Best Place to Live in Canada 2015

Moneysense Canada has always printed an article on the best places to live in Canada for the past few years now.
Best places 2010
http://www.moneysense.ca/property/best- … -live-2010
Best places to live 2013
http://www.moneysense.ca/best-places-2013
Best places to live 2014
http://www.moneysense.ca/canadas-best-p … ll-ranking
Best large cities to live 2014
http://www.moneysense.ca/canadas-best-p … zed-cities
Canada's Best Places to Live 2014: Time to think small
http://www.moneysense.ca/property/canad … hink-small
and here are some of the criteria use by them
http://www.moneysense.ca/property/canad … ideal-city

I am hoping to gather thoughts on what's the criteria for choosing a city and giving it a star for a place to live here in Canada?

Here are my expectations and my verdict (note this is very biased to folks like me and in my industry). I personally choose and prefer mid-sized city and I've chosen Halifax to be my home base. Here are my reasons why?

1) Size (very general and high level): I pick size because its a good indicator of other things. Large megapolis city is bound to be filled with the common problems like higher housing prices (or small cramped up apartments in downtown, like Singapore or HK), over population, longer commuting time, more road congestion, not so friendly folks (in general too)...

2) Housing: This is probably one of the most important thing. I am sure should someone want to stick it out here for the long haul, would prefer that their rental be use to pay for their mortgage instead. Thus a lower home price would be ideal. Not like the monstrously outrageous prices in other major cities like Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto. I bought a semi-detached home 3000 sq ft (less than 5 yrs) with completed basement and sizeable backyard and 10 minutes drive to downtown core, 2 min drive to the outlet stores and shopping mall for approx 360K. Don't think you'll get that in those places.

3) Short commute: You still can buy / rent homes and reasonable distance from your work place. Population size means less cars on the road, means less congestion too.

4) Jobs: Now, some may disagree which is true. More people are headed out west because of job opportunities presented there through the oil and gas industry. But, small-mid sized cities have been reinventing themselves with opportunities for tech start-ups. The fact that you don't have to be based at the centre like Toronto and that tech allows things to be done remotely means, more and more tech companies (especially newer ones), prefer to setup shop in these cities. If one is not in the tech industry, then that's a different story.... Personally, going to a city that is not your typical large city means less competition from other potential candidates. Not many folks would want to settle in the small-mid size cities, I am sure of that - which is a good thing for us who wants to.

5) Universities/Colleges: Access to reasonably good universities (for my kid in the future)... Saint Mary's, Acadia, Mt St Vincent, St Fx, Dal, NSCAD

6) Culture: It may be mid sized but its steep in culture and the arts scene is great. Yearly festivals here like the Jazz festival, Buskers, Tall ships, Celtic Colors etc.

7) Food & drinks: Love the access to local and seasonal food. Annapolis Valley has some of the best greens ever and now they too are going to go big into the wine industry. So yea, I do support local economy sometimes when it makes sense...

8) Free medical

9) Public transport: reasonably good public transport within the downtown core (I used to live downtown and depended on it which ain't that bad. On time, frequent and fair price)

10) Weather: If you ask me, I believe Halifax gotta a better deal than folks inland like Quebec, Moncton, even Toronto! We don't get as much snow and have lesser -20 days in winter than they do! That's because its closer to the ocean and thus brings the temperature slightly higher.

Now here's what is not so good about the place:
1) Higher provincial tax. Yes, second highest in Canada (after Ontario) despite being a small province. But you do benefit from cheaper housing.
2) For those not in tech like I am, then job is scarce.
3) Lesser malls. True. But its all relative right. Do you really want to visit every mall?
4) Lesser choice for goods. True for me, but listen, I'd pay a visit to a major city like Toronto (for pleasure and for business) either ways every year. So I'll hold any major purchases I need to make until then.
5) Not as many like minded immigrant communities. For me, this is a bummer, but I've learned to lived with it. You can't get everything. If you can meet at least 60 - 70% of your criteria, then you're in good hands.

minaudo wrote:

I've checkout out your post and in the end you and I agree with some very important points:
1. It is a matter of suitability to the individual what city they live in
2. Cities have more people and crowds

I encourage you to consider a couple of things. Firstly, you say you lived in Toronto for more than a week. Really Phillip, you can't compare Toronto if you haven't even gotten to know the city (as with any large city) and established your routine. I have lived in many cities myself and traveled to many, many countries. As a student of urban planning and real estate representative, I can tell you that Toronto has more options to offer for all types of lifestyles than any other city I have visited inside or outside Canada. If you want a laid back lifestyle without crowds, Toronto can provide that. There are some very low density neighbourhoods with lots of green space where a large portion of the pockets have lived there for 30 years or more.

