Cost of Living in Toronto 2015

I've seen lots of comments about the cost of living in Canada and specifically Toronto. I'd like to help you better understand what to expect in terms of expenses.

If you live in downtown Toronto and in a newer building or house then you will be spending lots on rent, but also willb e saving on car expenses as you won't need a car. If you are okay with taking the bus to and from work, then you can live outside the downtown core.

If you live in Scarborough (15-30 minutes to downtown by car and 20-60 minutes by public transportation - depending which part of Scarborough) your rent and even groceries will be much lower. There is one neighbourhood in Scarborough that is known to have a few politicians living there because of the quality of lifestyle and homes, and yet is very affordable and among the safest neighbourhoods in the Toronto area. Scarborough is actually part of the City of Toronto, so you're still inside the city and it has lots of parks, even golf course, community centres, shopping, libraries and more.

You can 'survive' with an income of as little as $3,100/month in Scarborough. That is before taxes. If you are living off savings then you can reduce that as you won't be paying income taxes, so say $2,700.

Here are the details:
- If you're a couple with a young child, you should be able to live in a 2 bedroom apartment in a pretty good part of the neighbourhood for as little as $1,300.
- Groceries for 3 will cost you about $600 (No Frills grocery stores have the best prices and still pretty good quality).
- Transportation (Bus/Train) for 2 adults if need to take it daily $260
- Medical care covered by government except prescriptions
- School covered by government
- Clothing for 3: $200
- Telephone & Internet: $150
- Entertainment - up to you

Total: $2510

I have helped many individuals move to Toronto and find a good place to live and know some of the choices you will need to make.

minaudo,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the cost of living in Toronto.

Is there enough for savings for that kind of living (but I guess that's a different topic all together)?
Also, is 1300 enough for a mortgage on a home in the suburbs?

I used to live and grew up in a big city like Kuala Lumpur. I am certainly not a fan of them (big cities), but I can see the appeal to some people. If I am there for a short visit, that's good enough for me.

philip,

the $1,300 is rent. Home ownership would be more expensive, especially if you're looking at buying a house. Also, it is difficult, if not impossible to get a mortgage if you don't have established credit in Canada, which most new arrivals don't.

If you go too far outside the city, then transportation becomes an issue and you'll need a car. Driving a car is expensive as you need to buy the car, then pay for gas, licensing, maintenance, repairs, and insurance. Insurance alone will cost you an upwards of $200/month. For the average person the cost of driving is between $8000 and $12000 per year. That is why people like to live in the city where they don't need a car.

Got a topic going on "Best Places to live in Canada - 2015" https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 44#2387937

I'm biased towards small-mid sized cities ;) But like you said in another post, overall, Canada is a great place to live - that I agree 100%.

Philip, don't believe what the magazines/newspapers say. They don't always or even usually reflect reality. These publications are biased in favour of the authors and their personal preferences. There are some very good reasons why people don't live in small communities, especially those in western Canada. The winter weather in Canada is harsh and some of these small towns are very isolated and provide a meager lifestyle. The cost of living, especially in the semi-arid parts of Alberta is higher as goods have to be brought in. Jobs are not as plentiful or as readily available to new residents in Canada in those communities. Also, they tend to be fairly conservative and if you happen to get on the wrong side of one of the locals you may find yourself in trouble with the law because the police and legal system isn't as sophisticated or well-founded as it is in the larger cities. Then there is the issue of the quality of the medical/health care system in smaller communities. The best doctors are found in the larger hospitals in the largest cities, such as the internationally recognized Sick Kid's hospital in Toronto which ranks among the worlds top 5 hospitals. However, Ontario has many med sized cities all within proximity to Toronto and even the U.S.A. boarder, such as Hamilton which has lots of very affordable housing. It even has bus/train service to Toronto if you want to commute, but it will take you a bit longer. You can also find a job in Hamilton, especially if you are a blue-collar type of worker.

That's still within GTHA (Greater Toronto Hamilton Area) - a monster of a city. My best pick within Ontario is Ottawa.

I've been to Toronto many times. Lived there for more than a week and most of all been around to places. I've been to Hamilton too. As I said, in another post can't say I disagree with some folks about having interest to live there. And the points you make a valid too.

