Visas

I have lived in Vietnam for a few years but now the government is refusing to extend Visas. I have been to Cambodia and liked it, so if it is not too difficult to reside (am retired) in Cmbodia I will try it. I expect there will be thousands of expats trying to find another place to live outside of Vietnam.

Whats the story with the Vietnam visas? This is the first I've heard of what you said.

You can get an Ordinary (business) Visa on arrival to Cambodia for $35, and then extend it for 12 months (multi-entry) for appx $285. This visa can be extended indefinitely.

Note: Currently the government are beginning to crack down on work permits which may effect the ease of obtaining and/or renewing Ordinary visas in the future, but for now its business as usual.

Hi,
also interested to hear what is going on with Vietnamese visa?

New immigration regulations went into effect in Vietnam 1 January 2015. No one, including the big visa on arrival and travel companies, know what these new regulation mean. In the past I could get a 3-month visa on arrival and extend it once for a total of around US120. Now they are saying I can only get one month visa, no extension, for US 200.

Many people who have lived here a long time think it will take a few months to sort the new regulations out and edit them. Who knows for sure.

The country will lose a lot of money if all the folks on the three month visa leave. Why stay here when I can do the visa cheaper and with less grief in Thailand and Cambodia. Once people leave they will not come back.

There has been a lot of chatter about the new Vietnamese Visa program and the consensus is we'll have to wait for a couple of months and see what comes about. There are many people needing extensions this month so we will soon get a plethora of anecdotes. Of course in Vietnam the bureaucrats aren't well educated or in touch with the world in general so who knows what will come of this. The movers and shakers are probably well intentioned but don't understand "consensus" or market research. We, the people who have adopted Vietnam have high hopes some sort of sanity will prevail. The other thing is many businesses make good money from handling Visas and I suspect they will pressure the government not to harrass the current expat population. Just imagine how much easier things could be if the government "grandfathered" for those of us here a long time.

Gday W

1Helio wrote:

Hi,
also interested to hear what is going on with Vietnamese visa?

check out the https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434491 link there are other threads but not specific to tourists

Ah, that might explain why Sihanoukville consulate messed up with issuing Vietnam tourist visas for my parents - they don't know their own rules yet!

Vietnam travellers be advised: better double check you get the correct visa category!