International Licence--can use now?

Previously, and i cant remember in which thread, i noted that VN was modifying the licence law to ALLOW the International Licence for cars and bikes, no more need for applying for a new licence, starting Dec 1st. Does anyone know if it actually came into effect and its off and running?

I thought they were using the International licence to issue local licences without the bullsh*t of sworn affidavits and confirmation from embassies/consulates.

As ever, VN laws and regulations are confusing, especially since the five super city-provinces can wrote.adapt national laws.

yes I read an article (online) that the International drivers license will be recognised by Vietnam starting 2015. It cost me $75 US a few years ago to get an agent to get a local licence conversion (without test) so probably cheaper to just use the International drivers license now. If you're riding a scoot you'll need to have the relevant license in your home country (which transfers to the international license) to be covered by insurance.

I posted the government link about this in another thread and i cant find it now. Its there but there are many bike and car links to look through. Anyway, VN was joining the other countries which use the IDP and now there would be no need for anything except carrying the licence in your pocket with your passport.

I posted that AAA in USA and one other entity in Europe are authorized to give the IDP. Dont use fake agents and such which issue IDP straight from online sites. Its all fake.

From Wiki:
Fraudulent IDP[edit]
In the United States, the Department of State has authorized two private entities, the American Automobile Association and the National Automobile Club (http://www.thenac.com) as entities in the United States to issue IDPs. They advise against purchasing similarly named documents from unauthorized outlets, as those have no legal standing.[14]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati … ing_Permit

I got mine in USA and it cost $15 + 7 for a photo and its good for a year. I have a method of renewal. AAA uses the info on the State DL as the basis for issuing the IL so if you are approved for bikes, cars, buses, trains, spaceships, whatever the IDP reflects that.

The reason for this post was to confirm the use of the IDP in VN. If anyone has actually tested it on a cop please post!

@Cvco: maybe this post:

Now Im not sure which thread carried the first NEW story about coming changes starting Dec 1 but it appears to have been seriously misquoted, according to this story:

http://autonet.com.vn/en/news/201410/ke … -nghi-huu/

1) according to this article, licences do NOT end on retirement age. VN is adopting a similar system to USA in which people (foreigners and viet kieu) may have to TEST for new licences starting at retirement age.
2) Article says you **CAN** use your International Licence, no need to get a VN licence. But it must be the real kind like AAA from USA, the licence system adopted via the Vienna Convention of 1968. Furthermore, if there are differences in VN and IL traffic law, IL will prevail. (Of course IL will say its your responsibility to follow local traffic rules so the point is moot).

Ive maintained my AAA-IL all along as its accepted in Malaysia so im set to go in VN.  But i'll give a stern warning to people, do NOT buy a licence off the net, they are NOT legal. To my knowledge there are only two organizations in the world qualified to give the Vienna Convention licence, one is in Europe and the other is AAA in USA.

You will need a license no matter if it's just a day. Getting into an accident and not having a license you are automatically at fault.

In Canada to get IDP you have to go to CAA or AMA in Alberta. Both same organization. Is it same as AAA? It's $35.

I'd probably print of the new law and show the police if they don't know it yet.

Shalan, just use common sense, if you were a cop in your own country what would you do to a person you stopped who didnt have a licence? It wouldnt be good right? Asia is no different and expats need to stop thinking Asia is a free for all party. Definitely its not. If anything cops in Asia would almost prefer to catch an expat to make an example.

Yes ngatt thats the post. Thanks.

Any Automobil Club in Europe can issue a international driver licence (from your home  country) if you show your national licence and not only 2 Organisation WW!

ngattt wrote:

@Cvco: maybe this post:

Now Im not sure which thread carried the first NEW story about coming changes starting Dec 1 but it appears to have been seriously misquoted, according to this story:

http://autonet.com.vn/en/news/201410/ke … -nghi-huu/

1) according to this article, licences do NOT end on retirement age. VN is adopting a similar system to USA in which people (foreigners and viet kieu) may have to TEST for new licences starting at retirement age.
2) Article says you **CAN** use your International Licence, no need to get a VN licence. But it must be the real kind like AAA from USA, the licence system adopted via the Vienna Convention of 1968. Furthermore, if there are differences in VN and IL traffic law, IL will prevail. (Of course IL will say its your responsibility to follow local traffic rules so the point is moot).

Ive maintained my AAA-IL all along as its accepted in Malaysia so im set to go in VN.  But i'll give a stern warning to people, do NOT buy a licence off the net, they are NOT legal. To my knowledge there are only two organizations in the world qualified to give the Vienna Convention licence, one is in Europe and the other is AAA in USA.

cvco wrote:

Shalan, just use common sense, if you were a cop in your own country what would you do to a person you stopped who didnt have a licence? It wouldnt be good right? Asia is no different and expats need to stop thinking Asia is a free for all party. Definitely its not. If anything cops in Asia would almost prefer to catch an expat to make an example.

Well Viet Nam did create this as a problem, seeing as they didn't recognise international licenses before.

Colin I know what you mean but they always had a means which is to get a licence! At least VN has had a method, it could be worse and they could say you have to be a citizen to drive.

What I was getting at is that when a foreigner thinks is ok not to bother with a licence and then gets in a wreck or breaks the law the government chatter starts to "just ban foreigners."

The whole premise of the IDP is to me a way to show some respect for the country as a guest. In the years in Malaysia cops have always appreciated that youve got something, vs. "i dont care about you, your stupid country or your stupid laws. Screw you."  Thats the attitude I often see and the result comes down on everyone.

