How can I register my U S car in Panama?

I plan to drive my car from California to Panama.
I will have to register my car in Panama. If someone know the legal procedure
Please inform us thank you.
G P love Panama

well proces is not easy.
I bought Toyota Sienna from person who drove from Florida and he sold me only with paper of enterance in Panama and paper that is proving that he is an owner so I did all proces alone.
If you dont know panama city well and your spanish is basic I truly recomend you to hire someone they call them coredor aduana anyway you will need to hire them for puting all paper in aduana to pay your taxes its just by the law of panama but the rest of the proces you can do alone, not recomend you at all but if you want look on page panamaemprende.gob.pa/

depending on car year and mode they will tell you how much taxes you will pay and the rest of the proces can be between one and two weeks.

If you need someone contact me on [email protected]  or 69488577

Cheers,

Alek

Thanks for that information Alek!

Can you tell me how much fees to expect?

Thanks,

Bill

account 200$ for fees for putting a pepers in aduna which is something you have to pay plus taxes for a car and then the rest of proces can be between 300$ and 500$

Thank you for that very valuable information Alek!

The low costs involved are a big reason why we are not looking at Costa Rica.

what car do you have?

I paid 900$ for Toyota Sienna 1998 and that was ripping of because I didn't want to bribe them.

plus 200$ for agent and 100$ the rest of the costs

total 1100$  but I did alone my process since I know well panama

Cheers,

Alek

Alek,

I have a 2003 Honda Element and a 2005 Chrysler 300. I may sell the Chrysler before I move to keep costs down. I will certainly hire a "coredor aduana" as you recommend.

I agree with you on bribes. I lived in Korea 30 years ago and a local friend taught me how to palm a bribe for a handshake. Bribes were the way to do business there at the time. That was funny 30 years ago but I am older now and do not break laws.

Are bribes necessary in Panama today?

Cheers,

Bill

In some things its better to to pay and not to waste your time, and people who will offer you to fix all the papers are doing exactly that.

I am going out of Panama in first week of December and coming back in January, in case that you will be before I can help you with a papers and all procedure after paying a taxes you to registered your car and to get licence plate  and show you Panama City since I am working here as a tour guide and also with a foreigners who are coming here and starting there life. I will save your time of first three months adopting here and explain you where to go and what to avoid in 4 days as one white foreigner guy, in case that you need only some phones number for aduana coredor agents and lawyers no problem contact me on [email protected]

Cheers,

Alek