I don't believe in reading just the magazines/newspapers and most of all, I don't believe in crowds and what everyone else is doing. In the 50s 60s, everyone was smoking a pack, infront of their kids and everywhere. If you weren't doing it you weren't cool. Do you have to do it? Guess I am person who prefers not to follow blindly.

So come over to this thread
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 44#2387937
readers and post your comments there. I am not going to steal the show from "Cost of living in Toronto"... It certainly has deviated from its actual purpose with these additional comments.

Philip, forgive me but I'm not getting the relevance of your comment about smoking and everybody doing it.
If you mean everyone is living in cities and trying to compare it to smoking then I think you're missing out on something. People are generally rational beings and if they're living in cities its is for good reasons, especially in a society in which you can move anywhere you want...so why don't they? In fact I can't tell you  how many people I know that have moved to different communities in Canada and moved back. More on this later.

I've checkout out your post and in the end you and I agree with some very important points:
1. It is a matter of suitability to the individual what city they live in
2. Cities have more people and crowds

I encourage you to consider a couple of things. Firstly, you say you lived in Toronto for more than a week. Really Phillip, you can't compare Toronto if you haven't even gotten to know the city (as with any large city) and established your routine. I have lived in many cities myself and traveled to many, many countries. As a student of urban planning and real estate representative, I can tell you that Toronto has more options to offer for all types of lifestyles than any other city I have visited inside or outside Canada. If you want a laid back lifestyle without crowds, Toronto can provide that. There are some very low density neighbourhoods with lots of green space where a large portion of the pockets have lived there for 30 years or more.

In regards, to Ottawa (Canada's Capital), It is a city that some people can live in comfortably, but it is certainly not a city I would find interesting, to put it politely. The city is full of politicians, bureaucrats, academics and consultants. Though I do really appreciate the Rideau Canal, especially during winter skating season.

Niagara-on-the-lake provides a very good laid back lifestyle while being accessible to several large cities and the best of both worlds.

Back to why people live in larger cities. I myself, I was born in a smaller town in Southern Italy, which is as grass-roots and community-centric as you can get. In fact, to this day it is mostly an agrarian community with a tourism component because it is on the mediterranean ocean. In fact, when I go back to vacation and I have for as much as 2 months at a time, I have enjoyed it immensely. However, I could not stay any longer because of what I was not able to have while there. The high-speed internet, access to social networks of world experts in every field, free medical care, cheap and readily accessible public transportation, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like the small community feel and that is why I vacation in non-urban communities. Fortunately, I have been able to find the small community lifestyle within Toronto by making specific life-choices, such as which neighbourhood to live in, which activities to pursue and groups to join.

Here is more to add to the list of what you're giving up for small town living:
- world class doctors able to give you the best treatment and possibly save your life in different medical situations
- the highest paying jobs
- the largest pool of jobs
- the largest selection of restaurants representing every culture of the world
- sizeable ethnic communities representing every group in the world
- public transit
- huge selection of community centres and resource centres
- thousands of street and inside festivals
- world scale concerts, performances, trade and consumer shows
- police force equipped to help you in any situtation
- large selection of educational institutions (and courses) Toronto has more of these than any other city in Canada and possibly the U.S. (when you consider all the private schools, which explains the tremendous number of foreign students); University of Toronto, York University (where the world renowned Schulich School of Business is based), Ryerson University, Seneca College, Centennial College, George Brown College, and the list just keeps going.
- large selection of shops and the latest in fashion, gadgets and more
- being able to find something to eat within 5 minutes
- huge competition among grocery chains and independent grocers offering great pricing and quality of product
- quick emergency services response
- being able to find something to do 24 hours a day

These are things that are important to many people, but not to all people. In fact, there are lots of people that move out of the large cities. Many of my clients are corporate executives looking to retire and they're buying country homes in preparation for a move down the road. There are three communities that they seem to be attracted to post-Toronto. However, these people have already made their money, raised their children and used the 'big city' for what they needed. Now they are kicking back, doing their fishing, gardening, travelling. Yet, they seem to come back to the city when it is time for health care.

