Will my salary be enough for living in Budapest?

Hello,

So, I have this job opportunity in Budapest, and they are offering me a salary of 400 Euros.

Do You think it's enough?

I would have to pay for my accommodation (I will certainly share), bills, meals, transport.

So, any experiences or advice?

Hello Jovan_8 and welcome to Expat.com

While waiting for members to give you some advices, I invite you to browse through our forum section Cost of Living in Budapest so as to be able to get a good comparison of your salary offer with those of other members.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

400 EUR, at current rates, is about 125000Ft.
Is this a monthly salary, net (netto) or gross (brutto)?  If brutto, this site:
fizetesek.hu/berkalkulator
gives netto of 78000Ft.

Whether brutto or netto, I think this is very low, and would be difficult to live on in Bp.  Many Hungarians are paid this kind of salary, and manage to survive.  I can only say I admire them and don't know how they do it (though some people manage by living for low rent or rent-free thanks to their family or friends).

Various things contribute to this:

- The property rental market in Bp is limited compared to other places, and prices at the low end are very much influenced by foreign students (some of whom willingly pay 250-350EUR for a room in a shared flat)
- Although some things in Hungary are very cheap (e.g. public transport, some services), many essentials are really not that much cheaper than in Western Europe.  It's not a cheap place to live, but the general pattern of Hungarian salaries does _not_ reflect this: they're far too low for the cost of living in Hungary.
- There are things that inevitably cost more if you're not from here, at least initially. You won't know where the best deals are for a while; and for example a mobile phone is more expensive when using a pay as you go account.

Some examples:
a. BKK public transport ticket for one month (cheapest way to pay for it): 10000Ft
b. Mobile phone topup: 5000Ft (I hardly use my phone, and have to do this at least 2 times a month)
c. Supermarket shop for food for one person for approx. 3 days: 2000Ft

My partner and I budgeted 120000 between us (60000 per person) per month, after all rent and bills, and found it pretty difficult.

Good luck!

Hey, Thank You so much for the reply. I know that it is going to be a little tough getting by, but with discipline maybe I will manage. I would probably have to work over time :))

Thanks once again!

Jovan_8 wrote:

I would probably have to work over time

Do ask your employer if they offer overtime. It is less common in Hungary than in other countries. It varies between employers, but it is not always an option the employer may provide.

Hey!

400 Euro in Budapest is okey if you dont need to pay accomodation (rental of a room, flat etc). otherwise its enough to starve to death! I mean it! Its about 125.000 Huf, monthly BKK ticket is 9.500 Huf, renting a room (if you dont wanna live in a shithole) is at least 50.000 but rather more! So not the best offer ever!

Cheers,

orsi

hope this will help: http://bit.ly/1C2onOE

I agree with the first responder. Most people earning this amount survive, but certainly don't live well. They will either live with family to make their salary go farther or they will work a second job. Budapest is not as economical as it was 10 or even 5 years ago.