The situation on renting

So upon our arrival here, we've spoke to 6 letting agencies and numerous agents within each agency.

Our budget for 2 bedrooms is 300 to 450 euro in a central location.

What we was told is that in the budget landlords are taxed higher, so prices are up!!!

Demand is Higher, which puts prices up!!!. One agent told me he would have 3 or 4 people interested. Now he has 20 to 25 people interested in each property!!!!!!

And that foreigners who relocate here, leave not because they can't find work, but because they can't find a place to live.

I have seen rentals of rooms go for prices ive been told furnished apartments used to go for!!

Luckily we have savings,  and family to stay but the first place we viewed we really liked, and is in budget.

I am saying this as a message of warning just be prepared that properties are expensive are below 500+ are rare. Have savings, have a plan and for the love of god don't believe letting websites.

They are massively out of date.

Jack

this is why i don't trust letting agents ... They want you to spend more so they get more

If you go on Malta park you will find lot of 2 bed properties for about €350
I'm not saying demand isn't high but if you put the legwork in you will find property for you

Property moves fast so don't hang around but don't let a letting agent make you spend more than you need too

Robpw2 if you call a handfull of these places i will bet a pint they'll be taken!

Letting agents 95% aren't worth the time. However a few are decent people.

We've found a place so we're happy but it could so easily be different for us.

Jack

ALL and I mean ALL agents are bent, crooks and liars!

I have a golden Midas. Any properties I have touched either to sell or to let, "just been sold" "just let this morning" bla bla bla

Any property I do get to see has several other interested parties in the same position as I; cash ready,  have no hang ups, ready to move, ready to sign the contract this afternoon bla bla bla

They are ALL bent and crooks. There are good reasons for that: they don't get a wage! They are self employed and on commission only.

Properties exist within your budget even in very popular Sliema. I've seen them and more to the point I live in one. Admittedly they're few and far between and go quickly. Demand is not high across the board, certainly not at this time of year. You will very easily find it yourself in Bugibba for instance. Complete fallacy to say people are leaving the island because they have nowhere to stay: an absolute pack of lies....

Hi, Jack, I agree with some of what your saying but it depends on where in malta you want to live..... Central malta , Sliema, St Julian's etc ... Yes can be costly but North malta, bugibba, xemxija, Mellieħa... Not costly at all.... I have just moved into a massive 2 bed maisonette in Mellieħa with yard , own roof own entrance for €380 per month.... And I viewed lots between €350 to €450 per month... Don't always believe what agents say.... Tell them what you want.. Not them tell you, don't think there all crooks... Some of them just do it part time and are not pushy, not like the full time ones that rely totally on that income. Don't forget an owner also wants you to provide a income for them renting there property and can also be extreamly pushy! I had one once tell me to get back to her in 1 hour or it will be gone.... 3 days later she was still asking me if I wanted and she could do me a good deal! .... I replied what happened to all the people interested lol! I recommend to anyone spend a month viewing property and learning how it works out here!

Cheers
Darryl

there are plenty properties to be had  - its all about what you wish to spend  - i agree with other posters that many lies and untruths are being said by agents - i dont trust any of them...

more importantly ask about the bills - make sure the landlord will give you residential utility tariffs and NOT DOMESTIC as that is expensive.... if they wont and want cash payments or cash payment for the utilities up front be wary - very very wary.......

dont be fooled by the smiley smiley landlord and agent who say " oh its cheap here" or "dont worry about that" do worry about it, dont accept anything less than residential  _or should i say dont accept anything  more than residential tariff......... you will regret it in the long term

dont accept water charged to you at rates like €5 -€6 per unit or electricity charges above 16c.......

also be aware of tv and internet packages that exist in the property too  - they may be cheap to the landlord as an extension or part of their own existing package they have and they may be charging you  more privately....

do your homework make sure you know the answers to these questions  - read your contract carefully - if not happy have changes made, or if they wont make changes dont sign it and dont hand over cash until you have the keys and acceptable contract, know the utility charges and that they are residential tariffs......

good luck

Jackjpc, whilst I acknowledge that is your opinion I can only think that you are making a lot of generalised assumptions and that your statements are misleading to others.
Only a fool believes what a salesperson tells them. Think about it.

Im just sharing my experience.

Take it with a pinch of salt!

But my opinion is just as valid as any other.

