Teaching English in Brasil

Does anyone know the probability of finding a English teaching Job in Rio or Bello Horizonte.I will be getting certification from a reputable school and would like to know what the Job market is like their..Also if with English teaching Credentials,would it be difficult as well to get a Working Visa...Thanks in advance

Well, unless you already have a VITEM-V Work Visa forget getting one through teaching English at any of the (commercial) language schools in Brazil. They will not assist in any way in the visa process for a number of reasons that I can't publish here. The only way you're going to get a VITEM-V through teaching is if you have some kind of Masters Degree and can land a teaching job in a private university.

Finding jobs at these schools in any Brazilian city is quite simple and traditionally one will walk out of the very first school they try out for with a job offer. That said, they all pay near slave wages and you won't get any guarantee as to the number of classes you will be given.

All schools here in Brazil pay only for actual classroom teaching hours. They do not pay for class preparation or correcting students' homework which must be done on your own time. While some schools will pay bus fare to and from the school, most will not. Traditionally schools take on new teachers as "service providers" under a private contract (Contrato Particular de Prestação de Serviço) so you aren't considered an employee and they therefore do not have to pay any of the benefits that labor laws require employers to pay regular employees.

It's not going to be quite as easy as you thought to come and work here legally as an English teacher. Trust me I've got 13 years experience both living in Brazil and teaching English here.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

James, well with that said if the school, which has Job placement can get my foot into a private school. Do you think that ,that will then open up possibilities for me...I know of several guys who teach their and earn a decent living..one in Salvador and another in Rio..I'm hoping to at least make it their any City ,not necessarily Rio..Do you think it would behoove me to fly their first and do a job search in whatever city that I am interested in first. I also really like Belo Horizonte as an option apart from Rio  and Salvador, Bahia....Are you still currently teaching English and If I may ask ...What city...Thanks in advance....William

I'll send you a private message to explain the situation.

Cheers,
James

My husband currently teaches at Rio International School in Rio de Janeiro. You can totally check us out on Facebook and our website (which is currently down). However, if the website is fixed then jobs for next school year will be posted tomorrow.