Considering moving to Mexico need advice

Hey everyone. I need some help.My husband and I are considering moving to Mexico. I am from the US and my husband is an Egyptian national. He doesn't have a US green card. So from what I've read online he would have to get a residence visa. from my web searches I really couldn't find much info the only site I could find was www.sre.gob.mx and it didnt have any links how to do this. and the Mexican embassy website for Cairo is not working.

So if there is anyone with more information or someone that has gone through the process that is from a country other then those not requiring a visa to enter Mexico. It would be much appretiated. Thank you so much for your help :D

Amber

Hello Amber,
Egyptians do need a visa to travel to Mexico. How good is your Spanish? http://www.inm.gob.mx/EN/index.php
The details about "tramites" are in Spanish only.
Anyways, your husband needs to apply for an entry-visa at the Mexican Embassy in Cairo. They are very friendly and helpful - at least they were some three years ago. So, since you state that you live in Cairo, it might not be a major problem for you. The Embassy is located in Maadi. Here is their webpage - it does work - and gives you all relevant data on the visa application in English and Arabic, too.
Good luck
http://www.sre.gob.mx/egipto/

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Huge help I was really lost..I've become an expert on US/Egypt related visa issues but mexico is a whole new game :D thanks again..so am I to understand you or your spouse were living in Egypt at one point.!?! just curious :)  (oh and my spanish is mmm..lacking) hmmm..Im not sure why the embassy site never works for me. I even clicked on your link and it just opened an empty page :S oh well I'll have my husband call the Embassy or send him to Maadi tomarrow :)

You can go to the Mexican web site for immigration and fill out the form. Mexican Immigration

After you get to their web site click on the INM link to the right of the Mexico State symbol. Then select Trámites migratorios.

The truth is that if you are entering by land from the States you probably will not be asked for any documentation. I have been here 2 years and have never once been challenged by any authorities. Mexico is VERY loosey goosey about immigration enforcement. If you lived here for 100 years and were even once asked to explain yourself, your right to be here or anything regarding immigration, I would eat my hat. WON'T happen. Ever. They have immigration laws on the books but nothing is enforced, EVER. This country, the government and the people have enough to do just keeping basic law and order and keeping their heads above water. Immigration is at the bottom of the list in terms of law enforcement. You will never be challenged and that is a fact. I don't know why you are considering this but consider it well. There is a reason there are 30 million Mexicans in America. It is hard to make a living here. Yes, things are cheap but earning a peso is no easy task. It is all relative. Good luck and hope this help.

check out my blog gringosinparadise.com.mx

It will be easy for your husband, the Mexican goverment wants you to come here to live or visit.

Need to find a place to live in Rosarito beach for $400. or less, any suggestion?

I'm sure people who live in the area will respond but I would also look in the housing section of this site. The link is at the top of the page.

Often it requires that you actually go there and look.

I assume you are saying $400 USD that is about 7493.28 Mx. at the current exchange.

Good luck

So Guanjunto gringo,

How many hats do you have ?
Some areas of Mexico are more focused on immigration than others. Sometimes I have been asked for my passport, drivers lic, and even information on my car.  Now that I have been a resident for 5 years I rarely get stopped .  So, if you don't look Mexican, and or do not have a Mexican car you will very likely be stopped, and they will demand all kinds of paper work.

The last time was at a check point outside town, that was a good laugh . They asked me where I was going, I said home, and then the officer who wasn't paying attention asked me how long I planned to stay. They did not ask for paperwork at all, just checking. I laughed, they laughed.

NEVER is a word you should not use in Mexico. Will you be using salsa on that hat?

This is a great question damean64 that I'd like to know the answer to as well.  Very different topic from the original thread so maybe start a new thread.  I think there is even a Rosarito forum??

Thank You Travellight, if you think of anything that will help me, I'm all ears . Have a great day!

Thank you for the info. Magentaheart  :-)

Hello again damean64

These people live in the area Rockabilly Cam. Elisabethlehrer, and Doc C. They are not frequent posters, but it would be worth a try to message them. Doc C is in Tijuana but he should know the area. You can look them up on the membership list.

I imagine you searched the internet for housing there, but if not that would also be worth trying.

Once again buena suerte