Hope that helps.

My response here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 44#2390557

Hi,

I am moving soon with my husband to toronto, we are new immigrants and we are planning to take a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown/midtown toronto.

we will be landing with almost 30,000 CAN$, will this be enough for 2 for lets say 6 months (in case we do not find jobs?) and how you guys expect our monthly expenses will be ?

PS: i am projecting around 2500$ all expenses included.

your help is much appreciated.

I have some good news and some not so good news. Though it will be tight, yes you can live in Toronto in 1 bedroom apartment with a budget of $2,500/month. However, since most of that will be going to rent, you may have to be flexible on either the location of the apartment or the quality of the apartment. You're targeting the most expensive section of Toronto for rent. I can help you figure out where and negotiate a good place with the landlord.

Here is an example of a budget without rent:
Public transit $130 X 2 people = $260/month
(you can save on transit if you both don't need to travel by public transit every day or if you can walk, which is not uncommon in the downtown). A ride is just over $3 each way.
Then estimate your food and clothing (I would try for $500-600 for food)

Rent in that corridor starting at waterfront between Jarvis and Avenue Road up to just North of Eglinton (which is what I think of when you say downtown and midtown) for a 1 bedroom in a condo apartment (with amenities) runs between $1,300-$1,500 after negotiating the listed rent down. If you want something that is a little bit outside the area and in a basement apartment you can get the rent down to less than $1,000. But, in Toronto public transit isn't equally accessible in all neighbourhoods.

So, depending on your preferences, $30,000 should be enough for you to live on for at least 6 months. Also, some newcomers get part-time jobs to help with expenses and also give you some Canadian experience, build relationships and discover opportunities. A good organization to start with is 'MetroActive: Where People & Opportunity Meet".

If you had shared your career/work field I may have given you more insight into what to expect.

Thanks Minaudo,

i can definitely be flexible regarding location but not north of 401 (unless near finch area since we will not own a car).

i know 2500$ is a bit illogic specially with the location but i am trying to plan the worse case scenario, means that if i have 2500$ budgeted for everything, can i even dream to have something decent south of 401 (including food, transportation,  internet etc..)

As for careers, we are both architects with international experience (Doing some projects for GCC countries and we are trilingual - English- French- Arabic).

My husband is planning to do the bridging program while applying for jobs, while i will be focusing on the marketing side of Architecture since i am currently online journalist with focus on design and architecture. I had couple of interviews already (remote interviews) but with no luck since they needed someone immediately.

Would like your input on the above.

Thank you.

If you've already had interest on the interviews, but didn't get hired because you're not here and they need someone right away then it is a good indication.

I was restricting the search to just north of Eglinton. You can go along the Bloor-Danforth line of the subway system and still be quick to the downtown while reducing your rent.

There are a lot of Persians in the area along Yonge St. near Finch, if that interests you. However, for architects and creative, visually oriented individuals there are some good hubs that you might want to hang out at. MetroActive is a good business networking group, then there is the prestigious Spoke Club. You can make friends with members and hang out there. Lots of developers, interior designers and architects. Good for networking to find job opportunities. The spoke club is near Bathurst & Queen st. e. Rents are a bit higher there, but it you go past Bathurst they tend to drop. You're not on the subway line, but you are near a streetcar/bus line.

Message me if you need help finding a place or deciding on a neighbourhood. My skype ID is baldominaudo

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Dear Sir,

I want to move to Toronto after few months. I have 4 children studying from class 1 to 9. Which area will be suitable for me to live. Mississauga, Scarborough or some other area. How can I find two bed rooms spacious apartment at reasonable price.

Thanks

"I want to move to Toronto after few months. I have 4 children studying from class 1 to 9. Which area will be suitable for me to live. Mississauga, Scarborough or some other area. How can I find two bed rooms spacious apartment at reasonable price."

It depends and I would need more info. MetroActive Lifestyle Network has a very good online service that'll help you find a home/neighbourhood. Go to http://metroactive.org/wordpress/where- … next-home/

Hope that helps.

i want to work in canada and i can do anything but i dont have a place to stay in a meantime plz help me

Can you sing, juggle, fly a plane or operate a construction crane? lol. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Please be clear on what it is that you are actually capable of doing.

