Visa Extension

Hello gang !

Okay I am coming into country to meet a lady , and we may just tie the knot ... well it is the plan . Mother says save money , ah yes that .
Well the straight and skinny is that I might become a husband and if I do marry ... HOW would this Visa thing affect me ?
I am totally lost in this . I do want to be Papa though ! Oh yes .  :par:

Okay Gang Cheers ... Have a wonderful week ! V.V.

VietnamVenice3260 wrote:

Hello gang !

Okay I am coming into country to meet a lady , and we may just tie the knot ... well it is the plan . Mother says save money , ah yes that .
Well the straight and skinny is that I might become a husband and if I do marry ... HOW would this Visa thing affect me ?

Hi,
Just a tip.....live here for at LEAST  2 years before you even think about marrying anyone or investing here.   Have you met this woman on the Internet ?????

The marriage Visa is cheap and usually around 5 years, and extendable.

BUT ,........most guys I've met have found that "marriage" visa is not cheap.   Lots of train wreck marriages here involving old foreign retirees and young local woman.

Think about it mate..... Don't be I a hurry.  Just sit back,watch ,observe and listen to the stories you will get about old guys that have fucked up.   They say some people learn by common sense and general observation,....others have to piss on the electric fence themselves to find out .

Tell her you're not giving money to her family and watch what happens.

Meeting a girl on the Internet and making plans to marry before living here for some time is a recipe for disaster.

Technically not a visa since it exempts you from not having to have a visa to enter Vietnam for the 4.5 years max or whenever your passport expires minus 6 months.

The 3 months extension is not a big inconvenience as some make it out to be. Just photocopy your first filled in form as template for each time you renew and have someone else submit it in. Make sure to change the date.

And finally big congrats on your soon to be marriage and wish you all the best on your life journey starting a new family.

The risk of unhappy marriages is little different with VNese than other nationalities. And the same precautions are needed as with other marriage nationality combinations.

Just as much as a Wall Street banker would have to exercise caution marrying a woman from an Alaskan outport, so would someone marrying a woman from a rural VNese  setting.

Sure there have been cases of 'kidnapped' relatives where the 'rich' Foreigner relative is expected to come up with the ransom (would you do this in the States) or a 'gold-digger' marrying for a Foreigners apparent wealth. There are also the 'urgent' medical diseases that need financing where the Foreigner needs to pay.

Again, would you do it in the USA?

Be very sensitive as to whether your intended wants to move to the States. Make it clear YOU want to stay in VN and not immigrate to the USA.

I have been happily married to a VNese woman for 20 years and we have a very smart but precocious daughter. Our lifestyle is predominantly Western with VNese touches (Western style house - we have windows all around - the essential (Canadian) basement, etc.) and my wife lowers the spice temperature of her cooking for me.

She is an intelligent woman, has a mind of her own, and we agreed before we got married that any land we acquired would be in her name (with me as land manager and having to agree to any land transfer) and any buildings would be in my name. We also have separate and shared bank accounts. This for business reasons as well as giving her independence.

Where a partner enters a marriage with few assets, this can create problems in any cultural combination, and entering into a marriage with eyes wide open can help both parties. Don't create expectations that you can't deliver. Make it clear that your US assets are staying in the US and not getting brought over. VNese understand inflation and interest very well - these being enough to keep overseas money ... overseas.

I run a company's dating web site (as a paid moderator) and certain different interpretations exist. Single has a distinct meaning in the West whereas in VN it is essential to define a person's status as single/never married or single/divorced.

It is essential you share a decent working knowledge of each others languages - and don't get mad if the other half picks up the phone and rattles off on the Mother-tongue to her friends or family. You can tell if you are in deep do-do, but it's far better if you know how deep.

VNese women are as faithful to their husbands as most wives anywhere but they do go off the rails just as much as Foreigners.

These days VN is a modern country with modern conveniences and goods. Gone are the days when a new product stymied prospective purchasers. So the main problems are in the cultural and inter-personal differences.

If you have children (a VNese mother's second priority after getting the daughter married off) register them FIRST as VNese and then as Americans. And in choosing a name, make sure the VNese is acceptable (and pronounceable) on a Western setting. And it's fine for the wife to keep her maiden name. We use Mr. & Mrs., plus my name, when we are together and my wife uses the designator Madame (plus her VNese name) as this designates her a s married woman.

This is my Dong's worth, anyway.

If you do get married, may it be long and happy.

