Cost of living in the Philippines – 2015

WOW!!  Yours is very high!!

Mine is some different.  But I do spend $2,000 a month here U.S. and live like a prince. Me Her, and her daughter.  p90,000

My actual costs averaged over 5 months staying in Furnished Condo.

PHP 37,316     Accommodation
PHP 3,976     Electricity (Don't use use air con very much.  est  PHP 8,000 if we used a lot)
PHP 680     Cable TV
PHP 251     Bank Fees
PHP 1,024     Clothing
PHP 5,291     Eating Out
PHP 14,009     Groceries
PHP 12,405     Holiday Trips
PHP 1,012     Household Expenses
PHP 864     Laundry
PHP 1,856     Medical
PHP 4,237     Misc (can't track everything exactly)
PHP 1,427     Telephones
PHP 849     Travel (trikes etc)
PHP 3,398     Visa Renewals

PHP 88,597     Monthly Average over 5 months
    or
$2,568.03     in Australian Dollars

How is that possible?  Are  you saying that your monthly expenses of $2000  allows you, your lady and a child to live like  royalty in the USA?  Only David Blaine can do something like that, because that is one heck of a magic trick!  That includes rent and a car and health insurance, and medical insurance- all and no food stamps?  Maybe you should consider being a financial adviser. There is a need for your services.  Hahahahahaha....Just kidding with you- but, really, how is that possible to live like royalty on that amount for three people in the USA?  Take care....

Ate1 wrote:

How is that possible?  Are  you saying that your monthly expenses of $2000  allows you, your lady and a child to live like  royalty in the USA?  Only David Blaine can do something like that, because that is one heck of a magic trick!  That includes rent and a car and health insurance, and medical insurance- all and no food stamps?  Maybe you should consider being a financial adviser. There is a need for your services.  Hahahahahaha....Just kidding with you- but, really, how is that possible to live like royalty on that amount for three people in the USA?  Take care....

The family lives in the Philippines, not NYC
hahahahaha

Hahahaha....I knew there had to be a kicker!

This is the topic.  Cost of Living in the Philippines.  Not the cost of living where you came from.

I am quite certain my fiancée and I could live very well on $2000 per month but will not be making that much in early retirement plan so have to see if we could live well with maybe 1/2 that per month ($1000) CAD.

Our House in Germany (!00m²) costs €243 a month. For Gas, Electricity, Water.  At 50 Pesos - Euro exchange rate 12,150 Pesos.
Our house in Bohol (180m²) Costs 5600 Pesos a Month  for Gas Water Electricity. At 50 Pesos-Euro Exchange rate €112.

Shabbychic100 wrote:

This is the topic.  Cost of Living in the Philippines.  Not the cost of living where you came from.

I am quite certain my fiancée and I could live very well on $2000 per month but will not be making that much in early retirement plan so have to see if we could live well with maybe 1/2 that per month ($1000) CAD.

You most certainly can. Here in Ilocos Norte there are several of us expats. We meet for coffee most mornings. Our incomes vary from 1k to as much as 8k a month. You could not tell us apart by our lifestyle because living here doesn't cost but $700 to $800 per month.

In pesos.

Rent. Nice 2bd 2b apartment ..7k
Electric. 1.5k
Water.  250
Cable and internet. 2k
Food . 4k
Entertainment. Restaurant, weekend at beach, dancing, karaoke.  4k

That's $500 dollars there. So plan to live well. Just remember that most foreigners pay much higher when they talk to much about money and when they don't get a Pinoy to get prices first.

Here is the best way to figure what rent is averaging.

Look at the median income for the area. Whatever that is cut in half and there is what you should pay in rent.

But there are some on here who pay twice the median income and try through ignorance to justify it by saying it is for safety and security. This is by far one of the safest countries to live in the world. Don't buy that one they were just duped.

The one post the person stated renting for 36k a month. They should have stayed in the US paying that much. The place they are renting has a median income of 20k a month. That's with both husband and wife working. So if that be the case then ask them how are they paying.

I'm just throwing this out here because many allow themselves to be duped. Don't pay more than you have to. Do your home work and be smart

sirrobcentral wrote:

Here is the best way to figure what rent is averaging.

Look at the median income for the area. Whatever that is cut in half and there is what you should pay in rent.

It isn't always that simple though.  There are different standards of accommodation everywhere, not just the Philippines.  If the median income of an area is 20k a month for a Filipino, then your calculation says 10,000 pesos per month for rent.

