Black list of lendlords (Varna)

Hello, dear neighbors.  It's about 1,5  years since we moved to Bulgaria (my family and 2 more couples, our close friends). We live in rental apartments  (our friends) and at rental house (my family). 2/3 of us had a problem with lendlords.

All that I write here is my own experience, if yours is better - you are lucky :)

The main problem here is to get back your deposit. As usual lendlord already spent money you gave as deposit so If you want to re-sign the rental agreement it's ok but if you want to rent another apartment - it's almost impossible to get your money back especially if you paid 2 rental amounts as our friends did.

I'll not write all details here, it's a long stories, each of them, but the fact is that you can do nothing, yes, you have the agreement (signed, with the correct amounts etc) but landlord doesn't have money so you just rent another place and trying to get your money back, with un-answered calls, with сancelled meetings, with a lot of reasons why you will not get your money back (you found out that you left ruined property and it's your fault). So you was a perfect partner when you paid your rent exactly in time, fixed small problems like not-working AC, but as soon as you decided to move to another place - you are the enemy #1.

So please find below my small black list of landlords we had bad fortune to met here. If you have somebody to add to this list - just share your experience.

We lost money and time with that people, hope that my posting will be helpful for others. Especially for new expats.

1. House in Vinitsa for rent, it's also on sale. Situated on Cherno More street, house doesn't have the administrative address, so you can't get the registration there (landlord promised to get  it but didn't, he also decided to continue the agreement for the next year if we'll pay 2 more deposits (we already paid one actually)
Landlord - Ognyan Kasabav.

2. Our friends still hoping to get their deposit back so they  asked not to put landlord's name here right now but it's 3 beedrooms apartment near Chataldzha, rental price is 750 leva, it also has the stove on balcony lol

We had the same problem in Galata, Varna... We had an open contract, and gave 1 month notice, our landlords said we only gave 2 weeks notice, and then found a bunch of broken things in the house, many of which (like the window blinds in the kitchen) we had not touched, or the fact that their circuit breaker was installed improperly and so they couldn't run two large appliances at the same time, they tried to say we broke their stove. (The stove worked, as long as you were not running anything else at the same time as it).

We actually rented from his brother for 6 months before, and his brother kicked us out with a week's notice, because he was in a divorce, and then only paid part of what he agreed to pay for the bran new wood stove we installed and left behind (in agreement) for him.

The whole family was really nice in the beginning, and in the end they were all so nasty. An every one on the street hated them. It is the family attached to the psychic office on horizant in galata.

Sorry for your bad experience, yes getting $$$ back for deposit is nearly impossible, so couple of ways to avoid this is:
1. Use your deposit as last months payment, I know it's not the "right" thing to do but when it comes down to it its you or them.
2. Always rent through an agancy, when leaving let the agent know, if there is any "funny" business make them aware that not only you will post your bad experience on the net with the owner but with the agency too. Agencies that work with expats work widely on word of mouth and if you create enough fuss they will help you get the deposit back, chances are they rent out the place for the owners for many years and the owners wouldn't want to damage the relationship.
Now for deposits, anytime you rent here they will try to get as much money as possible from you, first, last + deposit. Frankly that's BS. Bulgaria is a renters market, so first and ONE month deposit is all you should pay. It's not their policy? They want more? Guess what there are hundreds of other properties to choose from so just walk away, you will be surprised how fast they will be chasing you! Also all rent is negotiable, just because they want 600€ dosent mean they wount take 500€. Remember as hard it is to find a good landlord it's even harder to find good paying tenant and they know that, landlords here prefer to rent to foreigners so you always have that going for you. Unfortunately there are no laws here to protect tenants, meaning there are no real laws that actually work, so you have to watch out for yourself.

kojidae, I'm so sorry to read this.

Kris, thank you for your advices,  actualluy, I can write a big list of advices, especially for those who want rent a house, but I have any idea how to avoid situations like ours :((

the main problem is that you don't have any possibilities to change the situation.

Our friends (who paid 2 deposits) informed landlords 6 weeks before they moved, but landlords saids - ops, but we are so hope to get payment for this month, could you please pay and after that we'll return you full amount of the deposit (yes, I've told them not to do this!!!) But when you pay in time every months you hope for the same atitude from the landlord side.

All of us worked with agency, and agency didn't help us. For example, in our situation, we've been in Italy when our landlord came to Varna for re-signing the agreement. Our agent was there with full authorities, but, anyway, our vacations was totally crashed (it was also my Birthaday), because landlord write us Emails, asked to send him 1000 Eur ASAP in other way "his people will take our things and we'll get them back after the payment". Could you imagine that?

Yep I can totally see how this can happen, people will push you as far as you will let them. You should post the agancy name and the name and # of the agent, so other wount get tricked like this. I hate seeing people taken advantage of just because they are foregners! Very sorry to hear all this.

P.S. Never let your landlord know when you will be out of the country or any future plans you have, thats like inviting them to come by the house when you are not there. Also it's a good idea to change the locks, you don't know who was renting prior to you and still have keys.

Unfortunately, my last 4 landlords (two in Varna and two in Istanbul) have been terrible. Our new landlord seems great (and honestly, a 250 bgn deposit is not that bad to lose, if something happens)--- but then, I have found that in smaller cities it is easier to fin trustworthy people. :) (We are in Gabrovo now)