Requesting informationa please regarding Paute, Ecuador

:)   Hello everyone!  Hope you all are having a great day.

My friends and I are trying to et information about Paute as we think
we might want to go there.

I have read that the elevation is lower than Cuenca but honestly
I cannot find any information searching the net to tell me the elevation,
so that is one question.

I know I can't stay in Cuenca due to the high elevation and having asthma.

Allegedly Paute is a town of about 30,000 people and I have looked at
pictures.

Any information you all can provide would be most helpful in making
a decision.  My friends and I are interested in things like safety/crime
viable roads to travel to and from Puate to Cuenca or Guayaquil.
health care, grocery resources, cost of living, elevation of course
and etc.

Thanks you in advance for any input.

JasmineinNM wrote:

Paute...I have read that the elevation is lower than Cuenca but honestly I cannot find any information...

I know I can't stay in Cuenca due to the high elevation and having asthma.

Jasmine,

Websites stating Paute's elevation indicate it may not be much lower than Cuenca, so it may not be right for your health issues.

elevationmap.net:  Paute is at 7,137 feet above sea level

mountain project.com:  Paute is at 7,500'

There may be areas in the Rio Paute Basin outside of Paute itself with (for you) more livable elevation, but such information did not turn up in my search.

There are anecdotal comments on the Web saying that Paute feels warmer than Cuenca, but such reports do not seem to contain elevation figures for Paute.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you so much for your input.  What little I could find claims that it is warmer but
surely it can't be much warmer.  The info I read stated they grow mangos and bananas
there and it is subtropical.   

Thank you for finding out about the elevation.   Nope, that will still be to high up for me...
you are right.  (((((((((((((sigh))))))))))))))

I will have to keep checking out other towns.

Right now I live at 5,300 feet elevation and I manage pretty well but I had to come down
from Santa Fe, NM which is around 7000 feet up.

All the little complications do however need to be addressed otherwise a person ends up
making a couple of needless moves. 

Thank you again for your reply.  I do appreciate it.

JasmineinNM wrote:

I will have to keep checking out other towns.

Right now I live at 5,300 feet elevation and I manage pretty well but I  had to come down from Santa Fe, NM, which is around 7,000 feet up.

Jasmine,

If you want to have access to Expat-oriented activities but the highlands altitudes are problematic, you might want to consider the Pacific coastal cities of Ecuador.

If you choose wisely, you might discover -- as others have -- that you can find a place with year-round cooling breeses.   One recent poster said he was living without air conditioning on a coastal cliff.

The individual coast towns are unique in their micro-climates and their ambiance.  For example:  touristy, party-oriented, surfer-friendly, fishing village.

Some Expat-favored places on the coast are Salinas (crowded in tourist season) and Bahia de Caraques.

Besides the beaches, the coast offers something else that we lack here in highlands cities such as Quito -- outdoor swimming pools.

If the EC coast might be of interest, just type in "coast" or "coastal living" in the Search Expat.com box at the top of this page, then click on the search icon to the right, and you'll be able to navigate to the coastal posts of Expat.com Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito