32yo male and single, $1k a month in PR, Possible?

Hi all, I'm burnt out at my job and looking to go on walkabout for a year or two.... or five. lol. I have been a diligent saver and I have investment income of $1k a month. The reason I am starting in PR is that I am a US citizen and won't need to make border runs every 90 days. I also want to learn how to surf and scuba dive. I am willing to work for free as long as my expenses are covered with $1k. I'm also not opposed to working part time. It looks like Rincon is the surf capital of PR but is it the best place for beginners? I am also looking at Panama, Nicaragua, Roatan, and SE Asia. I've met a few PR's and they said this was possible but it depends where you live. Also I don't want to own a car while I'm there. Everything needs to be within bicycling/scooter distance. I'm looking for any ideas....
Thanks,

Dave

PR would be have the highest cost of living of the options you mention (excluding, obviously, cities in SE Asia such as Singapore). So you would get the least bang for your buck in PR.

Also, as you really need a car in PR unless you live in Old San Juan or maybe Condado, that will eat into your allowance significantly. (Having lived in Panama I'd say you'd want to have a car there as well in order to get the most out of it.)

Bottom line: $1k per month is doable but you wouldn't live as well as you could in SE Asia, Nicaragua or Roatan. Good luck either way!