We are moving from South Africa to Canada in July 2015. I just want to make sure that our budget will work. We have received a good offer (well that's what we think  :)  we will have about 5000 a month after tax)

We are a family of 4 (2nd child will be born after we arrive in Canada so technically we are still 3). I have a job offer and the company is located in Mississauga. We are looking to live in the suburbs close to work. We require at least 1 car.

If possible could anyone share their monthly expenses with us?

Rent, food costs per month (we are not fussy eaters), car and insurance costs (looking at SUV's or similar), other travel costs, heating, water, hydro, cable, internet, medical costs etc.

How much annually before taxes in Toronto will be enough to live comfortably? We do not want luxuries just a bit of comfort and a bit to save?

QuintinBotes wrote:

We are moving from South Africa to Canada in July 2015. I just want to make sure that our budget will work. We have received a good offer (well that's what we think  :)  we will have about 5000 a month after tax)

We are a family of 4 (2nd child will be born after we arrive in Canada so technically we are still 3). I have a job offer and the company is located in Mississauga. We are looking to live in the suburbs close to work. We require at least 1 car.

Rent, food costs per month (we are not fussy eaters), car and insurance costs (looking at SUV's or similar), other travel costs, heating, water, hydro, cable, internet, medical costs etc.

How much annually before taxes in Toronto will be enough to live comfortably? We do not want luxuries just a bit of comfort and a bit to save?

I suggest you first read through the many informative posts in the forum categories list, right hand side of this page.
For car prices etc try the classified section at the top of this page. Also read through the housing section there for rents etc.
You can also try www.numbeo.com for cost of living, rents, etc 

Good luck with the move.

QuintinBotes wrote:

The site numbeo.com which stumpy shared earlier gives a good gauge of what is to be expected.

I will have to say though, 5000 after tax is still a good chunk of cash to have in Canada. Your biggest cost will be childcare if you are sending your kid over there.

As for getting a car, I would say its better to go for a second hand than a new one as you'd safe more. But also be careful with what you buy. Make sure you check it first. There's lots of snow in winter in Canada and the roads salted so the base of the car maybe very corroded if the owner didn't treat the car properly. You probably could get a Subaru or a Jeep for roughly around 14K (maybe 3 years). If you have the cash, I'd say pay it cash in full. Insurance could be higher for a second hand car but I would say something like at least 1000 per year. Gas (Petrol) should be reasonable. If you get a car that takes on diesel, you'd spend less on maintenance as diesel gives you more mileage per litre.

As for rentals, go for an apartment / condo so that you won't have to worry about shovelling (during winter). I am not sure about rental in Toronto, so check with numbeo.com. Depending on the building and what type of heat they are on you may not need to pay much for heat. I used to live in new apartment building where the heat was based on the hot water and therefore, I'd only pay for electricity which is cheap. Even during winter months, I'd only spend about $70 / mth for electricity of an apartment with 3 ppl. Internet should average about 60 -70 for a high speed connection. But I wouldn't worry about Toronto area as you'd have a lot of competition - so shop around. Medical should be free! If you're resident (doesn't need to be a PR) - valid home address and a work permit and have a SIN (social insurance number), then you can apply for a health card. In Ontario it is called OHIP.

Unfortunately your spouse or you wouldn't have work here before your 2nd child is before yet right? If you did, you'd qualify for EI (employment insurance) for the mother / father. Meaning you can go for a year with government pay assistance (but only 1 person, either the father or the mother). To qualify, you would have had to accumulate certain amount of hours of work.

Ok for now, I'd write back if I have anything else to add. But hope that helps.

Also, check out the thread, 5 top tips to live in Canada https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=453973

Use walkscore.com to determine how walk-a-ble your would be rental be

Little things like this helps...

Cheers,
Philip

Hi Quintin,

I see you are a South African moving to Canada - I am considering doing the same. I have heard about so many scams when people use immigration consultants (namely Brighter Visas and Global Visas).

Did you go through the process directly through the Canadian government? If so, do you have any advice regarding the application and the process? I am a single woman, 26, educated - going alone. So I just want to make sure I do everything right.

Also, how did you secure employment in Canada?

I really appreciate your advice!

Kind Regards,
Andrea

If you're single and haven't switched many jobs, it'll be pretty straightforward. You'd probably may not need an immigration consultant if you have the time to dedicate to the process. If time is an issue, you should hire one as they'll help you navigate through the process. You can try, this one http://www.wkeanic.ca/immigration/ as he is a registered immigration consultant.

I did go direct once and got rejected. That's when I engaged the services of an immigration consultant. I used this one instead, http://www.wanassociates.com. She's good too. I finally got my PR recently this year. You have to know though, my application is a little more tricky, so having an immigration consultant was important to me.

You can get in contact with both of them to enquire more but decide which one you want to go with later.

For me I came her as a post grad student. However I did not complete my studies. But having the presence here in person allowed me to go for interviews face to face with prospectful employers. However, I was honest with them of my predicament and there was an employer who had an opening for someone that matches my skill sets exactly. Fortunately for me, being in a smaller city like Halifax meant they cannot find anyone else like that around and nobody from Toronto nor Vancouver wants to move here (which is good for me). Thus they were willing to jump over hoops and do anything to convert my immigration status - meaning help apply a LMO (Labour Market Opinion) - now its called LMIA and then apply for a temporary working visa.

Thank you for your reply - it was very helpful! I think I am going to do this alone - as the cost of immigration consultants are quite high. But I will contact them and just ask advice :)

In terms of my current job -  even though I studied advertising and am currently doing a degree in marketing - I have a very specialized job (I design the merchandise flow of retail stores) - and this is actually quite popular in the US and UK - but not sure if the fact that I dont have a straight forward "sales" role or "advertising" role is going to hinder my application?

I couldn't advice you pertaining to your industry. I am in IT. What I can tell you though - it is a specialized skills / role that got me my job.

Andz89 - My first career was in Brand Management in Consumer Packaged Goods. I ended up being a partner in one of Canada's largest merchandising companies and launched a new division which provided merchandising flow services to retail outlets. It was a great addition to the merchandising services we provided to the Multi-nationals. In Canada merchandising flow is a highly specialized branch of consumer behaviour based marketing. You're likely to find your customers in cities like Toronto. The Greater Toronto Area alone accounts for over 40% of Canada's economic activity and houses the Canadian head offices of most firms that you would likely target for your services. Many individuals that have tried to move to smaller communities in Canada find it difficult fitting in, let alone securing some sort of decent living. Remember, there is a reason why they are small communities and people aren't rushing to move there - the numbers don't lie.

Hi Minaudo,

Thank you for your reply and valuable information - I hope to live and work in Toronto; that would be first prize for me! As I said previously I have qualifications in Marketing and Advertising but I work in merchandising and space planning for retail stores (I am also an intermediate user of AutoCAD). As you mentioned ; in Canada merchandising flow is a highly specialized branch of consumer behaviour based marketing.

At the moment I am trying to make contact with companies in Canada specializing in merchandising, space optimization and floor planning; and inquiring about career opportunities in this field. Most of them come back to me and ask if I have a VISA and if I am legally allowed to work in Canada - and obviously I don't otherwise I wouldn't be reaching out from South Africa. When applying for express entry to Canada - it counts a lot if you have a valid job offer, but at the same time how can you obtain a valid job offer without a Visa? It's a double-edged sword.

Do you have any advice as to how I should go about making contact with these companies and who I should speak to within the company?

Your advice is much appreciated!

Thanks minaudo,
As I looking for information like this... how much to earn and how the cost of living in Toronto for a family (2 adult + 2 children, with children should be going to school).
I'll take time to digest your information!

Thanks.

Hi Minaudo,
I have recently joined this forum, I hope to move some time in future, a frank advise from you,  I know there is already lot of competition in Real Estate Market, Real Estate Sales Person/ Broker/ Agent.... This field is lucrative enough for survival, frank opinion.? I have at least 2 years to move there, contemplating carrier options,  I am not hoping to make a fortune, but A survival.... Which can cover all expenses and little comfort for family of 4.

