Receiving mail in Phnom Penh

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this.  A few days ago, my bank in Canada notified me that my MasterCard had been compromised and that they were going have to cancel my card and send me a new one (with a new account number).  I asked them to send it to me in Phnom Penh via Fedex/DHL but they told me the only option available was to have it sent via the postal system.

I gave them the address of the guesthouse that I am staying at in PP but I have to admit that I am a bit worried that my new card will ever make it here based on what I read recently (online) about the postal system in Cambodia.

Is my card doomed to never make it to me here in PP?

Would it be delivered to my guesthouse (near the river on 136 Street) or do I need to pick it up at the post office?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Roy

Hi Roy,  Well......... I had a friend send me a letter from the states and it took about 3 months to get here but it did . good luck.  Lawrance

To make it sure it's better to pick it up from postal office

Thanks for all of the replies - I appreciate them.

Is this the post office I would go to in PP?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Cambod … a611941378

zeubie wrote:

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this.  A few days ago, my bank in Canada notified me that my MasterCard had been compromised and that they were going have to cancel my card and send me a new one (with a new account number).  I asked them to send it to me in Phnom Penh via Fedex/DHL but they told me the only option available was to have it sent via the postal system.

I gave them the address of the guesthouse that I am staying at in PP but I have to admit that I am a bit worried that my new card will ever make it here based on what I read recently (online) about the postal system in Cambodia.

Is my card doomed to never make it to me here in PP?

Would it be delivered to my guesthouse (near the river on 136 Street) or do I need to pick it up at the post office?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Roy

Why not get it sent to a friends address in Canada and then get them to Fedex / DHL it to you ??

stumpy wrote:

Why not get it sent to a friends address in Canada and then get them to Fedex / DHL it to you ??

That is a great idea - thanks for suggesting it.

In the panic after having my credit card stolen, I didn't think about that - the bank agent just kept telling me they would mail it to me, so I agreed.  But what you suggested is my "Plan B" in case I don't get my new card in a reasonable time.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for help.  I appreciate it.

Just to give everyone an update - this morning, I received my card in the mail.  Took 9 days from Toronto, Canada to arrive here at my guesthouse.  Must say that I am very pleasantly surprised by this. 

Just thought I would post this if anyone is ever expecting to receive mail here in PP.

That was FAST. We've still not received all Christmas mail that I know has been posted by our relatives.
Maybe as usual, the last envelopes will reach us around June again...

As for receiving mail securely, for future reference, ask the sender to register it, send to the central post office, and put your phone number on it.

Like that, the post office will redirect the mail to EMS, who will then give you a call once it arrives, and you can pick it up from the central EMS office (after paying about 2000 Riels storage fee). Only works with registered mail as far as I know.

Why wont they allow fed ex or DELIVER the card?   Also how did you finally do it , by mail from the bank to the postal office or did you have it sent to a friend and he used Fedex!

Hello Roy

Been through the same situation, I anything important you need to have sent EMS, Fed Ex, UPS or DHL , I have found DHL to be the least expensive.  Ask your bank to send the card to a friend in your countries address and have you friend forward it DHL if possible. Sorry to say but many Cambodian postal workers have sticky fingers so to say. If  your bank sends by regular mail good luck,  You might open a PO box at the post office which might make it safer.  I have opened one and receive official mail from social security there.  Haven't had and credit card sent yet. Hopes this helps

Cheers

Good  you were lucky and 9 days is a milestone.  Still recommend get a PO box if in PP. Its the safer than having something sent to a residence.

Cheers

Hey Zeubie, from what I know getting something in 9 days is a miracle! What service did you use? Or did you financial institution mail it to a friend who sent it DHL or what. I am going through a similar mailing dilemma now. I have a POB in Siem Reap, and all things being equal; please tell me more about your experience.