Cost of living in muscat and expected salary

Hi,

This is Subodh Joshi, i am living in new dehli and working as Assistant manager , i have been offered a job in muscat as senior engineer and as per my initial discussion they might offer me anywhere between 620 to 750 OMR or 100000 to 120000 INR . without accommodation and transportation . Since my profile would be of sales ,so that they also want me to buy a car .

My question here is

1- What should i demand in my final interview in terms of salary and other perks . its my first interview for this kind of opportunity , so i really dont have any idea  :|

2- What is the cost of living for a single eligible  bachelor  ;)

PS : I am mechanical engineer and MBA in marketing and operations with 3 year of exp.

Subodh

If you could have reviewed the various posts, pertaining to the cost of living, you would have had an idea about the same. OMR 750 without accommodation is not so worthy package, however since you're a bachelor, you may consider the acceptance to certain extent.
Please see the following replies to your queries.

1- What should i demand in my final interview in terms of salary and other perks . its my first interview for this kind of opportunity , so i really dont have any idea

Generally, in Oman, the employers don't give much room of negotiations, but you must negotiate the package. In my opinion, if the employer don't agree to increase the package amount, you must try to ask for accommodation. It will certainly relieve you from much of the troubles as the accommodation cost is too high in Oman. 

The second option is to try negotiating for the Salary increment to (Atleast) OMR 1K and that would certainly take you somehow a comfort zone. The Engineering degree doesn't worth for a 3 figure salary package, trust me    :)

2- What is the cost of living for a single eligible  bachelor

Assuming the worst scenario if your employer doesn't negotiate, you can still save around 30% of your total income, provided that you keep a low profiled lifestyle.

@schaz : :) Thanks for the reply man , i had gone through various post of this forum related to same topic , but that made me more confused , reason behind
1 - Some post suggest that 650-750 OMR is good enough to start and you could save almost 50% of it .
2 - Most of the post were old and i wanted to understand the current scenario , my employer has also suggested that , if i share the room with one more person and eat in normal middle class eating point , then i could save around 50% of my salary .

Though your reply is very helpful , but it has scared me a bit , what if my employer does not agree to both of the points and stick to his package .

subodh.joshi wrote:

@schaz : :) Thanks for the reply man , i had gone through various post of this forum related to same topic , but that made me more confused , reason behind
1 - Some post suggest that 650-750 OMR is good enough to start and you could save almost 50% of it .
2 - Most of the post were old and i wanted to understand the current scenario , my employer has also suggested that , if i share the room with one more person and eat in normal middle class eating point , then i could save around 50% of my salary .

Though your reply is very helpful , but it has scared me a bit , what if my employer does not agree to both of the points and stick to his package .

I agree to what your employer has suggested. If you share a room with another person and opt a middle class lifestyle, you can save 50% of your income, but the question is that are you really looking forward to be categorized in the middle class, considering a mid-career, that too in sales and above all, having an engineering degree ?  Its purely your choice and one should respect it. My reply, pertaining to your saving percentage was based on renting a studio or a 1BR apartment in a mid-life area.

As I always say, a person is the best judge of himself. So decide yourself based on the numerous posts and let us know if needed any further clarification

P.S, i would also like to add here that you may not be able to switch a job in Oman as the small scale employers don't usually grant an NOC if the employee leaves the company. And no NOC means No entry to Oman for 2 consistent years.

Thanks for the help man , will ask them to have review on my package :-)

And what should i quote finally and what should be the minimum exceptance level

Obviously, it's more of a personal choice, but the salary package is not too attractive considering cost of living.

Thanks guys , i have given the final round of interview and have asked for the 1000-1200K OMR , will let you guys know wats their take on this .