Jack

may i just say that this thing about the landlords being taxed higher only affects the rentals rate if they actually declare it in the first place and most dont...hence cash transactions and refusal to sign form H....  old habits die hard and methinks a lot are too far gone to change to start trusting a government entity they massively distrust....

i can also see a situation where the landlords will use the recent changes to taxes as a commercial opportunity and a means of increasing rental rates and thus their tax free gains on the grounds of tax increases that they will never ever declare

welcome to malta

Toon wrote:

i can also see a situation where the landlords will use the recent changes to taxes as a commercial opportunity and a means of increasing rental rates and thus their tax free gains on the grounds of tax increases that they will never ever declare

welcome to malta

i have a feeling  my landlord may fall into that caterogory he informs us from april rent will go up by 30 euros ..still cheap mind but he said it was due to taxes at least hes given us two months notice so we can decide what we wish to do

Is it in your contract that he can do that Rob? Our rent and the period for it is fixed.
Here's something that may be of interest. Legally the landlord should issue receipts in a fiscal receipt book that is registered and numbered with the Inland Revenue. The tenant can also held legally responsible, if the landlord is prosecuted for tax avoidance, for failing to ensure that receipts are issued on these fiscal receipts.
Well, that's as it should be but of course................................this is Malta.

I also believe that it is not landlords being taxed higher but having their % tax allowance on the income reduced (assuming they declare it).
However, the tax legislation is a confusing thing to understand, not least, due to typing errors and 'antiquated' language.
But of course.....................this is Malta.

but of course .. this is Malta

is no excuse Red.....

Toon wrote:

but of course .. this is Malta

is no excuse Red.....

Not an excuse Toon,............... just a reality check.

As already indicated the new 15 % flat rate tax on income from rental property replaces the old taxation of rental income according to the personal tax rate ( up to 35 %) . The new tax rate is optional and the old system can still be applied and in some cases be less than the 15 %

So the tax rate on rental income has actually been lowered ( of course only for those who declared their rental income previously).

So anybody using this argument to raise the rent can be presumed to have not declared taxes in the past. Otherwise there is no reason to raise the rent as it will be less than paid in the past !

Cheers
Ricky

Thank goodness someone understands it  :top:

redmik wrote:

Is it in your contract that he can do that Rob? Our rent and the period for it is fixed.
Here's something that may be of interest. Legally the landlord should issue receipts in a fiscal receipt book that is registered and numbered with the Inland Revenue. The tenant can also held legally responsible, if the landlord is prosecuted for tax avoidance, for failing to ensure that receipts are issued on these fiscal receipts.
Well, that's as it should be but of course................................this is Malta.

I also believe that it is not landlords being taxed higher but having their % tax allowance on the income reduced (assuming they declare it).
However, the tax legislation is a confusing thing to understand, not least, due to typing errors and 'antiquated' language.
But of course.....................this is Malta.

Contract ....(lol) as a law student i could write a better contract than our land lord gave us it says i x rent house to y the rent is x etc ... it doesnt have any provision for raising the rent , however i would expect some rent increase and we only originally signed for 6 months so if we agree to stay on in this house past april then i will request certain things from him.
We are going to look for other properties and decide what we want to do

Hes a pretty decent guy though , hes been really helpful with sorting out gas cannisters , and he doesnt come round unless its for the rent and he gets a text to say its ready.

i dont begrudge paying 30 euro more a month for the next year or so but as matt said we might as well look for what else we can get for our money and go from there

Without diminishing your achievement Rob, I reckon most of us could write better contracts. (I co wrote ours with our landlady.) Like the plan, you never know.  :)

redmik wrote:

The tenant can also held legally responsible, if the landlord is prosecuted for tax avoidance, for failing to ensure that receipts are issued on these fiscal receipts.

Do you have a source for that?

You gotta laugh really ........... the crass stupidity of these agents never ceases to amaze ! - with anywhere between 50-60 thousand empty properties on the island , why would they trot out the same old crap , demand so high , 20 others after this property etc etc etc - insults our intelligence really !!!!!

am not so sure that is fact... am sure we have had this chat before....

but the customer has a right to request the vat receipt - but in all honesty it will rarely happen.

Yes I did when I first mentioned it about 2 years ago. I cannot find it at the moment, I will look when I have time.
I wouldn't worry about it though, I don't think anyone bothers.

i think its been more of a case of peopel keep asking and getting nothing so people stopped asking for it.... which suits the "guilty parties"

We used airbnb to find our apartment. We found a very large 3 bedroom apartment for 500 euros a month direct from the landlord.

not all agents are the same - please visit [link moderated] for advice - guidance - some reality checks - utility bills!!! and coming soon free 'ebook' to help get tenants and landlords on the right track...

Hi
The system in Malta is very bad. To rent in Malta I find it is very difficult why
because the estate agents are not keeping their properties up to date. I used to find about 10 apartments on their website when I ring them not one is available. None of them is reliable
It takes sometime to find it. I myself at the moment trying to rent ( long term ) same budget as you
are but no luck at the moment. I am also in contact with an agent but still not going well.
Last week the agent told me she is going to take me to see an apt in St Paul's Bay, she said she will ring me back. Four days  gone not a phone call. Another estate agent I rang given about 5 apartments from their website to check wether is available, he told me he will call me back to let me know two weeks gone not a word.
Sorry to disappoint you but it is true. Please do register with Maltapark.com, ( free )  better chance of finding one
Terry

