Cost of living in Israel – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Israel in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Israel you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Israel?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Hi there. Trust me, I love Israel as well. Great food, beautiful open minded people, great historic sites, ect. However, there are some things we need to be realist about:
-The country's military expenditures are outrageous. Israel has enemies and spends a lot of money protecting its land and attacking those enemies if necessary. This has a great impact on the citizens' tax bill. So you will be paying a shitload of taxes.
-There is not really enough space in Israel for all the people who want to live there so expect real estate prices and your rent to be extremely high. You will have to find a roommate if you want to live near the beach in Tel Aviv on an average salary.
-Don't expect Israel to be this great democracy it once set out to be. It's mainly an oligarchy nowadays, governed by a few very rich and powerful families. Sadly, the middle class is dissappearing much like in the US.
-Cost of living is extraordinarily high compared to the relatively low average income. Unless you're a super qualified professional, do not expect to find a high paying job. Especially if you don't speak Hebrew. A lot of people in Israel live below the poverty line or they barely get by. Do not be naiv about this.
-Now I know, this doesn't sound very encouraging. I think they give incentive to Jewish people to immigrate because they're concerned the Arabs will outnumber them one day. But truth is, they're not waiting for you over there. Unless maybe, if you have family, which is truly an asset. If you don't, my advice to you is, stay in Europe.