Cost of living in Dominican Republic – 2015

Update on pricing:   Almost all fuels just went up in price. A gallon or regular gas is now 172.9 RD.  OR US $3.81 per gallon.    Yup its brutal.

Electricity has not changed in price.
All foods are more expensive.  Some local crops that were effected by the drought are still very expensive: Plantains,  Green Bananas,  Regular bananas.   Other crops like rice have also gone up in price but not as drastically.

Water -  40 to 50 RD per  large bottle, delivered from the local Colmado. Cheaper if you buy off a truck or go to the bottling plant.

City Water - I pay 427 RD per month for a 3 bedroom house city water connection. Inexpensive.

Internet -  20 gb per month 1,020 RD.

Cell phone -  Viva  200 minutes per month and full unlimited data plan 1,030 RD

Servicio of White Rum,  mix at a local dance club -  500RD.  Same Servicio down the road at a local club  450 RD. 50 RD difference is the "niceness" and security difference. Oh and the bathrooms are soooo much nicer.....

View on the Malecon  - Priceless.

Trip up the Teleferico in Puerto Plata -  US 10.

Chocolate Ice Cream sundae at  Burger King - 80 RD.  Yes I had a craving the other day... I needed it....LOL

I suppose you consider chocolate a food group?  :D :D :D

Bob K

Questions and answers about the Dominican Republic

Ask your question
Girlfriend experience in dominican republic
By Slavic12
Hairdressing jobs in Puerto Plata?
By Cookieboy1
Are you happy in Dominican Republic?
By Priscilla
Temporary Resdidencia - first steps!
By planner

Expatriate health insurance in Dominican Republic

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Dominican Republic

Moving to the Dominican Republic

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Dominican Republic

Travel insurance in Dominican Republic

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Dominican Republic

Flights to the Dominican Republic

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Dominican Republic