Awaiting to have your opinion. And if you can help me further, I will be glad to have more insight.

Thanks.
Samar

Dear Sir,

me and my wife are planning to come to Toronto with a permanent residency visa in a couple of months from now. i would be taking up a job in tourism industry as i have a 3 years work experience in travel and tourism field. my preferred city is Toronto. we would prefer a decent lifestyle and not very lavish. we are fine with a 1 bedroom apartment in the suburbs/ near our work place. (public transportation is fine. do not need a vehicle of my own). i am assuming 2500$/ month should be enough for us. please guide us on the same.

Thanks and regards,

Saurabh .

Greetings!!!

First of all a big thanks to all of you from bottom of my heart.
Really a nice blog, 70% of my quarries has been cleared through this blog only.

Basically I am trying to enter Toronto with a job (temporary Work permit for 2 years via LMIA) then onward I shall apply for PR as getting a PR for Canada is very difficult from my home country. The problem arises to clear IELTS exam.

I am a B.tech Engineer and having 5 years of experience and spouse completed post graduation and having a year of experience.

A consultancy in my hometown is offering me and spouse supervisory (Shop management supervisor) jobs in a shopping mall in GTA.
Salary for me will be - 2900 Ca$ (After tax) + 300 Ca$ for Accommodation
Spouse salary will be - 2600 Ca$(After tax) + 300 Ca$ for Accommodation

We are 3 members (Me,Spouse and son- 4 years)
So my quarries are:
1) Is 6100 Ca$ a good salary to live in Toronto suburbs. (Includes everything)
2) Looking at health and son's education will be bear by me as I am not a PR holder can I able to save a minimum 1500 Ca$ per month.
(We rarely go for outing and avoid clubbing and other stuffs. Basically we leave a complete middle class life)
3) Apart from above my major concern is, We will enter Canada in temporary ''UNSKILLED WORK PERMIT'' for 2 years. Shall we eligible to convert it to "SKILLED WORK PERMIT'' if i got a chance to work professionally with some other employers.
4) Will we be eligible for PR after 2 years if we worked in Unskilled Work permit.
5) Is IELTS is required after 2 years for PR. (Got some info in internet that doing a french course can opt out the option for IELTS)
6) Rather than the said job Can I work other part time jobs in the leisure time.
7) Within 20 to 25 kms from GTA area can i find a 1 bedroom flat or basement within the cost of 700 to 800 Ca$
8)What is cost of education for kids.

These quarries are very important to me as I unable to find the proper answers. Please help us out.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Amit  :cheers:

one city i know only Toronto ...once i tried to apply for student visa   when i was in the college ...but as there was many process and some fake people make my dreams down!!!

Thank you for your cost of living in Toronto tips. I and Tourism how do I go about applying for express entry. I would have roughly $40,000 cad when I move. And I would like to live just in the out skirts of Toronto. Somewhere with easy access to downtown. Can I apply for the express entry bymyself or do I need a consultant or lawyer? Would this budget be good enough for a start n approximately 6 months? I got job offers but most people needed me to be already in Toronto. I lived in Toronto for 2 years to do my associates degree so I know there a little bit. What should I do to fully prepare myself for this move?

Hi, I can see that you know quite a lot about Toronto.

I am planning to move there later this year. I am married with 3 kids. While I agree with you on the advantages of living n the city, I will like to minimize cost as much as possible.

Can you kindly give me an insight into what my monthly budget can be? I will like to make my family as comfortable as they can,

Lastly, I am a Chartered Insurance practitioner in Nigeria. I have 8 years continuous work experience. I discovered that Nigerian certificates is not recognized in Canada. Hence, I will have to start a fresh professional programme there. What is the job prospect for people like me who will have to start a fresh professional programme.

Having said that, after having read what has been written in recent months and speaking with my contacts at major grocery food chains, I can tell you that speaking only to the cost of food, the prices that some of the individuals  on this thread (if they actually exist) have significantly understated food costs in many of the cities.

If you want to know accurate and specific information just reach me through social media and I'll give you honest and unbiased answers.