Non EU residency

About to buy an apartment, prime residence in Malta.  Not sure if I can stay and live here continuously as get conflicting replies.  Is there another Australian aged pensioner who has already investigated this topic?

Are you a registered (formally recognised) resident?

No, simply applied for AIP permit.  What sort of registration are we talking about?  I would be a self sufficient retiree, Form K I think but about to do this.  Long queues, impossible to see anyone although I have made enquiries from two notaries....different answers.

Yes Form K in your case is the correct form to apply for residency.
You could prepare that and submit it yourself.
The required supporting documentation is listed on the form.

As a resident I would then think that you would have no problem residing in your property.
I can't imagine why there should be any issues.

However, Ricky is your man here to give you the definitive answers you need.
Maybe PM him?

Many thanks for such a quick reply.  No one answers emails I notice in these offices,  no doubt overloaded, so how do I proceed after lodging?  Is it a matter or turning up again on a certain date?  How do I PM someone called Rick?  Can you put me in contact with someone who is non EU and already done this? 
Only been here 60 days so far...purchase maybe previous but, hey, it's "the quick and the dead" as they say.  (not cremation of course). Been here before.
We have ( Australian) RHA status for 6 months but would I need to show private insurance arrangment when applying?

Businesses here are notorious for not responding to emails, it's their way and sometimes it's bluddy annoying!
You need to go to the offices to submit your residence application.
When you have all the necessary documents relevant to your type of application originals and copies and photographs required (details on the appropriate application form) you have to attend the ID Card Office at Evans Building, St Elmos Place, Valletta.
Applications for Maltese Citizenship and Residence documentation are to be submitted at the said building between. Monday to Thursday from 8.30am till 3.30pm between 1st October to 15th June and between 8.00 am till noon between 16th June and 30th September.
Check opening times though before you go, they may change.
Be prepared to queue.
Ensure you have all the necessary copies and photographs .
The clerk will verify them against your original documents.

As for health insurance you may or may not need private insurance when you apply, that will depend upon their interpretation of the requirements at the time but ensure you have an Entitlement Card or a letter indicating entitlement from the Entitlement Office, before applying for residence Entitlement Unit located at:

Entitlement Unit
Ground Floor
St Luke's Hospital
G'Mangia

I will message Ricky and ask him to have a look at this thread and give his advice.

Hi all,

residency permits for non-EU foreign nationals are always temporary and subject to the discretion of the Director or the residency department.

Buying/owning property does not change this. AIP permit only means that you are of good conduct and are allowed to buy a property. It does not mean that you are granted the residence permit to live there. You should check terms and conditions as just buying is not enough , there are administrative fees and minimum tax payments in the excess of 20.000 €/year depending on the persons involved (HNI Programm)

The expectation at the moment is that you should apply under the Residence Scheme or High Net Worth Scheme. Even better and safer is to invest the money and 'buy' a Maltese passport.

Malta has licked blood with the millions rolling in through the passport sale and any other option like just ' self-sufficiency' is seen as circumventing the cashflow!

If you came on a tourist visa you should look into the matter soon before your visa expires.

Just going to Valletta and saying I have enough money , can I become resident could prove difficult.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for your reply. I understand the limitations of the AIP permit but if I buy this property, even on a tourist visa, surely I can live there whilst a registered e resident for at least 6 months then re enter Malta (perhaps after living in a non Shengen country for another 6 months)?  Currently my pension payment does not  exceed 20,000 euros.  I understand that if I still only access money from a debit card, this income is not taxable here.

Of course the main agenda are these two other expensive schemes, but for those of us not able to buy the passport, is there no other cheaper available option open currently now that, as you say, the cashflow is coming in with the expensive options.if we are willing to put money into real estate here.? Of course encouraged also by the unregulated and often misinformed real estate agents.  Must say two other Maltese Consulates have not caught up to date with the current agenda and I was misled about the availability of cheap options....in at least two other countries.  Two lawyers have told me I can stay for at least 6 months....of course still at the discretion of the authorities.  Also understand, as an e resident non EU, I cannot rent this property either. 

Any other comments would be helpful to weigh up the risks."....

Hi Ozchook,

if you have a visa for 6 months you can stay for 6 months in Malta, whether in your own place or elsewhere, otherwise 3 months.

Temporary residency can be granted at the discretion of the Director for periods of up to 1 year at a time. Annual income for a married couple is 16305 € for a married couple or more. Health coverage is also required. Be prepared that the renewal can be stopped anytime as the authorities avoid allowing non-EU citizens to stay for more than 5 years.

Any money brought into Malta , whether from a machine or in cash, is certainly taxable but can be countered if you are paying taxes in Australia.

You can leave the Schengen area for more than 6 months and return later. Doing this on a regular basis would cause problems.

You should go to the Department at the Ewans Building asap and discuss your options there.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thanks again for all this info.  As an Australian I did not need a visa to come here to Malta but if I wish to stay for longer than 3 months, I assume I would have to apply for an extension.  Tried last year to speak to someone at the Ewans building but they were so overloaded, was not successful.  When you see the piles of residency applications, this is quite understandable but will try again.  Even the lawyer I consulted here informed me she cannot contact them directly any more.
I do not pay any tax in Australia on my aged pension so don't know where this leaves me here other than the usual ATM transaction fee and exchange rates I have paid to transfer money here for the deposit on this property, am currently not taxed anywhere.
Totally understand that I would have to factor in the fact that they don't want any non EU citizen after five years.  What is the HNI ? ....and when you mention "at the discretion of the Director"...to whom are you referring.?.....
Don't want to bang on too much, but any information I get is helpful as I have a very limited time to make any decisions.
Thanks again....cheers. Robyn

Hi Ozchook,

you referred to 6 months residency so I presumed that you had a visa for longer!

As you say the normal Schengen visa is for 3 months and not extendable.

'Director' is the Director of the Department for Emmigration and Residency. As far as I know it is a woman at the moment.

HNI is the High-Networth Individual Programm but it obiously won't work for you as it requires minimum taxpaments and so on.

You should apply for temporary residency as soon as possible and take it from there. You will need a cover letter and a nice reason for your stay in Malta. I'm not sure if ' want to live permanently retired in Malta' is the best reason.

Taxes are something that you will have to sort out . To gain residency you have to bring 16305 € into Malta per year which is way above the minimum taxable amount of around 9000 €.

Cheers
Ricky

Just to stick my halfpenny's worth in here, to elaborate on tax............

Everyone is required to register for Income Tax if you are resident on Malta.  In general, individuals are considered to be resident in Malta if they spend more than 183 days in a calendar year in Malta. (Whether you are liable to pay any tax will depend upon your circumstances.)

Quote:
An individual, who is either resident in Malta or domiciled in Malta, but not both, is subject to tax on income arising in Malta, on income arising abroad but received in Malta, and on capital gains arising in Malta. Individuals who are neither resident in Malta nor domiciled in Malta (temporary residents) are subject to tax only on income and capital gains arising in Malta.
This includes the use of Credit/Debit cards connected with any bank outside Malta.

Residents are required to register for taxation purposes and to complete and submit tax assessments.