Overview of all interest rates in Malta?

Hello,

is there website where i can compare all the interest rates in Malta?
Some sort of 'overview', so to speak.

Looking forward to a reply.

Kind regards,

Jurgen
The Netherlands

Hello Jurgen,

I don't know such a website but since interest rates across the Euro-zone are the same, bank interest rates for savers and borrowers are very similar. All you know about interest rates in Netherlands more or less apply here too.

Try:

http://malta.deposits.org/http://malta.deposits.org/fixed-deposits.htmlhttps://www.google.com.mt/search?q=inte … p;ie=UTF-8

some maltese establishments are offering good rates at between 3-4 % depending in term

but for banks its similar verty very low easy access savings interest

New Horizonz wrote:

...but since interest rates across the Euro-zone are the same, bank interest rates for savers and borrowers are very similar.

Believe me, they are not!

theyre definitely not.!!!!!!

Don't forget the simple law : No risk , no fun.

The higher the interest rate the higher the risk - to loose your money !

Feel free to invest with Maltese financial companies . I have several friends who have lost money but are still happy ! The high interest rate seems to boil the brain of many !

Cheers
Ricky

Disclaimer: Any investment of any sort in Malta (or elsewhere) is at your own risk.!

A few words of common sense:

The interest paid on savings is low everywhere in Euro-zone and non Euro UK, Swiss etc.

To get 3-4% p.a. you have to lock your money away for 5 years or longer.

If you leave a few hundred euros in your account, even a few thousand, after tax, you get no more than 10 or 15 Euros per month in interest: hardly worth loosing sleep over.

To live off the interest, one needs serious 6-digits savings locked away for years. Only then it might be worth looking at interest rates, but realistically your money isn't working for you in that account. There are better ways to use your capital.

This is not common sense:
10-12% interest rates on hard currencies  (€, £, $) available in Ukraine and Russia from high street banks without long term commitments. For those with good hearts and te**les made of steel, 25% or sometimes even higher interest rates are available on savings in their local currencies.

theres always risk..... no matter where you put your hard earned.... but it is manageable with common sense and plenty of research.... the meltdown events of the last 7 years is evidence of the risk we all face.

Thanks for replying!

ricky wrote:

Don't forget the simple law : No risk , no fun.
The higher the interest rate the higher the risk - to loose your money !

I'm only interested in banks who participate in the Depositor Compensation Scheme, so no risk.

New Horizonz wrote:

The interest paid on savings is low everywhere in Euro-zone and non Euro UK, Swiss etc.
To get 3-4% p.a. you have to lock your money away for 5 years or longer.

No, that's not true. 3% for a one year Fixed Term Deposit is good for now.

I understand that Ukraine also has a similar scheme but to a lower level.

Yes, good compare to 0.0001% offered elsewhere.
I haven't seen 3% interest rate on 12 months fixed terms depositd.

I know about that site, but just a few banks are listed there.
maltabankers.org/listofmemberbanks?l=1 and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Europe#.C2.A0Malta are better sites for an overview from the banks in Malta, but you have to look up the interest rates on their websites yourself. And that rather time consuming :(

New Horizonz wrote:

I understand that Ukraine also has a similar scheme but to a lower level.

But this country is not a EU-member state and that's always a no for me. Too risky.

New Horizonz wrote:

I haven't seen 3% interest rate on 12 months fixed terms deposit.

Well, i have...

If you're here to just argue, I can introduce you to some people I know. How about we go with spirit of the site, that is offering help and advice? How about you share what you've found out as it might be of benefit to others?

Best wishes

Smack. You asked for information now you start to argue with responses and  tell me what I should have done.
I was suspicious about your request but responded out of consideration.
So it's time consuming looking things up is it?
Oh dear. So sorry.

@New Horizonz Today 18:05:43:
i'm here to find out if there's a website where i can see all interest rates in Malta, to compare and get the best rate possible, obvious.
I'm not here to argue, but what you write in your replies is so not true that i get the feeling that you don't know what you are talking about.
"How about you share what you've found out" > i haven't seen a request from you?

@redmik Today 18:48:54:
"Why ask then tell me what I should have done."
Well, i mentioned 2 sites i've used myself? But looking up the interest rates that way is time consuming.
So now i have the feeling that there isn't a website to compare interest rates in Malta. To bad :(

smack. Do your own research. Sahha.

@smack

My grandpa taught me this:
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their own low level me and beat you with their experience."

My grandma taught me this:
"Always respect old women. You don't know what they had to endure to be here."

redmik wrote:

Smack. You asked for information now you start to argue with responses and  tell me what I should have done.

No, i'm simply letting you guys know what i did, i'm not telling someone else what to do, but here in the Netherlands there are a number of websites that have a simple overview about where to get the best interest rates on a savings account and term deposits. All banks are listed, so damn handy! And then i wondered if there would be such a site for interest rates in Malta, but it's clear to me that there is not, unfortunately.

redmik wrote:

So it's time consuming looking things up is it? Oh dear. So sorry.

If i have to, then i will, of course. So no need to feel sorry for me!

New Horizonz wrote:

My grandpa taught me this:
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their own low level me and beat you with their experience."

My grandma taught me this:
"Always respect old women. You don't know what they had to endure to be here."

Since i'm not an idiot, nor female, i haven't got a clue why you are bringing that up.

smack wrote:

[

redmik wrote:

So it's time consuming looking things up is it? Oh dear. So sorry.

If i have to, then i will, of course. So no need to feel sorry for me!

I'm not; sarcasm - lost in translation.  :whistle:

redmik wrote:

I'm not; sarcasm - lost in translation.  :whistle:

Oh, i got that, but i like to keep things friendly.

Anyway, all this is off-topic.

bottom line is that you can get decent rates with care and research,

and yes i too have seen rates of 3% on one year fixed....

even in malta you can get 2.5% and 2.75% on one year fixed... easy

and also 1.75% on easy acccess

You are correct, Toon, indeed you can.

At this moment here in the Netherlands:
- normal savings account: 1,65% max
- 12 month deposit: 1.83% max

even here in dodgy old Cyprus and we all now how messed up the banks are here... you can get 3.15% on 12months  and 3% on 6months

6months is not so bad but am not inclined to risk longer than that here ....and only small sums.

Toon wrote:

even here in dodgy old Cyprus and we all now how messed up the banks are here... you can get 3.15% on 12months  and 3% on 6months

6months is not so bad but am not inclined to risk longer than that here ....and only small sums.

Very wise as once the Euro starts to implode who knows what will happen with the banking systems in smaller economies ?

Hedge your bets and spread it around, nothing long term seems the way to go.

Terry

absolutely Terry.....

risk management at its finest - pity the ankers (slient W) didnt deploy the same

Toon wrote:

Good morning Toon

Both very good rates. Don't you agree? Much better than in Malta and only to be dreamt of in the UK. Half that through ISA if lucky to find it!! but why dodgy Cyprus? Isn't DPS applicable to Cyprus? I am askeg to know (just out of interest) about now and also about a year or two ago with the money grabbing policy they had then. Short termism and disservice to the country if you ask me.

I think even 3% is a disgrace considering the terms and penalities applied for early access in an emergency.
For easy access best you'd find here is 2%, though am not qualified for it.

yes all the banks here in Cyprus are covered by the DPS but the big question is.. can the government afford to honour it ....my guess is no  - many of the Cyprus banks struggled to pass the stress tests and one failed it Hellenic