Is it possible to get a western standard house or apartment, fully furnished, with hot water at all taps for 10k per month in all places where the Filipino income averages 20k per month ?

I agree that there will be places at that price, I have seen many myself, and they are OK for some people, but for those coming to the Philippines and still wanting to retain the same standard, they tend to need to pay the higher prices.  Some people, with the money available, will always prefer a level of luxury.  I for one certainly would not want to live in something of lesser standard to what I was used to, and at half the cost of my home country I can get something very near.

The American that you mentioned, may be paying 36k a month in the Philippines, (US$818 pm) but we need to consider that his US costs may have been much higher, meaning he is saving a lot even at that price. 
I know that I would be paying the equivalent of 70k pesos per month (in Australia) for what I am currently living in here in the Philippines. I could cut my current Philippines costs by 5k a month if I went for the unfurnished option, to compare exactly.

mugtech wrote:
Shabbychic100 wrote:

Hi,

No no I don't want to live in Cavite.  I want to be closer to Canadian and American expats.  Where there is less pollution and less noise.

Less pollution and less noise means out of and away from Manila and the former military bases, which also means less expats.  I would imagine your hubby wants to stay on Luzon.

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Its out in these provinces that you will find expats. I'm living with several dozen expats. Not exactly living with but we are scattered around the Ilocos Norte. We meet up at Mc Do or Mc Donald's every morning. Some are there everyday some maybe once or twin a week just to touch base with everyone.

Our personal incomes vary from $1,000/mos to $8,000 per and you can't tell because we all live extremely well here.

Rent is from $50 dollars to $350

sirrobcentral wrote:

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Its out in these provinces that you will find expats. I'm living with several dozen expats. Not exactly living with but we are scattered around the Ilocos Norte. We meet up at Mc Do or Mc Donald's every morning. Some are there everyday some maybe once or twin a week just to touch base with everyone.

Our personal incomes vary from $1,000/mos to $8,000 per and you can't tell because we all live extremely well here.

Rent is from $50 dollars to $350

I spent 3 weeks in November in Ilocos Sur, went into Vigan 6 or 7 times including the light and water show, visited restaurants up and down the coast, hit a couple malls, saw no other expats the entire time.  Glad to know there is something happening in Laoag, a 90 minute bus ride north of my place.

And while we are in Laoag, are there any international flights in or out of Laoag Airport?
Back in 2004 one could fly from Laoag to Honk Kong, but I find nothing online these days.

mugtech wrote:

And while we are in Laoag, are there any international flights in or out of Laoag Airport?
Back in 2004 one could fly from Laoag to Honk Kong, but I find nothing online these days.

That is the big complaint now. I think the only flight you can get out of here is Manila. In 2013 it cost $25 now it's $75...they charge more and offer less. Go figure.

I know Vigan attracts tourism but Ilocos Sure just don't really attract expats the way the North does. I know for a fact that land is even cheaper down there than here. Laoag proper the house and lot is ridiculously high. Outside though land is cheap. I purchased 72000 square meters for P60/sqm. Awesome deal.

good  job

Hey my name is Michelle i'm student in medical technology in the Philippines. I've been here for 7 months now. i live in las pinas (metro manila) 45 minutes away from manila. here for a decent apartment in a quite neighborhood  prepare around 6k-10k PHP (130-220$) a month.
For the food budget if you are alone maybe 5k-7k PHP (100-150$) will be enough including grocery, there are fast food everywhere and its quite cheap.
Internet bills most of the time and depending of the network that you choose won't be more than 1.5k php (30$) most of the time its only 1k/month (20$)
you will need an air con in your apartment so your electric bill will be a little bit high 1.5k (30$/month) for the water its almost free 100-150 php (4$/month),
if you come for college school fees are not so high either its actually depend of the university that you choose if it Delasalle university its a bit high maybe 100k (2000$/semester) im not so sure you should verify. but if you choose UP its around 60k/semester (every taxes included)
well for the transportation there are bus everywhere its better as a foreigner to take bus because the jeepneys are not very comfortable. but if you prefer having your own car its going to be easy and also pretty much cheap for a second hand car.
well hope it will hel.  contact me if you have questions!

Mai1984 wrote:

5000 usd a month in the Philippines will give you this lifestyle:
lot area 266 sqm
floor area 240sqm
3 bedrooms
60,000 pesos monthly rent equal to 1355 usd
airfare tickets as low as 1 peso

With US$ 5,000 per month, I think a life in AUS would be better ;)
Especially with property rentals as expensive as that for such a small lot.

