Travelling to Belize as a Single woman...how safe is it?

Just wondering how safe it is travelling solo to Ambergris Caye?  Thanks

Hello kenr and welcome to Expat.com

Hope that some members who lives presently there will be able to confirm you the safety in Belize real soon.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

You can not drive to Ambergis Caye because it is a island. You have to fly there or take a boat shuttle.

Hi,

I go to Ambergris Caye each year as a solo female traveler and have never had any problems at all. True that you either fly from Belize City Int. Airport or you can take the water taxi over to San Pedro. Personally I fly over since it's only a 15 min flight and doesn't cost much more than the water taxi + the taxi from the airport to the water taxi costs. I just find the flight to be a better option and a lot more comfortable. As far as San Pedro is concerned, the people are very friendly and the hotels and resorts in town are your best option if you want to be able to walk around town.

Have fun!

Texblondi

Hi! I went on my own for 4 months in 2012. I felt safe during the day. But I never went out past 10pm by myself at night. You rent golf carts there to get around which is really fun. Coming back from restaurants or the bars which is pretty much all there is to do at night in Ambergris, feels like you need to be aware, but not scared, for the most part. The biggest threat are the island guys, many who come from the mainland, preying on single women from the US. They don't over insist, just make it clear you are not interested and they leave you alone. Apparently there are a lot of women who do look for that attention which makes it a lucrative opportunity for these mainland boys. It's a 3rd world country, so people are trying to survive. Once you establish your boundaries, the word seems to get out. I had no problem finding friends in Ambergris, so if you can, come home with them to be really safe. Heck, bad things happen late at night in the US if you aren't cautious. But the best of Ambergris is in the daytime-enjoy the water!

Hello MissGail,

I read your other post about not liking Belize as a place you would enjoy spending the rest of your life in. Mind if I ask what didnt you like? I saw your interests hobbies ect... and thought this is somewhat like mine. I haven't been yet but thouht I would ask you to share what you didn't like. Thanks, Joe

Hi Kenr,

I'm going the first week of May and connecting through Houston.  I'm a retiring govt law enforcement guy, traveling to San Pedro solo. 

Rob

Ambergis Caye, really is not representative of the rest of Belize.   I would not recommend a woman travel alone here, unless she has previous experience traveling alone in a 3rd world country.    If you have the physical appearance to look like a Belizean, dark hair and eyes, tan skin, traveling alone during the day may work.  After dark I would not chance it.   Also, the culture of Belizean men does not respect women at all.  Rape,  domestic violence, drunkenness and physical abuse of women is common.      Go to San Pedro or Caye Caulker, enjoy your days, stay out of the bars at night when you are not accompanied and stay in a loging with security doors and windows, plus a guard.

mzcalifornia wrote:

Ambergis Caye, really is not representative of the rest of Belize.   I would not recommend a woman travel alone here, unless she has previous experience traveling alone in a 3rd world country.    If you have the physical appearance to look like a Belizean, dark hair and eyes, tan skin, traveling alone during the day may work.  After dark I would not chance it.   Also, the culture of Belizean men does not respect women at all.  Rape,  domestic violence, drunkenness and physical abuse of women is common.      Go to San Pedro or Caye Caulker, enjoy your days, stay out of the bars at night when you are not accompanied and stay in a loging with security doors and windows, plus a guard.

I agree --  was  just  there  for  6  weeks!

I will be going to Belize for my 5th year in a row next week as a lone female traveler. I have traveled by boat, plane, and bus from Belize Int'l airport to Corazal, Orange Walk, Sarteneja, and San Pedro. There is no way I look remotely like a native, but have not had any problems with anyone in that country.

If a white as snow woman can take the bus from Belize City to Corazal without being bothered, I would say that you are pretty safe. It helps if you know what you want and where you are going. Just like in the cities here is the states, walk with a purpose, don't wander around looking like a victim and you will not be treated as one.

Now, for safety sake I have been warned by natives that it is not safe in Belize City at night. Whether you are female or male. Just being a tourist works. They do have a couple gangs in the city, however, if you stay in the designated areas for tourists they are patrolled by "tourist police" and will keep an eye on you.

Although it has not changed my mind about relocating to Belize, excluding the fact that I own property there, I do have some safety concerns after the murder of 3 people just outside of Belmopan this month.
2 American nationals were murdered on their property in Teakettle with robbery as the presumed motive, and a young Belizean woman was shot while in her car at a stop sign near Camalote/Roaring Creek, thought to be an incidental victim. Both of these events happened between the 14th and 19th of May 2015, according to  the Belizean newspaper Amandala. I haven't seen many murders reported in the Cayo district in the past, and these close to the capital are concerning to me. Belize City is a more common area for crimes like these, but it goes to show, you should be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution wherever you are in the country.

I am so sorry you think that way about Belizean men. Bare in mind those that does that are low life's thugs. we are not like that. we love and respect all women, everyone, it don't matter, we are use to see white people here in our country, they are called AMISH. I am sorry about your experience about Belizean me. I am sure you are one in a million . I am sorry for your experience.