KSU, PNU and most institutions in KSA - How to survive

Firstly what's wrong with these Institutions - only one I can think of they are run by Arabs

KSU, PNU and most institutions won't give two cahoots about you. They will abuse you, swindle you out of Saudi Riyals even when you have a written contract in place.

Management just don't get why most teachers leave, instead they have the old mentality of lets put more control on people when they should be empowering them. I could give you plenty of examples.

How to survive:

Meet like minded teachers at the University as this will also be your source of venting out

If you are on the verge of going mad then start counselling before it's too late. I have seen some of my colleagues go into depression and take all kinds of medication just to cope, they stay in KSA because of the money. YOUR HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MONEY.

Go out for a walk in the evenings, try to meet up with friends in the evening.

Join a gym and take your anger out on the punch bags.

Go to see different places, they're are some beautiful places in Saudi or pop over to Dubai on a weekend.

and mostly importantly try not to take any work home with you.

So true! A lot of teachers at PNU have depression and anxiety. PNU is very lonely. I can't remember when I was so lonely at work. Teachers are reverse snobs so they act like if you are friendly to someone you are less then them, so they never smile or talk to people, even people who work together! It's a strange environment.

And you can't trust anyone - anyone. The admin rewards you for grassing on your colleagues.

Add that PNU is outside of Riyadh so it's hard to get out and do things. You either stay home or pay 100-150 sars for taxis.

So PNU teachers are generally unhappy people. I heard KSU is the same way. Honestly, I think it has something to do with Saudi Arabia, but I don't know what.

Hey! I am new to the Expatblog and I was searching for thread related to PNU. Can you just clarify what you mean by teachers? Do you teach the college students at PNU or do you work in the school for the staff there? I am thinking of applying for a professor position at PNU but there is hardly any information about the structure there.. Any information would be greatly appreciated.