In regards, to Ottawa (Canada's Capital), It is a city that some people can live in comfortably, but it is certainly not a city I would find interesting, to put it politely. The city is full of politicians, bureaucrats, academics and consultants. Though I do really appreciate the Rideau Canal, especially during winter skating season.

Niagara-on-the-lake provides a very good laid back lifestyle while being accessible to several large cities and the best of both worlds.

Back to why people live in larger cities. I myself, I was born in a smaller town in Southern Italy, which is as grass-roots and community-centric as you can get. In fact, to this day it is mostly an agrarian community with a tourism component because it is on the mediterranean ocean. In fact, when I go back to vacation and I have for as much as 2 months at a time, I have enjoyed it immensely. However, I could not stay any longer because of what I was not able to have while there. The high-speed internet, access to social networks of world experts in every field, free medical care, cheap and readily accessible public transportation, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like the small community feel and that is why I vacation in non-urban communities. Fortunately, I have been able to find the small community lifestyle within Toronto by making specific life-choices, such as which neighbourhood to live in, which activities to pursue and groups to join.

Here is more to add to the list of what you're giving up for small town living:
- world class doctors able to give you the best treatment and possibly save your life in different medical situations
- the highest paying jobs
- the largest pool of jobs
- the largest selection of restaurants representing every culture of the world
- sizeable ethnic communities representing every group in the world
- public transit
- huge selection of community centres and resource centres
- thousands of street and inside festivals
- world scale concerts, performances, trade and consumer shows
- police force equipped to help you in any situtation
- large selection of educational institutions (and courses) Toronto has more of these than any other city in Canada and possibly the U.S. (when you consider all the private schools, which explains the tremendous number of foreign students); University of Toronto, York University (where the world renowned Schulich School of Business is based), Ryerson University, Seneca College, Centennial College, George Brown College, and the list just keeps going.
- large selection of shops and the latest in fashion, gadgets and more
- being able to find something to eat within 5 minutes
- huge competition among grocery chains and independent grocers offering great pricing and quality of product
- quick emergency services response
- being able to find something to do 24 hours a day

These are things that are important to many people, but not to all people. In fact, there are lots of people that move out of the large cities. Many of my clients are corporate executives looking to retire and they're buying country homes in preparation for a move down the road. There are three communities that they seem to be attracted to post-Toronto. However, these people have already made their money, raised their children and used the 'big city' for what they needed. Now they are kicking back, doing their fishing, gardening, travelling. Yet, they seem to come back to the city when it is time for health care.

Hope that helps.

source of quote: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 00#2390444
Great conversation. I was making a point on the fact that there's more than a quarter of people who actually do things like choosing where to live based on what other people have to say, just like reading the forums. Which is why its good to have a balance view and also healthy discussion much like what we are having now. I encourage people not to follow blindly and join the crowd, although as I've mentioned before, I can understand why people would choose a place like GTHA to live in, but I wouldn't agree or perhaps may need to rebut some of the points you raised in that reply and my reasons why are as below:

minaudo wrote:

- world class doctors able to give you the best treatment and possibly save your life in different medical situations

Really? If you stay healthy, do your routine, maintain a balanced lifestyle, you'd be fine. But if you were in a situation that requires so, I question speediness of giving one's treatment in time. Not to say that its any better in Halifax. Besides, people are now choosing to fly off to places like Thailand or Singapore on this "medical tourism" band wagon that South East Asian is riding on because its overall cheaper and faster than the West.

minaudo wrote:

- the highest paying jobs
- the largest pool of jobs

Agree totally. Highest paying job is in the city - true enough. Largest pool of jobs - yes once again. But here's another point to think of,
Do everyone qualify for the highest paying job? Largest pool of jobs, and how many jobs can one hold at a time if you're working for someone? Not everyone wants to work owning their own business or work as a contractor. Note: I'm in the tech business and its not suffering from the job scarcity disease like other industries are in smaller - mid sized cities.

minaudo wrote:

- the largest selection of restaurants representing every culture of the world

True. Don't disagree there, which is also partly of your next point

minaudo wrote:

sizeable ethnic communities representing every group in the world

If you do miss home, chances that Toronto have your own kind are much higher. I do agree. But I've learned to live with it. It some of the things you'd give away in exchange. You've got to weigh all the pros and cons. For me there are more pros being in a smaller sized city than the cons.

minaudo wrote:

- public transit

Now if I did live in a smaller city and depending on where my house is located relative to my work site, I wouldn't worry too much about this. I would so also be able to maintain my sanity of not having to crawl slowly in traffic when doing the morning rush hour commuting.

minaudo wrote:

huge selection of community centres and resource centres

You know what, other cities too do have great community centres and resource centres. Halifax is one of them. They may not have many to choose from but again, how many can one go to?

