Is it easy to get a job

Hi..I am Anthony frm Goa,India...i am trying to com to Norway on portuguese passport...i m an electrician...is it easy to get a job there...Regards

Hi Anthonydias,

I created a new topic on the Norway forum for better interaction.

May be a longer introduction and more details about the kind of information about the information you are looking for.

Regards,

David.

@ Anthonydias
your chances are best if:

- you are highly qualified in a certain field
- you speak Norwegian

A search on finn.no or at nav.no give you a good idea about the job market and what employers are looking for.  Most jobs require Norwegian language skills, but employers are willing to accept less or no Norwegian if you are highly qualified or your profession is in high demand. In this case a very good English is necessary.

@no_clue

I am a qualified Electrian with over 18 yrs of experience..my English is also Good...

@ Anthonydias

you have to apply to get your qualification as electrician approved by the dsb.no. If you look on their English version website you can find the details under 'national electrical safety authority'. All electrcians from outside Norway who want to have their qualifications recognized have to do that. I would start there. You might be able to find a job without this approval, but your chances (and salary) will increase once you are officially recognized. I'm not familiar with jobs in this field but it might help to contact potential employers (to be found via finn.no) and ask them. If they are desperate for someone they might hire you while you work on your official recognition. But as I said, I don't know much about the job market for electricians. Contacting dsb and potential employers would be my first step....

Is not any easy thing to get a job in Norway.

I don't mean to be negative or rude but, there are so many thousands without job, norwegians and foreigners, educated or not. You have no guaranty to get a job just because a paper from your country says you are good at something, in Norway people get the job they can, not the job they want or dream to had.

The more people comes to get a job, the less and less chamces people already here have, there are people with 3 years trying to get a job, I have 2.

Is any easy, and if you don't speak norwegian, forget it... English is just a basic language to resolve small situations, but definitely not any help to get a job at all.
Norway is somply not able to create as much job opportunities, as people comes and comes month by month in all kind of categories to stay, dreaming that here is the kind of American dream.

Don't fool yourself, and yes, please check "finn.com" and "NAV"; 80% of the jobs are for people with relationships; Friends, family, recommendations, ect. The other 20% spears in the net and as you can see, you must be really good at what you're and have a document that proves it, and live around, because the jobs are not around the corner and you are one of thousands looking at those pages with 20 job posts in your community and not all for what you qualify.

So if you gonna try, be good with the language, don't get exited with nice but false illustrations, get a car fast, get a driving license, and enough money to hard months in the best case.

If you're really sure on what you're doing and are strong to face a cold reality go for it.