The 1 pesos Air fares were good, but not many around now that the fuel surcharge has been removed.
My last 1 peso fare cost me almost 1,000 with surcharges, taxes and fees, although it was still a good price.

Hi there,was wondering what is the cheapest food in the Philipines?

markvoltscopper wrote:

Hi there,was wondering what is the cheapest food in the Philipines?

The Cheapest food ?
If you shop in the local markets, where the locals shop, then you may find food cheaper than in the normal shops. But foreigners are warned by most people to be very careful of pickpockets in those places. 

You get food stalls on many side streets where locals will buy a meal for 30 or 40 pesos, mainly rice with a bit of fish or meat.

Rice in the shops normally costs from about 45 pesos per kg.

A lot of food is actually similar to many western countries in price, when you shop around in the west.

An example of chicken, in the supermarkets, is chicken breast for about 160 pesos per kg, about A$4.50.  But that is with skin and still on the bone. Skinless Breast Fillet is nearer 220 peso. (A$6.30) That can be found from about $7 p kg in Australia.  So not a lot of difference.

Living in Cagayan de Oro and just did my expenses for May 2015. Lease on  furnished studio condo across street from sm mall is 15,000 per month.(334.00 dollars) Food for the month 15,000  for me and my girlfriend. I dont eat like a king, but do treat myself to some imports at times. Cheese, wine, good salsa. Utilities, water and elec. 4,300. (100.00 dollars) Wifi, cable 1,400. Good coverage. Movies at sm mall 150 pesos. We dont eat out much. My gf is a good cook. I dont eat street food because i choose not to get sick. No health problems, so no budget for medical.I use a taxi when i go into town a few miles away, about 200 pesos  round trip. I figure i live comfortable on about  35,000-40,000 pesos per month. My Social Security pension of 42,000 pesos(930.00 dollars) and the savings from the sale of my home in California give me a feeling of security. I watch construction workers,  working a 10 hour day for 9.00 dollars makes me appreciate my life.  The people here are most friendly and helpful. Lots of pretty, sincere, Filipinas who enjoy the company of a 62 yr. old foreigner.  I could not live like i do in the states.My life is good here and no regrets leaving the states to live here, except for the humidity. haha

I would be interested to know what credit card you are useing to get the free health insurance?

Thanks

Item   
for two people (me 53 years old Australian and Filipina girl friend)  in a simple and secure unit in General Santos City close to everything.

These are monthly figures:

Rent     for a simple 2 bedroom and office room unit          PHP 8,000
Cable TV,                                     for 1 TV = 999PHP - all channels - basic channels - PHP 840
Internet                                     PHP 865
Water Drinking and Plumbed     PHP 500
Electricity                                     PHP 1,000  - No air-con
Gas     For cooking                    PHP 700
Trash collection                    PHP 0  - gets taken care of by landlord.
Maid                                      No maid
House maintenance            PHP 750
Other house costs or rates    PHP 500
Gardener     - No Gardener
Night out for dinner (once a week)             PHP 3,900
Movies once a month  (150php PP)    PHP 350
Coffee with Friends twice a week           PHP 347
Beach (2,500 php) once every 2 month    PHP 1,250
Trip to Provence                                   PHP 300
Furniture depreciation                          PHP 9,261
Breakfast                                                  PHP 2,970
Lunch                                                  PHP 4,158
Dinner                                                  PHP 4,751
Wife's Clothes, etc.                                 PHP 1,395
Wife's hair cut                                       PHP 100
My hair cut                                          PHP 50
General Shopping - personal products and house cleaning sundries    PHP 2,467
Drinks                                               PHP 1,517
Dog Food     -  ??
Vet Fees     -  ??
Town Transport                          PHP 1,820
Return trip to local airport       PHP 200
General cash                               PHP 1,517
Family support                               PHP 754
Medical Insurance - self-insurance      PHP 18000
Mobile Phone x 2 Replacement (Depreciation)    PHP 1,163
Computer x 2 - Depreciation                                   PHP 1,292
My Clothes                                                          PHP 775
Club Membership                                                 PHP 1,938
MacAfee Anti Virus for Laptop                                 PHP 478
Bank Fees Australia                                        PHP 194
Phone - call chargers                                        PHP 910
Tax agent ??                                                       PHP 775
For 4 x Flight to Australia                                 PHP 14,467
Holiday flights    x 2                                                PHP 3,617
Food and entertainment and travel while out of the Phil's    PHP 11,302
Accommodation when out of Phil's                     PHP 12,117
Christmas presents                                             PHP 500
Party 1                                                             PHP 417
Party 2                                                             PHP 417
12 month, 59 day period, multiple entry visa    PHP 446
Visa extensions                                            PHP 369
US$10.00 Annual PRA ID Card fee                   PHP 31

Total per month    =    PHP 121,631

As you will note one of my biggest expenses are my flights to Australia from Gen San.