Yogi

Woman not young . 45 , me 54 . She is Pharmacist and Rubber Farmer . Farm near Plieku in hills . Divorced 7 years raisung teen girls , they picked me ( well helped ) .
Moth er was in Viet Cupid . Her previous husband dump her , daughters say as NO male child .
Husband was Korean Doctor . Children are doing very well in school .

So ... I have written her for 7 months . Children and I talk . One 15 , one 17 .

Mama said it takes 6 year to adopt ? Maybe 6 year for my citizenship ?

Okay.  Yes I will be careful bro .

I doubt very much if you will be getting citizenship.

VietnamVenice3260 wrote:

Yogi

Woman not young . 45 , me 54 . She is Pharmacist and Rubber Farmer . Farm near Plieku in hills . Divorced 7 years raisung teen girls , they picked me ( well helped ) .
Moth er was in Viet Cupid . Her previous husband dump her , daughters say as NO male child .
Husband was Korean Doctor . Children are doing very well in school .

So ... I have written her for 7 months . Children and I talk . One 15 , one 17 .

Mama said it takes 6 year to adopt ? Maybe 6 year for my citizenship ?

Okay.  Yes I will be careful bro .

I don't think you will have problems with this marriage. It is the younger women in their late teens to early 20's that are problematic. At her age she is looking for a life long companion more than anything else.

Explain ?
If like USA , takes long time here . I believe if Married can adopt to Vietnam and live there .

As they say. just my two dongs worth, but getting back to the OP's question. Which I don't think has

been answered yet, just a lot of opinions on how marriages are good or bad.
The original post was on a visa question for him at the present time. With the NEW laws he can not get a VEC. The best he can get is a 12 month visa after marriage. Sure he can apply for temporary residence. Probably a much better chance to get that than ever becoming a citizen of VN. And no he can not extend the visa that brought him into VN. This is the way I read the new law. Will the coffee fund still work? I suppose that is anyones guess. Yet from what I've been reading here and elsewhere no one is having any luck with any contribution to the coffee fund.
Now to go off topic. Marriage here is no more a panacea than anywhere else on the globe. Perhaps the only distinct difference is that many cultural differences only add to the relationship. It can be challanging to say the least!

I know a story, young Vietnamese woman wants to get married with a old foreign man (twice of age). She has a child. She is younger than her age, a mordern, stylist woman. She has sucessful business.

When I talked to her, she said, after she got dirvoced, she didn't want to get marriage again.Because she was afraid, she can't find someone who really love her child. But when she met him, he took care her and her child very well. She said: he is better than her ex 10 times. She doesnt need anything, just a husband, who can take care her and her child, it made her feel peaceful, happy...

They are still happy after 4 years... Wish they are always like that...

Some Vietnamese women with child are very simple after getting divorced. Because Vietnamse culture, so it's not easy for them to get married again...

I hope OP will be always happy with his choice...

Vagabondone wrote:

As they say. just my two dongs worth, but getting back to the OP's question. Which I don't think has

The original post was on a visa question for him at the present time. With the NEW laws he can not get a VEC. The best he can get is a 12 month visa after marriage. Sure he can apply for temporary residence. Probably a much better chance to get that than ever becoming a citizen of VN. And no he can not extend the visa that brought him into VN. This is the way I read the new law. Will the coffee fund still work? I suppose that is anyones guess. Yet from what I've been reading here and elsewhere no one is having any luck with any contribution to the coffee fund.
Now to go off topic. Marriage here is no more a panacea than anywhere else on the globe. Perhaps the only distinct difference is that many cultural differences only add to the relationship. It can be challanging to say the least!

Actually it was answered by Khanh,you must of missed that.

I though this thread was about visa extensions.  The travails of international nuptials are a separate issue and should be in a separate thread.

A lot of people are seriously worried about this new law and want information, so far there doesn't seem to be much, and there's a lot of contradictions.

@ VietnamVenice3260 > As your question is about visa, i will advise you to have a look at the Information on visas in Ho Chi Minh City section, it might help you.

The New online Vietnam Guide might also help you.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

colinoscapee wrote:
Vagabondone wrote:

Actually it was answered by Khanh,you must of missed that.

I beg to differ with you young man, I did not miss his post. It is simply he is speaking in past tense and the OP says he is COMING to VN. Thus he can no longer qualify for a VEC even when he does get married. Moreover, there are no longer extensions for any visa category as I understand it, certainly not for tourist or business visa's. Perhaps you missed the fact that that VN has a new immigration law this year young man!

They can't end renewability for work visas.  Companies can't go through hiring someone new for positions requiring foreigners every year.

As for tourist visas, if there isn't some new workaround, official or coffee-money, then a lot of people who've been here for decades are going to have to leave.  Going abroad and returning once a month is out of the question. 

It's infuriating that real information is so lacking here.  Personally I'm okay as long as I can keep teaching or something else, but what about when I get too old?  Will I have to pack up and leave when I'm like 75?!?

I have read quite a few people have just had enough and moving over the border where the goal posts aren't moved every six months. It is amazing how difficult visas have become over the last few years.

I thought Snake was able to renew his VEC this year and not the 3 months extension. Or is old age catching up to me.

The operative words here are "Snakes VEC". This presumes Snake has a VEC. Indeed, Snake, Vagabondone and anyone else who held a VEC prior to the new law will indeed be able to renew his/her VEC. But again, I understood the OP to say he was COMING to VN. If true he will fall under the new law and can't get a VEC.
  To the poster that finds it hard to believe work visa's will no longer be renewable I would ask this. Where in the new law is a work VISA provided for? Work permit, yes. I think perhaps this is the primary focus of the new law, force permits, collect more money.
Yup, things are a changing. I have a VEC. Yet when it expires I doubt there is any chance I would remain in VN and have to get a new one year visa every year. I suspect here in the next few days, once these visa's begin to expire many a folk are going to be packing their bags and heading out of sweet old VN.

Not sure why so much discussion is about VECs which, as far as I know, are only for Việt Kiêu, not for expats. 

As for provisions in the new document for work visa, how do you interpret the DN visa?  It's not a permit.  It's a visa and it has a duration up to 12 months. 

Mine has been approved and the application was after 1/1/15.  That said, I really don't like the uncertainty here, the constant changes in the law.  I suspect that things will settle down in a few months and the old coffee money system will resume in a slightly altered format but I think we'd be crazy to not make preparations for departure anyway.

TEFL Can Tho wrote:

Not sure why so much discussion is about VECs which, as far as I know, are only for Việt Kiêu, not for expats. 

As for provisions in the new document for work visa, how do you interpret the DN visa?  It's not a permit.  It's a visa and it has a duration up to 12 months. 

Mine has been approved and the application was after 1/1/15.  That said, I really don't like the uncertainty here, the constant changes in the law.  I suspect that things will settle down in a few months and the old coffee money system will resume in a slightly altered format but I think we'd be crazy to not make preparations for departure anyway.

Not correct,you can obtain one as an expat several different ways,marriage being the most popular.

Lol too confusing. My VEC expires 2017 when my baby will be 2 years old. Doesn't sound good as I was hoping to raise my child in Vietnam. Now raising my family in Canada might be the only option to me.

Well, you can only hope the laws will become more user friendly by then,but the boys and gals in Ha Noi are not known for being logical.

TEFL Can Tho wrote:

I have not dug real deep into each type of Visa that in no way applies to me, work being one. However, a quick look at the DN visa seems to be for people that are partners in a VN company. When I think of the work visa as most her on the blog speak of it is for the purpose of teaching English.
As to why there is so much discussion on the issue of VEC Khanh44 spoke of it when addressing the mans question about COMING to VN and possibly getting married. Khanhh44 thinking that he could get a VEC and 3 months extensions. When I think of coming I think the man is not yet here and does not hold any type of VN visa. If so, he will not be able to get a VEC as they are no longer being issued post 2014. As for renewing any type of visa for 3 months UNDER THE NEW law I don't think it is possible.
And NO VEC are not restricted to VK. I'm not a VK and I have one under the old rules.

VietnamVenice3260 wrote:

Hello gang !

Maybe because the OP asked about the visa situation, which is of course a VEC.

khanh44 wrote:

Lol too confusing. My VEC expires 2017 when my baby will be 2 years old. Doesn't sound good as I was hoping to raise my child in Vietnam. Now raising my family in Canada might be the only option to me.

Boy Khanh44 I hear you. I am in the same situation and it certainly changes the decision matrix doesn't it. This guys is one thing that makes it so so difficult to make any sort of plans here in VN. Now do you plant those tomato plants or buy the new Honda Airblade or begin the unplugging process for the ultimate move. Everything is a moving target here.

TEFL Can Tho wrote:

Your what was approved on 1/1/15? If you are saying you applied for a NEW VEC on 1/1/15 and it was approved that would be a very interesting thing, tell us more.

Vagabondone wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Boy Khanh44 I hear you. I am in the same situation and it certainly changes the decision matrix doesn't it. This guys is one thing that makes it so so difficult to make any sort of plans here in VN. Now do you plant those tomato plants or buy the new Honda Airblade or begin the unplugging process for the ultimate move. Everything is a moving target here.

