Incomplete requirements for soggiorno

my daughter and i arrived here in italy on nov14,2014 we were petitioned by my husband. we are now applying permesso di soggiorno at the questura upon checking the documents the officer ask for the legalized translated birth certificate of my daughter. Which unfortunately i dont have.. all i have is the legalized birth certificate from dfa manila. he told me that it must be translated and legalized by the italian embassy in manila.. the problem is he just give me 10days to submit the required document or if not they will refuse my application. it is impossible as per checking to the embassy it will take 3-4weeks
upon receiving the document. HELP what am i going to do?For sure i cannot submit it on time as much as i want to. can they refuse just like that?  if so.. can i appeal?

I recently had some translations legalized (asseverato - una asseverazione) at my local Tribunale (Law Courts) - including my birth certificate. The person who does the translation of your document has to fill in a form declaring that they did the translation to the best of their ability and swear an oath before a Justice of the Peace - Giudice di Pace (which in Italy has to be a lawyer working at the Tribunale specifically for the purpose of legalizing documents. The potential penalty for making a false oath is 6 - 24 months imprisonment). If you don't already have the birth certificate translated, you could find a local translator who can translate the certificate and take the original document, the translation and their formal declaration to the Tribunal to be legalized by a Giudice di Pace. Usually there are limited times when this service is available.

The translation needs to have a marca da bollo (stamp) to the value of 16 euro attached to it AND the formal declaration by the translator has to have a marca da bollo worth 3.68 Euro attached to it. (The marche da bollo stamps are a government tax or stamp duty. You can get these from any tabaccaio/tobacconist.)

You then need to make photocopies of the original birth certificate, the translator's declaration (with the 3.68 Euro marca da bollo attached) and the translation (with the 16.00 Euro marca da bollo attached) to give to the Giudice di Pace. The Tribunale keeps the photocopies for their records.

Once the translator (or someone else who is prepared to fill in the relevant form and make the formal oath) makes their oath in person in front of the Giudice di Pace, then the Justice of the Peace staples the original document, the translation and the translator's declaration together and puts their official stamp (timbro) twice on each page. Then you can take the legalized documents to the Questura. All documents legalized in this way go to the Questura anyway and they should recognize the asseverazioni done by the Tribuale's Justice of the Peace.

I suggest you go to your local Tribunale to get the relevant information sheet for the legalizing of translations which will have the times when the Giudice di Pace office is open and confirm the cost of the stamps (marca da bollo) you need for the translation and the translator's formal declaration. You could also get a copy of the form that the translator (or person willing to swear the oath) has to fill in.

I DON'T THINK YOU CAN DO THE TRANSLATION YOURSELF OR SWEAR THE OATH YOURSELF. I wasn't allowed to present my own birth certificate and translation for asseverazione (legalizing). You may not even be allowed in the room with the translator and Giudice di Pace when they formally legalize the document.

Send me a private message if any of this isn't clear.