Mauritius life

Hi,

We are considering moving abroad and Mauritius is a possibility. Our concerns are with our children's welfare and education. How is education there? Is it safe for a family? Thank you.

Yes its safe here and education system is perfectly okay. There are some international schools here and some British I know already enrolled their kids into those schools. Believe me you and your family will like it here. Its a nice place and people here are very friendly.

hello one house, am frm Nigeria. Hoping to move to mauritius by march 2015. I wnt to knw how posible is to work and lives in mauritius for a foregner

Hi smith2015,
I have discussed the issue of raising kids up in Mauritius with a few of my friends, who've recently graduated from university and been doing some planning ahead. The bunch of us have studied in various countries like UK, Malaysia, Australia and we all wanted to raise our kids in Mauritius. At first we couldn't come up with reasons for this choice but when we thought harder, i'll tell you why:
Mauritius is a truly multi cultural country, kids coming from every background reunited at school. There are no prejudices, (often times, it is parents who create this stigma and are bad role models) they make friends with everybody and are a lot more curious and adventurous than kids from other countries.
Education in Mauritius is pretty good actually, our algebra syllabus is very good. Our world knowledge and awareness of history and current affairs however, is lacking.
Education is pretty much free up to secondary school. There are some PTA (Parents-Teachers-Association) fees to be paid each year and other details but not a fee for school per say. We follow the Cambridge O'Level and A'Levels in Secondary school, while in primary school we have our own system of CPE. Private schools have the international baccalaureate system, both in French and English.
Kids can get vaccinated in schools at times and there are sometimes vaccination campaigns going around the island. However you can go to a private GP and have your kid vaccinated there. Health care isn't free as in UK but it is a lot cheaper than in USA or Malaysia.
Overall, it is a safe place. If you read about crimes committed in Mauritius, they have mostly been perpetuated by family members or kins. Moreover, the crime sphere in Mauritius is pretty limited; as in, you don't hear about horrible crimes very often (very rarely to be honest) being perpetuated on unknown strangers.

Hello,

Thank you so much for the info. If it was just the 2 of us we would risk it, but twinnies are 5 and the youngest is 20mths old and we obviously have to think about them. We are really hopping to move, cannot stand the lovely British weather and we want the children to be able to live a life outdoors, but we need to be sure they'll have a safe environment to grow up as well. I am a speech and language therapist and my husband is a Telecoms analyst. We are still in a hunt for a job there. Any tips? Thank you again for replying. xx

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct