Armed Robberies

Hi - I've been thinking of moving to Ghana for sometime but my main concern is  safety. I hear and read a lot about Armed robberies and it does concern me - I mean - you'd only have to experience that once and it would put you off living anywhere. I've got little children so this is a big concern.
Those living in Ghana - is it something that concerns you or is it so rare that you don't think about it?
For Expats are you better living in a gated community - would it be safer?
Are there safer areas to live than others?
Are there actually Expat areas?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Michael

I understand your concern and am not going to downplay the fact that around the Christmas period there were several armed robberies, some involving expats but to be honest I probably feel safer moving around and living here than I would in London.
Yes there are areas where expats live, Labone, Airport Residential, Cantonments, and yes most people live in some form of gated community but there are probably fewer robberies than there would be in the UK and when people are robbed it is usually some form of 'inside job'.
Living here is relatively safe for both you and your family if you take the same precautions you would anywhere.