Renewal of permesso di soggiorno (from one state to other in Italy)

Dear all,

I have finished my post doc contract with INFN Bari-Italy on 24th of January 2015 and my permesso di soggiono expired on 14th of January 2015. I have got another contract in INFN Bologna-Italy starting from March 2015. I am informed by Questura di Bari that I need to go back to my country (India) and ask for the VISA in Italian embassy and I m not allowed to renew my permesso in Italy. The reason given is that this case involves the change in company. Does someone have some suggestions for this situation? Please share ur experience if u ever had such.

Thanks,
Simranjit.

Hello Simranjit and welcome to Expat.com

While waiting for some members to give you some feedback on your query, I invite you to browse through the threads in our forum section Visas for Italy

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hello. Italy does not have states, it has regions. The regions have many government functions but granting sojourn   permits is not one of them. This is done by the Interior (Police) Ministry, a national entity, which handles sojourn permits though its police commissaries, or though the main police station in whatever town you are living in.  So if you have moved, these are the people to see. You should also take out legal residence in the Anagrafe - or registry office - of the town you live in. To do this you will need to show your permesso and possibly a rental agreement as well. You can probably avoid getting residency but remember you need it if you want to buy a car or motorbike. And, of couse, if you are working you should be paying taxes.