - Jane Iredale, PCA, ZO...but am happy with more basic brands for basic things like lipgloss and so forth.

I had a feeling about linens, glad I asked!

You won't find those brands here honey.......   think high end hair care too. BUT local products are excellent for hair.  Yup I cannot help thinking like a woman......   :D

Things to bring:  Adaptability ---- Patience ---- Money ---- Anger Management ---- And most important of all.... A Sense Of Humor !!       Have fun,  life is not a dress rehearsal.

Awesome post!!!!!!

Oh believe me Gypsy, I have all of that, and more!  ;) But I still like to be prepared with little comforts like this when I can.

My family is not new to traveling abroad or being amongst other cultures. I'm also Puerto Rican, have spent months at a time in PR (on the ocean and more inland with family and little creature comforts), and I speak spanish. We love adventure and do not have unrealistic expectations of living in DR, or any of the other countries we will be exploring.

It's great to have this forum. Thank you all for contributing.

See you in 8 days!

Gook luck and have a safe trip

Bob K