Driving regulations in Libya

Hey people I'm new here on the forum. Please can someone answer me where can I find regulations and laws regarding driving in libya. Especially regarding the driving of heavy machinery?

Ps. I'll be in Libya in maybe 10 days, so I'll contact the crew for playing football ;)

C ya!

P.

Hi you wait till you get to Libya there are no Laws on driving as you will see.

As long as you can drive like an A** you will fit in perfect:D

percy007 wrote:

Hey people I'm new here on the forum. Please can someone answer me where can I find regulations and laws regarding driving in libya. Especially regarding the driving of heavy machinery?

Ps. I'll be in Libya in maybe 10 days, so I'll contact the crew for playing football ;)

C ya!

P.

Percy, the rules are simple, put your pedal to the metal and go as fast as you can whilst studiously ignoring the safety of ALL other road users. You can if you like drive the wrong way down a dual carriageway, and it is compulsory to use your mobile phone whilst simultaneously lighting your Cigarette from your car lighter (which you have just retrieved after dropping it in the foot well)  . It is also highly recommended that when you see brake lights from the cars in front of you (can't be any further away than 2 metres) that you only brake at the last minute,  thus scaring the crap out of your passengers, and anyone less than 50 feet behind you. Also it is compulsory at red lights (if you bothered to stop at it in the 1st place) to honk your horn angrily at the car in front for not accelerating away from the lights 5 seconds before they change faster than Usain Bolt on amphetamines.

The speedo on any vehicle in Libya is there to tell you how fast you're NOT going :lol:

Oh yea...

And you need to have a friend whom you can call if anything happens to save your a@@...

My company driver always passes on red. I have asked him why he does that every time. He answered: "I have a police friend. I can call him if anyone tries to ticket me." Our house is close to the cemetery. I answered "i hope he helps your parents to bury you there if any accident happens..."

percy007 wrote:

Hey people I'm new here on the forum. Please can someone answer me where can I find regulations and laws regarding driving in libya.

Ps. I'll be in Libya in maybe 10 days,

P.

Consider your drive from the airport to your hotel as a fact finding trip! You're in for a wee shock :lol:

Mudman wrote:
percy007 wrote:

Hey people I'm new here on the forum. Please can someone answer me where can I find regulations and laws regarding driving in libya.

Ps. I'll be in Libya in maybe 10 days,

P.

Consider your drive from the airport to your hotel as a fact finding trip! You're in for a wee shock :lol:

If it was anything like my journey, he will do most of it with his eyes shut, and the rest of it with his jaw hitting the car floor :P

I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car

When you get here you will see what we mean :D

Thanks guys, I know how people drive in Tripoli, but I was thinking more on regulations if I want to employ a foreign citizen for driving work machines on site (let's say bulldozers and similar machines)

I am not sure about construction machinery, probably you can hire expat drivers as that is specialized equipment, but for regular driving of trucks, trailers, etc specially across the desert expats drivers are not allowed.

my advice is have driver at least for 6 months and later you can decide if you drive or not
regards

Siddiqui wrote:

I am not sure about construction machinery, probably you can hire expat drivers as that is specialized equipment, but for regular driving of trucks, trailers, etc specially across the desert expats drivers are not allowed.

Even if you have a "desert pass" for work like me ?

Siddiqui wrote:

for regular driving of trucks, trailers, etc specially across the desert expats drivers are not allowed.

Nonsense...there are many non-Libyans driving 18 wheeler wireline and cement trucks all round the desert!

engineer12345 wrote:

my advice is have driver at least for 6 months and later you can decide if you drive or not
regards

Really ? I had a driver for 2 weeks then realised, however dangerous it is, I'm still a better driver than him.

Heh that's all fine, but is there any legal document where I can lean on?? And it would be excelent if this document were to be available on the internet :) am I asking too much?

We are talking about bulldozers on the construction site. Not driving trucks on the roads.