New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here - 1st quarter of 2015

hello,
My husband , son and I are seriously considering a move to Sosua. We are wanting to buy a house with apartments for rental income. We are both in our 40's. Son is 11. We are aware of the international school and have emailed them for more info. however have not heard back. Any thoughts on that school and how much tuition costs?
We are coming into PP in April to check out a few potential properties. We will be seeing them with Ina Hapke. agent for Century 21. Seems nice.
Questions...how does it work to buy? Ina says there is a 20% down payment and no interest. ???
My husband is an executive chef ..fine dining. catering that kind of thing.  Any websites you can recommend for jobs?
I was interested in maybe property management for Canadians or others who buy vaca properties and need someone to keep an eye on their investments. I am also trained as a Personal Support Worker.
how about buying a car?  Necessary ? expensive? insurance?

Any advise you could give would be very appreciated!
Faith

ontarions welcome to the forum

Starting a business here is tough and lots of hoops to jump through.  Also not sure of the need for another bakery but I guess that would depend on location.

Have you been here  before?  You will need residency, cedula and a tax ID number to start a business.  This has been discussed on numerous threads here so do a search and read, read, read. Please feel free to ask any questions as they come up

Again welcome

Bob K

Pascalfaith.
First welcome to the forum. Lots of good information for you here.

First question is have you been here before and if so as more than a week or two vacation?  Before you buy anything or pack it all in you need to "live" here for a month or two to see if the place fits for you.

Opening a business (any business) involves lots of government hoops. You will need Cedula and tax RCN (number) to operate legally.

I worked in real estate here for 6 years and I have never heard of 20% and no interest.  Is this a mortgage or a note being held by the seller??? Be VERY careful and get yourself a good local attorney before you sign anything or had over any Money.

All the other questions come after you have addressed the above.  Finding jobs here is difficult.

Do your homework and research living and working here by checking the multiple threads on the subjects.

Good luck and keep the questions coming.  As to the ISS give them a call.

Bob K

Where is the property located,  what is the rental potential, does have electric  back up, security, internet, cable.  Remember it is about location, location, location.

Thanks

thank you very much bob k and planner. i will keep reading.

Bob is right, opening a business is not easy here.  And you really need to know what you are doing, the language and the culture, the labor laws and so much more. 

Real estate - I've never heard of interest free anything ever.  Be very careful....

Tom,

Welcome the forum, my wife and I bought a small villa last year in sosua. We were lucky enough to use Ana and Alex Nogueira of Juan Perdomo century 21. They have been featured on "Househunters" and are really first rate and the best in the Sosua and Cabarete area.I tell you this with nothing to gain. They know every property available and will listen to what you want and not to what they want to sell. Also look at villa rentals,they are no more expensive than hotels and you can do your own cooking. Just do internet search for rental villas and you can contact Anabela and Alex at dreamteam@juanperdomo.

We will be moving permanently to villa beginning next month otherwise you would be welcome to stay there: )
Let me know if I can be of further assistance, am actually from Costa Rica and kind of know the ropes regarding 3 rd world countries...

Peter where did you buy your villa?

Bob K

Thank you all so much for your advice. We have taken your input into consideration and have decided to do further research.  We are coming again to Puerto Plata and will be viewing several properties around Sosua. Any idea what the interest rate is there? I checked Scotia bank there but I can't find any info. Is air conditioning a necessity,  we saw a house without it.

Thanks.

Mortgages are rare, expensive and very difficult to obtain. You will be better off with a home equity loan or personal loan from home.

Bob K

Hello to All,

I enjoy reading your posts and the opportunity to become more familiar with DR. My husband is Dominican and we travel to DR back and forth, since all his family resides there.  I'm definitely interested in buying property and perhaps retire there someday. Since we have a family with small children, the thought of moving must be very well thought out first. I thought the transition would be easy, but after reading different forums, it's not as easy as I thought.