I would be obliged if anyone could please give me advice on Utility Bills.
My wife and I have been living in Malta since 11.December.2014 and renting a flat in Xemxija.
Our water and electricity are calculated by our landlord using ARMS Portal for Utilities/Bill Calculator.
Our first bill on 10.January.2015. in the form of this ARMS Portal for Utilities was calculated has residential and with number of persons registered as nil.
The second bill we received today 09.February.2015. has been calculated as non residential so therefore the service charge for the water and also the electricity has almost doubled and we are still registered as nil persons.
Can someone please tell us which one is correct, are we resident or non resident.We have just text the landlord about this who text us back to tell us first bill was wrong and we have to be non resident.
I would be obliged if someone would tell us which is correct.
Will it make a difference when we receive our ID Cards whether we are resident or non resident.
Also should the landlord have completed the blue and white ARMS Form when we started paying the utility bills   

Thank You. Terry

By non-residential do you mean "domestic"? The domestic rate is much higher than the residential rate. To get on residential rate, you need your landlord to endorse Form H. Technically, they should, especially if you have your ID cards (although I think they're supposed to even with just a passport). In practice, it might be very unlikely to happen. It's an ongoing problem in Malta.

But I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your first residential bill calculated the number of persons as nil? That doesn't make sense. The domestic rate calculates persons as zero, and the residential rate records the numbers of persons living in the property and allocates allowances accordingly.

This Facebook group is very helpful, and Patricia knows loads about all this, and is working very hard on behalf of tenants to change the situation, and to help those with problems: 'Up In Arms' EU Advisory Group, Malta. If you can find it and join, then it's worth doing.

Hi Terry,

the calculated bills from the ARMS website only give back what you ( or your landlord) put in !

There are three tarif options in Malta:
Domestic
Residential
Non-residential = commercial

Residential with zero registered persons is domestic and the most expensive option.

You should ask your landlord to see the actual ARMS bill to check what you should pay and whether the tarif is correct.
The landlord has to sign the form to register persons for the residential rate and you do not need to have a residence card to do this. Passport is also ok !

Cheers
Ricky

Thank You for your quick reply.
This landlord has got us down as non residential and 0 persons registered. So you are saying that we could be Domestic or Commercial which is an higher tariff. We are confused which should we be on and do you think the landlord trying to pull a fast one on us

Further to my last post I originally did ask the landlord to complete her section on the H form when we paid our first rent in January but she told us it wasn't necessary.

you are probably on the domestic rate. The only way you could on the residential rate (to which you are legally entitled) is by getting the landlord to fill out the relevant forms and send them to ARMS. If that hasn't happened, then you are on the domestic rate.

Whether or not the landlord will agree to fill out the forms is a whole issue in itself.

Many don't. Yes, in a way he is conning you, as you are entitled to be on the residential rate. But if the landlord refuses to submit the relevant forms, there is very little you can do about it. As I said, it's a problem, but there are people trying to change the situation. For future reference, don't rent anywhere unless it's agreed in advance that you will be on the residential rate. You are definitely not alone - loads of people are stuck in this position.
You should be on the residential rate, but if the landlord wants to keep you on the domestic rate, then you are stuck with the higher tariffs as long as you stay there.

Oh, she is wrong if she says it wasn't necessary. It is necessary to fill out Form H to get on the residential rate. There's no other way of doing it.

Thank You Slanted,

We are going to try and have it out tomorrow with her. We will let you know of the outcome.

Thanks Terry

Good luck :)

residents =nil  equates to the much more expensive domestic rate (designed for summer residences and properties used very little as declared by the owner) ask your landlord to fill in form H and claim your right to the residential rate in your primary residence... If he refuses which is likely as he is likely to be evading tax...... they ARE lying to you..no doubt about that....... you may be forced to move out....

why should you pay 30-65%  more for the same power and water he uses... to satisfy his greed to evade tax thats why...

NOTE as long as he agrees to sign the form H and give you a copy of his id card front and back you can submit the request to arms for the change with just passports for each consumer and lease document...  note also the more there are registered against the account the cheaper your bills become

(Moderated: no free ads here please)

Thanks for the Advice Toon

Thank You

http://maltatenantsupport.weebly.com/bl … hree-rates

1.  Residential zero persons registered is actually the DOMESTIC rate

2.  Residential with the no. of persons registered greater than zero is the RESIDENTIAL rate.

3.  You cannot register anyone on the NON RESIDENTIAL tariff.  This is the commercial or business rate.

This landlord like many others is playing silly games due to their need to cheat the government..... despite an amnesty in taxes (to a degree) to encourage these fraudsters to regularise their tax position... they will not do so because they are so used to doing it and reaping the benefits at the expense of the tax paying permanent resident tenants.... and whats more they know damn fine there is not much the gov can do to chase them or find out who they are..... unless they are reported to the tax compliance unit.... http://mfin.gov.mt/en/tcu-home/Pages/default.aspx