How long can you use a UK driving Licence in Hungary

I have been living in Hungary since May 2014 and drive using my UK driving Licence. Currently the address shows an old UK address and phoned DVLC In UK and they said they can't change to a Hungarian address.

Would obviously like to avoid changing Licence to Hungarian Licence as understand it would be very time consuming, expensive and difficult as only speak basic Hungarian.

Any idea if I can just remain on current Licence

Thanks

Marc

Yes. I have lived here for nine years, on and off since the nineties, and have never been asked for anything else. You do need to carry a passport with you and your 'lakcím' card, giving the Hungarian address you are registered at. Remember that the highway police do not need a reason to stop you. When you return to the UK you need to update your address in the UK (using a relative's address). Also make sure your next of kin details are in your passport, which you also need when hiring a car.

marcbloom wrote:

Any idea if I can just remain on current Licence

My 2cts worth:

If you have relatives (like parents) who cooperate, then just put that address to satisfy DVLA.

However, if you are registered as a resident, then you could end up in difficulties if your driving license address/details does not match cross referenced details held as passport number held by the HU authorities. In particular, if you are driving a foreign car, then the police may ask you for your passport.  They can do remote checks at the roadside - key index between data is the passport number/ID card.  Residents are not supposed to drive foreign registered cars more than 30 days a year and need permission every day (signed paper from the owner each day). Obviously a nuisance but it's not that common to be stopped by the police.

In theory, you've got 6 months before you have to change it which is perfectly normal in the EU.  It should cost nothing to change it but you need a medical stamp every 10 years. If you are working here, then you probably don't have many options other than to change it.  You would not be in an unusual position as many foreigners have to do it.

If you have two passports, you can use one as the local one for registration and keep the other one as foreign.  It's not unusual to find that going on with dual nationals around here.

Not that I advocate any of the above as a methodology for avoiding ones responsibilties....

I would look up the official information about this subject on line before giving advice on a serious subject like this.
In any case, you must pass a health exam in Hungary every 2 years not ever 10 years.
The good thing is if you do pass the exam in Hungary it is good for a lifetime. My husband took his Hu exam's in 1968 and they are still good as long as he passes the health exam.
he has 11 endorsements on his paperwork too, he could be driving a bus or big rig if he so wanted to.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....In any case, you must pass a health exam in Hungary every 2 years not ever 10 years

I think if he's over 70 and/or has endorsements to drive buses or large trucks, it could well be every 2 years but for ordinary cars, it's 10 years.

Have a look on google. This is what I found for you...
justlanded.com/english/Hungary/Hungary-Guide/Travel-Leisure/Importing-a-car

That is interesting. My husband has to get his health certificate every 2 years even though he only drives a family car. Guess all those endorsements are the reason why.
He re started his Hu driving paperwork when he was 60, now he is 67.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

That is interesting. My husband has to get his health certificate every 2 years even though he only drives a family car. Guess all those endorsements are the reason why.
He re started his Hu driving paperwork when he was 60, now he is 67.

Yes, that'll be the case.  It's not the same as other EU countries. For example, only over 70s need medical checks in the UK. There's no even a sight test at any point since passing the driving test.  The only 10 year obligation is to change your photograph to keep your appearance up to date.  Even then, they can use (automatically) your passport photo.

Now in Nevada they are giving out 10 year papers for driving, I made sure I got my eye test and new picture taken last year when I was home. I don't drive at all in Hungary but it's nice to know how to in case of an emergency.
My husband and I are always together in the car and it is no fun at all to have him as a passenger!
My friend is moving to Budapest next year to retire from the UK. She plans on using her daughters UK address for driving in Hungary. She had a couple of close calls in Budapest so I think she is only going to keep her car in her country home for shopping.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

...She had a couple of close calls in Budapest so I think she is only going to keep her car in her country home for shopping.

Best to not have any dents and scratches repaired. Then the other drivers will keep away if their cars are better than yours.  Driving standards here are atrocious.  The worst thing is that give way to the right stupidity.  That must kill a lot of people.

Same thing in the US, if your driving a clunker then people stay away from you.
Used to be really hard to pass the driving exams in Hungary and all over in Europe.
My husband took a course in the late 1960's when not many people in Hungary knew how to drive and even fewer could afford a car.
He worked full time, 10 hours a day as a machinist but on his free time took the driving course and paid at that time allot of money for it.
Learned how to drive every.
thing from Bus, semi-truck, motorbike passenger van etc.The course was over 6 months long.
Had to take an oral exam in front of a board of several men asking different questions.
First time he did not pass because he missed ONE question. It was a trick question of how many can be in a type of van, he said 9 but he forgot to include himself to make it 10. he also had to road test every style of veheicle with an instructor.
He freaks when he drives seeing how lame some people are when driving. He always says they must have an angel sitting on their shoulder because they are lucky to not crash.
If the tests were even half as hard as they used to be the streets would be free of idiot drivers.
I think I am an ok driver, been driving for 42 years everywhere, Calif. cross country, Hawaii in the pouring rain but even I am not ready for the crazy signs and tight roads of Budapest. Much easier to sit and ride shotgun.