I definitely love all the feedback on the culture and the process in DR. Every time I go, I feel so helpless and depend on everyone. The forums have helped me a lot. I was born & raised in Florida. My parents are Central American but didn't speak much Spanish growing up. So my husband taught me Spanish & I taught him English. ☺

Kurly welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you are going about it in the correct way and with the correct attitude.

Lots of luck and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Bob K

Thanks.
I wanted to inquire regarding local insurance in Sto Dom. It seems planner is the go to person.

She is for SD.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums!   If I can  help feel free to message me..... happy to help.

Youi are right, take it slow,  make sure you know what you want and why, then how you would go about moving here now or at retirement.....

Hi Bob,
we're  in cabarete now. Are u in the area for a drink & conversation?

Thanks,

Tom & Ling

Actually a bit under the weather today (bad lunch yesterday) so have not left the house today.

How long are you here for?

Bob K

Get better honey.

hello everyone, our names are Bob and Ann.  We hope to one day retire in the DR if its as beautiful as we have been told. Several friends of ours have been there and have shown us pics and have nothing but wonderful things to say. We will be going there to see first hand in March of 2016. Its still a dream thats 10 yrs away but want to really make sure this is the island to retire on. Here in the states we know that retirement is even a bigger dream that cant be done and live comfortable. Looking to make a few friend, that we can ask " A LOT OF QUESTION" and have a good time. Cant wait to hear from folks.

Thank u in advance
Bob and Ann

Bob and Ann welcome to the forum.  Yes it can be a great place to retire (we did it 9 years ago). Do come and visit.

You will find lots of good folks here on the forum with good information.  So please feel free to ask away!

Bob K

Welcome Bob and Ann,  start reading my friends. Lots of info on the forums here for you to digest, then start asking questions! 

Its not all paradise and you have to be ready for reality!  Be openminded and flexible and it will all be doable.....    Living here is an adventure and so worth it for many of us, but not for all of us...............

thank u Bob. really looking forward to getting to know everyone

good morning planner and thank you for the welcome. Has been a very long night just could not put the p.c. down. lol so much info to take in. Wow what a bunch of great advise and cant wait to read more. The pictures are absolutely beautiful. Just want to make me make a drink and feel the warmth of the sun and sand, but then I look up from the screen see 4ft of snow and 10 degree temps uuuuuuggggggg.

Snow!!!  Lived in the mountains of Colorado for 20 years and don't miss it for a nano second.

Stay warm

Bob K

Good day guys!

My Name is Daniel from Canada. I'm seriously considering moving to D.R. after several years traveling to D.R.
and traveling throughout the whole Island.

If you have any piece of advice and let me know how or where I can find a decent job I would greatly appreciate it. I have contacted a few agencies but they don't look serious.

Thank you for your time :)

Cheers

Daniel.

Daniel welcome to the forum.

You will find getting a job here difficult at best and wages are very low. You will also need to have your residency and cedula (national Id card) to work here legally.

Do s search here on the forum for the various threads that may help you. Also living here is vastly different than coming on vacation no matter how many times you travel here.  Before making and rash moves come and live for a couple of months as a resident and not a tourist and see if it "fits"

Good luck

Bob K

Why wait for over a year to visit?   Give yourselves a wonderful present & don't wait so long.   Don't deny yourselves the joy & wonder of this beautiful spot on earth.   The pros far outweigh the cons.   Read all the threads you can.   Allow a childlike curiosity  to fill your exploration.   30 years in the Caribbean has taught me, that for me, the D.R. is the place to spend the rest of my life.   The people, the culture, the healthy food. ( 98% of all locally produced food is untouched by chemicals, 100% organic).   Have fun learning about the island.   You can only do this by coming here for an extended stay.    As they say on that TV show,  "Come On Down!".                Adventure is the glue that binds our life.

It's not so much the matter if "It"  "Fits", it is more whether "you" fit.   Semantics I know, but still true.

Actually it needs to "fit" both ways :D

Bob K

Hey Bob, thanks a bunch for that welcome! I will definitely adapt to any living conditions, therefore the lower living standards aren't much of a challenge. I'm only concerned about the security and on finding a decent job.

Cheers!

Daniel.

Thank you Mr gypsy, wise words!

I'm very familiar with the living standards in D.R., their culture, and the fact that good food grows wild there is a plus, as almost all the food here in Canada is full of GMO, processed, and imported :))) . I will not have any problem with the language since I speak perfectly Spanish :)

As much as I appreciate the advantages of being here, an winter season of almost eleven month long is very limiting and definitely not for me. We only live once and I want to live doing sports and activities outside, even if it's climbing a mountain, hanging out with new friends, a long walk without worrying of any frostbite injury, or a well deserved weekend at the beach.

Thanks again for all the hints !

Cheers

Daniel.

can anyone tell us where (in their opinion) the best place to live would be? We love the beach, swimming in calm waters, not crowded, not to far from the everyday husslel

You are right Bob.  Idiots, fools & out right a....holes will never "fit" anywhere.   Tolerance & respect are mutual necessities in all aspects of life no matter where you live.  Thanks for the reminder.

Decide what you want & how you want to live.   What type of evironment physically,  what kind of people will enhance your contentment.   What can you do without, what compromises you can make & not feel you have settled for less.    It's not just climate, culture or less expensive living that should define your goals.    I mention often the sense of adventure being a vital part of life.  If being locked in a gated community with heavy security is your goal, then go for it.   But I think you will be missing the essence of life where ever you choose to live.    Due care & awareness of your surroundings should be sufficient for general safety.       Looking over your shoulder always should be relegated to those on the run from Interpol or the like.    Come & enjoy the pleasures of the North shore.   If you want hustle & bustle, go to Santo Domingo or Santiago.   Both are big cities with more than a million people.   Just spread your wings & fly down here,  laugh & marvel at this wondrous island.    Welcome to the forum.   A diverse group is here willing to help in any way possible.

Hello atrok3!

The good thing about D.R. is that beaches are very accessible no matter where you choose to live. Having a car is something to consider however the public transportation has improved tremendously and in the even one need to travel from a province to another, you can have a look at Caribe Tours website [link moderated] ( for fares and schedules information about the interurban bus system)

In Samana province the two places I would personally consider is either Las Terrenas or Las Galeras.

Santo Domingo is definitely a busy city, but there are beaches close by, less crowded during the week days, Playa Caribe is good spot. I'm quite sure other users already living there will provide you with more information and choices to evaluate.

Good luck in your search and all the best!

D.

Welcome to all of you to the forums!!!!  Quite the discussion going on here.   There is something for everyone here. But it is not for everyone.  Come down for several months and give it a try! 

Beaches are not really accessible from everywhere!!!!   Jarabacoa is a long way from the beach. And remember distance is relative. 

You need to come down, check it out for yourself!  Check out various areas. I never thought I would like the big city - but I did.  I also now am learning to really love La Romana.  I also lived in Puerto Plata 7 years and found a lot to love on the north coast!!!!     

Everyone is different and what you want and or need is different. No one of us has the answers for you, we have information and experience!  Take what you will of that and go find what works for you!!!

Read lots,  there is so much information already on the threads.  Then post your questions in the appropriate thread or start a new one!!!  We are sure to come answer............

thank you very much planner and everyone else who helps supply info on these forums

Welcome to the forums.  you are arriving during high season with nowhere to stay???  Not a good plan.  Hiring someone to go off to help the poor by handing out food etc.....also not a good plan.   This is a recipe for trouble.

Do some research before you undertake this endeavor.  This can be vey dangerous for you especially with NO plan. You might do better hooding up with a church group that is doing this already BEFORE you come down.

BObK

Sorry I know of no availability at this time.  You might check Trip advisor for local rentals or some sites like VRBO (vacation rental by owner)

Bob K

Closed