My GF also recommended that I by a pistol, I will then need to budget in shooting range practice and bullets.  Of course as a non-citizen I cannot own a pistol, it would have to be in her name.  Having said this I find Gen San city a safe place to move around, of course there are some bad areas like any city, where I would not go at certain times.  Every one tells me not to go to the province alone.

I am still sorting through visa, as this will have an implication of how I am taxed in Australia,

pej1111 wrote:

I am still sorting through visa, as this will have an implication of how I am taxed in Australia,

Australian taxation will depend on your residency by tax purposes, not always very clear.

But if you have a home in Philippines, but not in Australia, and are in Philippines more days per year than in Australia, you are likely to be classed as non resident, and lose the tax free thresholds on your Australian income.

For good up market PRIVATE schools and colleges in the Philippines, so the figures shown indicate the highest possible fee payable, to the end of high school in General Santos and the University is based on a Manila University.

The figure below are yearly figures for one child.

Childs age        School Fees
1    No School       
2    No School       
3    Pre-school - 1st class Quality school costs 55,000PHP including everything
4    Kinder garden 1    PHP 40,000  plus extras of 27,000php
5    Kinder garden 2    PHP 40,000  plus extras of 27,000php
6    Elementary (Primary) School Grade 1    PHP 50,000  plus extras of 34,000php
7    Elementary (Primary) School Grade 2    PHP 50,000  plus extras of 34,000php
8    Elementary (Primary) School Grade 3    PHP 50,000  plus extras of 34,000php
9    Elementary (Primary) School Grade 4    PHP 50,000  plus extras of 34,000php
10    Elementary (Primary) School Grade 5    PHP 50,000  plus extras of 34,000php
11    Elementary (Primary) School Grade 6    PHP 50,000  plus extras of 34,000php
12    Junior High School Grade 7    PHP 56,000  plus extras of 39,000php
13    Junior High School Grade 8    PHP 56,000  plus extras of 39,000php
14    Junior High School Grade 9    PHP 56,000  plus extras of 39,000php
15    Junior High School Grade 10    PHP 56,000  plus extras of 39,000php
16    Senior High School Grade 11    PHP 75,000  plus extras of 52,000php
17    Senior High School Grade 12    PHP 75,000  plus extras of 52,000php
18    Tertiary (College) school 1    PHP 175,000 plus extras of 120,000php
19    Tertiary (College) school 2    PHP 175,000  plus extras of 120,000php
20    Tertiary (College) school 3    PHP 175,000  plus extras of 120,000php
21    Tertiary (College) school 4    PHP 175,000  plus extras of 120,000php
22    Tertiary (College) school 5    PHP 175,000  plus extras of 120,000php

As we know the school fees are just that, they do not included extras that are asked of by the school; hence I have noted them above.

For Tertiary (college) school I am also considering budgeting in accommodation and am budgeting on about 1,000php per week.  If the children are bright I would like them to attend the best Philippine College and University (Not an international school, which is out of my financial ability)  Yep not cheap.

I have added an extra year of study – which is applicable in some courses.  Or I will use that extra budgeted year to support my children after they leave school.  As we know camaraderie (net-working) in the Philippines is the key to successful employment in good jobs.

ABCDiamond wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

Australian taxation will depend on your residency by tax purposes, not always very clear.

But if you have a home in Philippines, but not in Australia, and are in Philippines more days per year than in Australia, you are likely to be classed as non resident, and lose the tax free thresholds on your Australian income.

Yep thanks Diamond, I have put that into my budget.  I think it is about 32.5% on all earning made in Australia up to $80,000 - Before I move large sums of money here I need to understand the Philippines tax set up.  LOL another month or so of research on that topic for me.

Do you know about tax on Superannuation?  My understanding is that residency statues does not affect the Australian tax rate on earnings or draw downs from Super.

pej1111 wrote:

Do you know about tax on Superannuation?  My understanding is that residency statues does not affect the Australian tax rate on earnings or draw downs from Super.

I would get the Super checked, as it may not be clear, and of course things can, and do, change.