minaudo wrote:

- thousands of street and inside festivals
- world scale concerts, performances, trade and consumer shows
- police force equipped to help you in any situtation
- large selection of educational institutions (and courses) Toronto has more of these than any other city in Canada and possibly the U.S. (when you consider all the private schools, which explains the tremendous number of foreign students); University of Toronto, York University (where the world renowned Schulich School of Business is based), Ryerson University, Seneca College, Centennial College, George Brown College, and the list just keeps going.
- large selection of shops and the latest in fashion, gadgets and more
- being able to find something to eat within 5 minutes
- huge competition among grocery chains and independent grocers offering great pricing and quality of product
- quick emergency services response
- being able to find something to do 24 hours a day

Getting too lazy to do one by one.
Can't run away with the fact that bigger cities have more festivals and shows to offer. I'll visit them when I go to Toronto on a holiday or business trip.
Police, I would say Toronto police haven't really had a good reputation by itself judging by the news. If anything, I'd prefer my smaller city cops.
True about list of education institutes being more in larger cities but I will encourage my kid when she grows old enough to spread her wings. So it may not be home (Halifax for now), may be in Toronto, may be not. Doesn't matter, its her choice when the time comes.
Shopping? Yes, with the currency exchange rate right now, I'd shop back in Canada but when it was as good as on parity about a year ago, I actually went to New Hampshire because its tax free there. Besides, 30% of my shopping now is done online. So where I am from doesn't matter much.
The thing about competition with grocery chains is how many shops could one go to? While I appreciate the variety, I still end up shopping within 2 - 3 different stores only. And I can get everything I need here and more.

And being in Canada, even though one's in smaller to mid sized cities, you have access to most of the essentials.
Good internet services, communications and entertain companies offering cable like east link, bell or telus. Good hospital - my kid was born in IWK and I swear by their services. It may not be the latest in sciences or tech or what have you back in Toronto, but it was good. A downtown core to go and visit once in a while when you're sick of your suburbia routine. Granted you may not have access to all the crazy options one would have when in larger cities, the question one needs to ask oneself is, do I really need all this choices? Also, the people I personally find that there's more warmth here than anything else. They are friendlier as a whole. But that's hard to justify and quantify and may be relative to the individual.

Unlike you, I was raised in a large city much like Toronto. My parents retired and went back to a smaller city eventually. They had no choice but to live in the larger city when I was younger due to job availability. I do love the convince and the abundance of choices and varieties it provide, but I really didn't feel that was a key thing in choosing a smaller city to settle down in. Besides as I've mentioned, most of the basic infrastructure are already available in most Canadian cities. And thankfully, now with the advent of technology, smaller to medium cities are being more creative in attracting talents, like giving "start-ups" and technology companies tax incentives and grants to stay within the province. So, there is are now more choices for people to make a big decision in life like choosing where to settle in because there are jobs here too.

In summary, I would say, don't just follow blindly what others do when it comes to choosing where to move. I've seen people simply say Toronto without knowing other choices. And here are my points as to why they ought to consider other cities too and one that may be smaller or medium sized like Halifax, Ottawa, Regina, Winnipeg, etc.

Here we go!     Moneysense magazine has delivered their survey full of data studying the liveability of several cities based on various measures such employment prospects, the affordability, weather and more, all in order to identify the best place to live in Canada.

209 community were studied across the country and - as usual - the No. 1 city will surely surprise you.

As soon as possible I‘ll get back to you with this survey

Meanwhile Guess who is the top 1 this year

Abdel

Thank you Philipyeo for the topic, and here is a quick resumé of the survey for this year:

Topping our Best Places to Live list this year is Boucherville, Que. You can find this predominately French-speaking community just across the St. Lawrence River from Montreal. Its population is just over 43,000, small enough to sit everyone comfortably inside Montreal's Olympic Stadium and leave it still feeling somewhat empty. But a look at the city's stellar liveability stats—plus conversations with residents, one of whom we'll meet in the pages to come—reveals what makes Boucherville such an amazing place to put down roots.

Boucherville knocks St. Albert, Alta., a small town on the fringes of Edmonton, out of the top slot. Two other Alberta cities, Calgary and Strathcona County, also took big tumbles, showing that the surge in the West that has been such a dominant theme in our report in recent years has come to an abrupt halt. Join us as we visit some of the winning cities and learn why they came out on top.

