Looking for a job in Norway

Hey everyone!

I'm a 24 year old guy who is learning Norwegian and I have 3+ years of work experience in the IT/Computer area. I've really liked Norway since I was a teenager and have recently seriously started thinking about moving there. I think getting a job in the IT sector is my way in but I really have no idea how to even start with this.

I've been looking for other people who have done the same to get some advice or to see if they could share some of their experiences with me. Looking forward to meeting you!

@ RodEsp

If you google 'job search in Norway' a lot of helpful info comes up. The most comprehensive websites for jobs are: finn.no, nav.no  (most agencies like adecco, manpower etc. post also via finn.no).
Key question is: do you want to prioritise location or job? Depending on that, you have to build your strategy.  There is always a demand for qualified staff, but it varies from place to place, bigger cities generally offering more opportunities. If you do not have a EU passport, you need to apply at UDI for a visa.  Their website explains the process and requirements. In simple terms you need first a job, than apply for visa, wait for answer and then start your adventure.  There are also other options but this is the most straight forward one. Your relevant embassy in Norway might also be able to help.
Good Luck!

@no_clue

Thanks for the info! So, you're saying that I need a job in Norway BEFORE I can apply for the visa? Does that mean that the company must be willing to hire me before I can actually go work in their offices?
UDI says that I can't hand in a visa application from within Norway, only from abroad.

As far as location or job, I mostly just want to be in Norway in general. But I'm assuming that I'll most likely be somewhere in Oslo, Bergen, or Trondheim since that's probably where the most IT related jobs are. If so, I'd like to be close to the city center.

Thanks again!

@RodEsp

I'm not an immigration expert, but this is the way all of my non-EU friends did it. I really recommend to contact your embassy in Norway, since some countries have special agreements and they should be able to advise you correctly.
About the conversion of a tourist visa into a work visa while in Norway- I don't know, but I think there were other threads about this subject before. I recommend to dig a little in the visa section of the forum. Personally, I would first secure a job and then apply for the visa (this can take a couple of month until approved) .  Norway is an expensive place to live and you need an income to sustain your stay here.

@no_clue

Got it! Time to start digging.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Hi RodEsp,

i have created a new thread with your posts on the Norway forum for more visibility and interaction.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

:cheers: hiii....everybody.
           I want to part time job in Norway.
So,it is easily available in 2weeks¿????

Hi,

With the many posts in different forums that i have read I can say at this point you have two options:

Your first option is if you will be able to find a concrete job offer from an employer that will issue you a contract and documentation that you can use for your application to get a visa to work here. You may find an employer through patience in searching online or if you know someone who is inside Norway who can do that searching for you.

The second is what most people do which is the job seeker visa or in other countries that doesn't have this visa they use the 3 months tourist visa (if you are those lucky ones from countries that doesn't need visa then this is easier for you), maximizing the given days to hunt for jobs while inside Norway. This might be a good option since it will be convenient to the companies that requests for interviews.

Just keep in mind one of the major factors in these establishments when hiring is the language whether applying inside or from the outside. But since you said you are already studying the language I'm sure in the right time after some patience you will be able to find a job in the field that you like.

stephy25 wrote:

The second is what most people do which is the job seeker visa

pretty sure this is only applicable to people who studied in Norway, as this page details:

http://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/work … b-seekers/

yes you are right, sorry for not emphasizing the "OR" that  part for countries that doesnt have this visa they opt to go for the tourist visa to look for employers then go back to their countries to process their papers and application.

i guess this applicable to anyone unlike the job seeker visa, provided of course they have the budget and are willing to take a risk with the expenses without any assurance of finding a job.

You would be far better off learning Spanish, Mandarin or Portuguese since Norwegian is needed to speak in a TINY fraction of jobs available to an expat. Portuguese brings in bits of Africa and Brazil. Definitely wait until you have a firm offer of a job. If your skills are worth anything in Norway, you should at least be able to get an interview if you're not head hunted or offered a job. Against you, you have no network of friends of contacts or experience in Norway. Even if you speak Norwegian, you still need to be taught to be Norwegian .. everything every Norwegian knows, you have to learn. Your Norwegian will have to be perfect. They won't hold meetings in English just for you.

JonInNorway wrote:

.... They won't hold meetings in English just for you.

I just would like to comment on that, because meetings are an extremely important part of Norwegian work culture:

Sitting in a meeting and not understanding the details is not only frustrating but can make you look like a complete moron.  My Norwegian was o.k. when I started working (1 year course at university) but once my colleagues moved from 'bokmål' to nynorsk or any of their various accents, I was often lost.  Surprisingly, when I asked my colleague about the details afterwards he often answered that he did not understand either....
Reading Norwegian is the easiest part, speaking the next, but understanding can be truly challenging. If you chose Norway as a country, get prepared.

For skilled IT workers they do meetings on skype. And some companies have english as the main language since they have branches in different nations.