Agree.

Vagabondone wrote:
TEFL Can Tho wrote:

Your what was approved on 1/1/15? If you are saying you applied for a NEW VEC on 1/1/15 and it was approved that would be a very interesting thing, tell us more.

No Man he said he got a DN visa not a new VEC. On that point however the VEC is still being offered on the visa sellers websites. Maybe they haven't updated it after 1/1/15 I don't know, but may I please add this. Back when all the confusing information started to  come out I posted some information that I received when my wife and I did our normal 3 month thing with our VEC's on 1/4/15.

"We just got done and extended for 3  more months, no problem. Those of us with the VEC issued before the 1st of Jan 2015 will continue to be allowed to extend as usual with the same 1 page document requesting it as in the past. They did not want to discuss any other visa types PERIOD. All they would is that the circular governing the new categories of visa's and implanting guidance should be published within the next 90 days or sooner."

At this point the circular hasn't been published with the guidance of the new law. Till it is just hold off on making life threating decisions, because nobody really know, just S/H lawyer guess work.

Budman1 wrote:
Vagabondone wrote:
TEFL Can Tho wrote:

No Man he said he got a DN visa not a new VEC. On that point however the VEC is still being offered on the visa sellers websites. Maybe they haven't updated it after 1/1/15 I don't know, but may I please add this. Back when all the confusing information started to  come out I posted some information that I received when my wife and I did our normal 3 month thing with our VEC's on 1/4/15.

"We just got done and extended for 3  more months, no problem. Those of us with the VEC issued before the 1st of Jan 2015 will continue to be allowed to extend as usual with the same 1 page document requesting it as in the past. They did not want to discuss any other visa types PERIOD. All they would is that the circular governing the new categories of visa's and implanting guidance should be published within the next 90 days or sooner."

At this point the circular hasn't been published with the guidance of the new law. Till it is just hold off on making life threating decisions, because nobody really know, just S/H lawyer guess work.

Budman, My bad. Did not understand he had a DN. Could not agree with you more on those of us that already HOLD a VEC. As I am told it will remain valid with the same procedures we are use to until they expire. Then we too come under the new law. Of Course, as fast as things change here who know what the laws will be next month let alone 4 years from now. We wait with baited breath! :)

One way or the other I am going to start making the moving plans to leave "Paradise" behind and move back to the certainty of the land of the insane, America. My legitimacy as a resident will not be in question. If I can just survive the mass shooting etc. Heck, here I don't even know if I should pay the golf club membership! :)

Vagabondone wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
Vagabondone wrote:

Budman, My bad. Did not understand he had a DN. Could not agree with you more on those of us that already HOLD a VEC. As I am told it will remain valid with the same procedures we are use to until they expire. Then we too come under the new law. Of Course, as fast as things change here who know what the laws will be next month let alone 4 years from now. We wait with baited breath! :)

I don't mean to come across as looking at life through rosy glasses here, I've just got used too what goes and what comes here in VN concerning visas. I guess I might be one of the few member's that has gone through with this with both regimes 69,70 and 71. Started back again in about 1993 to now 2015. I'll tell ya things ain't really changed much in as far as visa's go. Even had VOA back then, it was called $100.00 dollar bill at TSN.
Rick

Budman,
  That is why I always listen to your very sage advice....you were here when they invented the banana tree and the loin cloth was still in fashion budster!

Vagabondone wrote:

Budman,
  That is why I always listen to your very sage advice....you were here when they invented the banana tree and the loin cloth was still in fashion budster!

I'd like to see a pic of Budman in a loin cloth under a banana tree :o

colinoscapee wrote:
Vagabondone wrote:

Budman,

I'd like to see a pic of Budman in a loin cloth under a banana tree :o

I know the Budman would send you many of those pics, but........they did not have cameras back then. Budman, show him that picture you chiseled in the wall of the cave! :)

Hello everyone,

Aren't we getting a little off-topic here?  :unsure  How about we get back to the Visa Extension topic instead of focusing on loincloths and Budman in caves?  :o

Thank you all,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

The police are a little late to the scene of the crime don't you think. That conversation iccured yesterday morning. At any rate good morning hope you a good nap😜😜

Ok here we go,
Immigration Law 47/2014/qh13,  article 9 , section 7 , states that quote "when a visa expires it's re issuance shall be considered"
.   It does not state that you have to leave the country to do that. ?.??
So, can we assume that extensions within the country are still on the table.?

I'm wondering what monetary inducements will be required to turn consideration into action.