Beach, modernity and diving! Where to stay for a few months?

Dear all,

My girlfriend and I will be self-studying next semester and have therefore decided to stay in the Philippines for two to three months. What has attracted us to the Philippines are the magnificent beaches, amazing diving and the modernity (well, many parts.)

So we initially thought that Cebu would be ideal, as it is a big and modern city (good internet, restaurants, clubbing, malls), close enough for weekend trips to Malapascua island. But, then we heard that the beaches aren't good at all...

We want to be able to live in close proximity to a clean beach where we could walk down and swim everyday - if we wanted to. I have read a lot about Bohol, and am trying to look into Tagbilaran (good beach, malls etc.) and perhaps even Panglao? Also looked at Dumaguete (but too far from Malapascua and full of retired expats.)

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Cheers!

You're sort of like me...I like staying away from tourists (local and out of country ones) so we head for the country side clear away from the beaten track.  My wife and I found this place near Aborlan in Palawan....a good hour away from the capital, Puerto Princesa.  Being our first trip there...we opted staying at an established resort...but didn't find the usual big crowd.  Kind of far from any populated areas (the good thing is, the resort takes care of picking us up in their van from the airport, toured us around a bit...and also brought us back to the airport when it was time for us to leave).  Even that place was not really hidden from tourists as we thought; we found a newly-wed couple from Japan sharing the resort with us.  But they kept pretty much to themselves.  Wouldn't you, if you were on your honeymoon?  Otherwise...we had the resort pretty much to ourselves.  Food at the resort was great...and the service was even greater.   We had our own hut...the size of a small house...not a room, like what you get in other more modern resort/hotels.  It is on the beach, of course.  I walked the beach almost daily...2-3 miles of it...and the only other person I found was a fisherman unloading his catch...and another couple (local) strolling with their young son.  That's it!   The resort didn't even have a phone...they use a two-way radio to communicate outside the resort.  No TV (Thank goodness).  Saw several properties for sale as we strolled the beach.  Been to many other places...but this is one we found the most isolated and sparsely populated.  Just the way we wanted it.  Been to Cebu, Iloilo, Guimaras Island, Dumaguete, Bacolod, Subic Bay, and the beaches up north, etc......they're ok if you like the hustle and bustle and noise of densely populated places.  If you're into shopping and crowds...these places are great.  I grew up in Manila...I did ok,  but don't care much for the crowd, noise, heavy traffic, pollution and noise.   There is another place you might check out...a tiny island off Dauin (just south of Dumaguete)...called Apo.  It is a tiny island...it is populated and the locals are super friendly.  Fantastic diving sites around the island.  It's on the web...so you can get to see what it looks like before heading there.  I'm sure there are plenty of nice beaches near and around Cebu City...you just have to explore around.  You don't have to get stuck with ugly, crowded beaches.  Residing in Washington state now...but looking forward to returning home soon (Philippines).

Wallaman   But then you have the problem of 4 hours by bus to town.  Just a room with air and need eat at the local cafes every day.    There is the problem for good clean beach's here I know many. But all are 2 to 4 hours out of the bigger cities.  Motel rooms are small, internet is poor to none. They are get away places for the weekend.  Go threw the week and you have the whole beach to yourself.  In the big cities the beach's are overrun but you have internet and T.V.  Such is life in the Philippines.  And it takes 3 to 4 months to know a area you need take bus trips, talk to the locals and learn the Philippines.  It has every thing you want. But not all in the same place.