Hello :)

Hello everyone from this forum. My name is Macarena, I'm currently living in Uruguay, South America, but I'm planning to move to England as soon as i finish my studies.
I LOVE learning about new cultures and I'm open to changes. :)
Well, I hope you guys could tell me something about yourself and we could get to know each other. I'd also be happy if you could give me some advices about living in another country, and things I must take into account.
:)
P.S.: I would also be glad to help you if you have any doubt

xx

Welcome on board Macarena :)

hi nice to see youdear... where in england you will plane to live tell me may be i can help you .... i am not in england but i have contects in uk ... see you....

Thanks Julien :)
And Shakkir,i'm planning to live in either London or Cambridge

welcome! How is your studies? ;)

Henry

Thanks Henry! My studies are great so far, but i still have a long way to go until i start university :)

Hi Maca
Well if there is anything you need to know about England i can fill you in ive just moved to Uruguay from England:) I was born in Uruguay but moved to the uk at the age of 2 and 30 years later have decided to come back and give life ago in Uruguay!!!
One thing i would say if you are planning to stay in London, is renting is very expensive. not so sure about cambridge prices, but think with the amount of students in the area it would be quite high:(

Hola!

I'm English and have been living in Uruguay almost 2 years now. If you have any questions please let me know!
Just a few pointers;

The main cultural difference between the UK and Uruguay is the 'going out' culture. Things start very late here compared to England. It's actually what I miss most... going out for a drink after work.

A lot of Uruguayans I speak to think English people are cold. This is a preconception and actually people are incredibly warm and welcoming especially in the North. Uruguayans are warm when you get to know them, but on first impressions they seem very cold and wary of strangers... no one smiles in public here :). English are not big into hugs and kisses like here especially with strangers, but it by no means makes us cold people.

Another thing I've noticed is English are very polite compared to Uruguayans, so be prepared to say please and thank you a lot! Generally pace of life is much faster in England especially doing business. People also love to gossip just like Uruguayans :)

Finally you'll also have to swop your mate for tea!

Hola Macarena, estoy en Montevideo y si quieres podemos hablar un día sobre vivir en Gran Bretaña. No estuve allí, sino en España.
Bueno, a decir de muchos, la gente en el Reino Unido suele ser más fría, pero vamos, eso depende de cada carácter y lo que vas haciendo día a día.
Si quieres podemos tomar un café y hablamos más largo.
Un abrazo.

Eduardo Soralles

Hola Maca! Como estas?

Vivi en Londres por 4 años antes a vivir aca. Send me an email if you have any questions or would like to get together for a coffee :)

Saludos

Jen

Hello Marcarena,

My daughter (34) lives in London... What exactly are you wanting to know ?

Hi Karina C.,

I was in Uruguay in 2014 and really enjoyed your beautiful country. I am a retired University professor and was invited by Universidad Catolica

@ profmarco :

Kindly note that this topic is very old (2010) and that you may not receive any response from Karina.C.

I would therefore invite you to participate to more recent threads in the Montevideo forum.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team