I did read this:

if the Australian superannuation benefits were to be taken in the form of lump sum payment, the benefits withdrawn would be taxable in Australia, in accordance with the marginal tax rate applicable to non-residents.

your rent is 8k a month and yet you spend nearly 122k a month for all your expenses? something is wrong with that picture. my rent is the same as yours and for the two of us we have never spent more than 40-45k for the month.

tommieboy999 wrote:

your rent is 8k a month and yet you spend nearly 122k a month for all your expenses? something is wrong with that picture. my rent is the same as yours and for the two of us we have never spent more than 40-45k for the month.

Thanks Tommieboy999,

the monthly amount includes, depreciation of house hold items (over 10 years), mobile phones x 2 depreciation (over 4 years), computers x 2 depreciation (over 5 years), purchasing of clothes - nothing last forever.  And a few other sundry items such as Visa etc.

And shown as a monthly amount in the figure I have given:  savings for medical emergencies, and flights (4 flights in one year) and accommodation when in Australia, and overseas holiday flights (2 people in one year) and accommodation when on holidays.

For me I need to budget high, so it may still be more than what you spend, to make sure when I come I can afford to stay for ever, as I will never get and pension of any sort.  Hopefully when living here I can spend what you spend, if this is the case I will be happy.

Thanks for you feed back as I still have a lot to learn.

pej1111 wrote:

the monthly amount includes, depreciation of house hold items (over 10 years), mobile phones x 2 depreciation (over 4 years), computers x 2 depreciation (over 5 years), purchasing of clothes - nothing last forever.  And a few other sundry items such as Visa etc.

And shown as a monthly amount in the figure I have given:  savings for medical emergencies, and flights (4 flights in one year) and accommodation when in Australia, and overseas holiday flights (2 people in one year) and accommodation when on holidays.

I think your expense calculations are a bit different, and on the safe side, to some of those who stay in the Philippines ;)

ABCDiamond wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

I think your expense calculations are a bit different, and on the safe side, to some of those who stay in the Philippines ;)

Thanks Diamond, I appreciate all feed back.

For a self funded retiree - Yearly increase in the cost of living (to use an Australian term CPI) in the Philippines?

Just looking into what people feel the yearly increase is in the cost of livings is in the Philippines?

I am budgeting on a yearly increase of 3% this would give me a net return of 2% on investments, with a the view of 5% returns on invested money, after taxes.

pej1111 wrote:

For a self funded retiree - Yearly increase in the cost of living (to use an Australian term CPI) in the Philippines?

Just looking into what people feel the yearly increase is in the cost of livings is in the Philippines?

I am budgeting on a yearly increase of 3% this would give me a net return of 2% on investments, with a the view of 5% returns on invested money, after taxes.

You have to take account of changing FX rates too.

My personal COL increase this year has been near enough 25%.  FX rate change of 42 pesos per $ down to only 32 pesos.

But if it goes the other way, then the effect can be nicer.  But either way, the FX rate changes could easily outweigh the local COL changes.

ABCDiamond wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

You have to take account of changing FX rates too.

My personal COL increase this year has been near enough 25%.  FX rate change of 42 pesos per $ down to only 32 pesos.

But if it goes the other way, then the effect can be nicer.  But either way, the FX rate changes could easily outweigh the local COL changes.

Thanks once again Diamond,

yep if I figure if I budget on the current rate of 31.5php to $1AUD in cannot go wrong, I have seen that the 10 year average is about 34php to $1AUD, but as you have mentioned before better to be conservative.  Lucky I did not jump here when it was 42php to $1AUD and think that that would continue for ever, I would have being caught with my pants around my ankles.

pej1111 wrote:

Lucky I did not jump here when it was 42php to $1AUD and think that that would continue for ever, I would have being caught with my pants around my ankles.

That's probably what hurt me financially, I've just seen steady decline since my first days at 40+ to the $

Hope that this link works it is a graph indicating the history of the AUD to the PHP, it may look like things can get worse.   On the up side when you look at the cost of living increase it historically has not being as high as it was a few months ago.  And right now is running very low.

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange … amp;MM1Y=0

Philippines CPI

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/philipp … lation-cpi

10.63 pesos to the A$ in 1986, with a high of 14.56

Going back to that rate would screw with some peoples plans for sure...

Even the US$ was down at 16.89 at one stage in that year

ABCDiamond wrote:

10.63 pesos to the A$ in 1986, with a high of 14.56

Going back to that rate would screw with some peoples plans for sure...

Even the US$ was down at 16.89 at one stage in that year

1945 was 2 pesos to the $USA.

The average for USD to PHP in 1986 was 20.38 in 1987 it was 20.56 average for each year.