Visa for stepchild Abu Dhabi

Hello All,

We are due to move to Abu Dhabi in the next few months although have been hit by a potential stumbling block.

We are a family of four - myself, wife, daughter (1) and stepdaughter (13) from my wife's previous relationship.

My employer/sponsor is a public sector organisation and they have, when making my employment offer, rejected my stepdaughter as a dependent child and therefore will not pay school fees etc.  We have accepted this and will pay her school fees, not a showstopper.

In the last few days however my employer has warned us that my stepdaughter's residence visa is at a high risk of being rejected due to the fact that they have already rejected her as a dependent i.e. the government have already said No, as such.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience recently with stepchildren?

Many thanks,
Simon.

Are you in a position to legally adopt her?

It is possible but we have not considered it seriously because it appears - from guidance on various websites and posts on various forums - that people already live with stepchildren in the UAE. Have you heard of similar cases being rejected?

No but often the legal parent is the one being sponsored by an employer. If your wife was to also get a job, it is possible.