Mid-sized cities also made gains this year. Burlington, Ont., a city that constantly scores well in our report, is the top in this category, rising a few notches this year on our overall list to No. 3. Its close proximity to Toronto, Hamilton and the U.S. border is one of the main reasons families settle here, but as residents like Monica Rettig have discovered there's much more to like about Burlington than its location. After growing up in Brampton, Ont., and spending her mid-twenties in Toronto, Rettig never envisioned returning to the burbs. In Toronto she could walk everywhere. If she was short on groceries there were plenty of dinner options at her doorstep. Everything was so close she didn't even own a car. But then her circumstances changed. She got a job at Brock University in Saint Catharines, Ont., as a librarian while her husband worked in downtown Toronto. Burlington, being right in the middle, became the default compromise. “In the first few years we were not won over by it,” concedes Rettig. “It wasn't easy to meet people and the whole walkability factor was a huge loss.”

Six years in, and since starting a family, Burlington has really grown on them. “When you have kids it's a lot easier to meet other families,” she says. All of the park space and the schools help raise the appeal. But by living here they've also discovered things that they wouldn't have if they had stayed in Toronto. There's a lot going on in nearby Hamilton, says Rettig, noting that they often find themselves heading there over Toronto now when they want an evening out.

Looking back, Rettig is happy with her decision to settle in Burlington. Housing is more reasonably priced here, and she believes it would be a struggle to own a house closer to “The Big Smoke.” And in Toronto, she says, she most certainly wouldn't have a backyard. “It's such a suburban answer but we are really enjoying the backyard,” she says when asked what her favourite thing is about living in Burlington. “These days that's what we're into.” Just like Valérie Beaulieu in Boucherville, Rettig has discovered that often it's the small, simple things that make us truly love our homes.

For the full ranking here is thye link:
http://www.moneysense.ca/canadas-best-p … l-ranking/

for a Photo gallery of the Top 25 best places to live , here is the link:
http://www.moneysense.ca/planning/canad … e-in-2015/

1    Boucherville    QC
2    Ottawa        ON   
3    Burlington    ON   
4    St. Albert    AB   
5    Blainville    QC   
6    Oakville        ON   
7    Stratford    ON   
8    Lévis        QC   
9    North Vancouver (DM)    BC
10    Quebec        QC

Hi Abdel,

Good to hear from you again. I'm stuck here in Halifax for abit. I'd probably move out maybe in 2 years time. Hopefully by than the "Ship building" program in Halifax really takes off and the local economy picks up. That way, I will be able to sell my property here without a loss. I've set my eyes for a mid-sized city in Ontario. Either Ottawa or some outer suburbs of GTA like Burlington as you mentioned.

How has Fredericton been to you? Do you take a stroll down the bridge for your evening walks? Or perhaps scoured the whole of Odell Park. Boy oh boy, its a huge park indeed.

Thanks Philipyeo,

About selling your property, did you consider to get in touch with a responsible of human resource of federal institutions in Halifax?

They have time to time some new public servant employee who would move for a new job in Halifax and there could be someone in a department of those institutions who is responsible for the installation of new employee (specially ones who already work with government from another city) . This responsible would be able to suggest -to the new employee- the availability of your property.

Ottawa and some small cities around “the big smoke” GTA are a good choice.
In addition of choosing a city we have to take  into consideration the province itself. More precisely the “services” that the province offers such as tax system, kindergarden program, incentives for entrepreneurs, artist, business-men-women, students subsidies (or programs  for helping them to refund back their debt-studies)…
Those factors also help to figure out how well is it life in a particular city/province, and for me, Ontario has many positives factors to help making its cities good places to live.

Fredericton still seems to me a nice place to live, As long as you have THE job. People are quite friendly, even though that's not help much in finding quite good social activities (the city is somehow empty even the week-end).

There is no big traffic jams, and people feel there are shorter commutes; again as long as you have a car, or your bus is passing through the places where you want to go.

I was able to have a family doctor (finally after living 12 years in Canada. He is my first). I couldn't have one while I was in Montréal neither in Ottawa.

We benefit from close proximity to nature and the countryside (again as long as you have car that would be more beneficent. I don't ), and also a historic downtown that gives a unique charm to the city, even though as I said most of time it's empty (even the week-end).

Fredericton also known by having a relatively low housing costs, but that have a double face: on one side for someone who just installed in the city and get THE job, it's a great deal. On other side, in the eventuality you had an opportunity to move outside of the city, you could stuck for long time to find someone to buy your house. One of my colleague, as her husband should be transferred to another city (he is in military), she had problem to sell their house.

Odell Park. Ohh yeah  :) , as you said a huge park and mostly it gives oxygen to all over the city making the air well breathable . Last week I went with my wife to enjoy a nice walk and lie  our selves on the green grass but I have been bitten by mosquitoes, they are ferocious my friend   :sosad:   but we enjoy our day.

I still keep thinking that Ottawa deserve to be lived in. During last 9  years of moneysense  magazine survey, this city has been always well ranked comparing to all other cities, and preceisely it was always on the top 5.

Abdel