January 2015 Canberra Australia... The International Drivers Licence issuing body here - NRMA, the National Road Motorist Association, will NOT even issue an IDL for people traveling to Vietnam as they are NOt valid in that country.  IE: they know that Vietnam authorities do not recognize/accept them as they only recognize Vietnamese licenses. In fact, there is no use even carrying your own Australian Licence as the local VN police cannot read it ... Hence the use of IDL in (other) foreign NON ENGLISH SPEKING countries - so the authorities can understand you better. They are not needed for Australians going to drive in English speaking countries. And remember that an IDL isued in Australia is not issued by a government body.
Have been stopped in Vung Tau on a scooter b police; instant fine paid to police with no ticket or receipt. But generally they leave the foreigners alone and hit the locals with no safety [?] helmet on.
Of course, if you as a foreigner are in an accident you are considered to be at fault anyway. The view is taken that if you were not there, the accident would no have happened. Logical.

The laws in Vietnam are changing to accept the IDL.

I'm guessing some centers that distribute IDL haven't been told by Vietnam. Nevertheless shouldn't they process your IDL application regardless which country it is for. You can say it is for Canada and still be able to use your IDL in Vietnam. I'm just guessing here as I've never had an IDL but it is called an International license for a reason.

And if you want to prove them wrong print out Vietnam's new law accepting IDL or point them to some links.

Ive been using the IDP since I dont know when, 30 years? 1970? Anyway never once was asked where I would be using it, its not up to the authority to decide anyway. In fact, once you pay the fee they couldnt care less if you ever even use it so I cant understand how AU would even bring it up.

Anyway the thread is about the NEW LAW which permits the IDP in Vietnam, starting 1 Dec according to the original links here and Im still hoping to hear from any poster who is using one and what happened when they were stopped by the cops.

As I have continued to use mine in Malaysia for 15 years and stopped numerous times, they do not and cannot force a tourist to take a local licence nor use the IDP as a template for issuing a local licence. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Vietnam can and may say that people with workpasses, married, residence, must take a local licence (and in fact the IDP is supposedly only intended for short term travel in the countries that accept them) but thats ANOTHER story or problem, nothing to do with this thread or the IDP itself.

In reality, the IDP can get you along for years as it has for me. IF in Vietnam they make an enforced rule for the cop to check your residency status under the possible rule of needing a local licence if you are married/working locally, perhaps they would balk at the IDP and give you a week or something to get a local licence, of they may issue a ticket anyway. I dont know what a local cop would do, maybe nothing at all and the IDP at least is showing you did get licenced before you rode/drove.

Point is, lets see what they do, thats why the thread.

Lets hope they don't do what they have done with license transfers,it lasts only as long as your visa. Each time you have to renew your visa,which as of 1st Jan has become so much harder, you also have to renew your drivers license,luckily I got a VN license years ago before the changes came into effect.

colinoscapee wrote:

Lets hope they don't do what they have done with license transfers,it lasts only as long as your visa. Each time you have to renew your visa,which as of 1st Jan has become so much harder, you also have to renew your drivers license,luckily I got a VN license years ago before the changes came into effect.

Right, understood. I think thats detailed in the same link about the IDP. But remember its the Vienna and Geneva Convention that governs the IDP. They can do whatever they like with their own licence but if people (tourists anyway) have trouble with the IDP they have a higher body to complain to. When I read about the forced renewal of the local licence with visa expirations, i plain gave up. What, 3-4 times a year re-apply for a local licence? Forget it. Imagine how my faced changed when I read about the coming IDP.

Next it would be nice if they made it easy for expats to have a vehicle in their own name,save a lot of unecessary paperwork and time.

colinoscapee wrote:

Next it would be nice if they made it easy for expats to have a vehicle in their own name,save a lot of unecessary paperwork and time.

I truly dont understand that. In Malaysia I have bought several times cars and bikes and you just walk in and walk out with YOUR vehicle and YOUR paperwork. And being a tourist is just fine for ownership too.

WHY do i always compare Malaysia in a Vietnam thread? Because its all ASEAN with largely uniform rules, especially about immigration. So if there is ownership in one country, where is the ownership in the other? Its supposed to be there and I cannot understand the justification for otherwise, even on a bad day. I dont get it.

Im very curious on this issue, has anyone ever approached the Peoples Committee and asked for a rule change? There must be some part of them that thinks expats just dont care one way or the other so they leave things as they are. WIth Vietnam changing everyday, probably this will change too and why not push it?

Maybe its time for an Expat Committee to be formed to discuss all the situations with the government.

It's has been tried before with visas and tourism, the government doesn't like change.

Guys, for a start, we are in a communist country. if we keep comparing the judicial system, it will only raise the blood level and nothing else. We choose to be here in Vietnam (unless you are forced to), so try to accept the rules and way of living. I'm sure there are more pros than cons, that is why we are still here.

Every country has their own rules. Though there is a Geneva, not every country has to abide by it. Furthermore, here in Vietnam, for a policy to water-down to the men in boots, I reckon it will take a "longer than expected time" before they know what is going on.

I've been to Russia, China, Vietnam, Cambodia. For the IDP, as I was told by the authorities then, all communist countries do not recognize it. However, I stand to be corrected.

Personally, if I were to be on the roads, I would approach the Transport Ministry for an official document and keep it in the vehicle as an evidence to proof when a traffic cop debates on the IDP issue. Having said this, I would bet that 500k VND will be the eventual "license" you will need.

Well to be honest, it's a very simple thing that should of changed when tourist numbers became high. It's not like it's a total overhaul of the system in Viet Nam, just a simple IDP.

Pang, I understand you but lets be clear, too. Once having agreed to use the IDP then it IS used. Lets say all bets are off in a communist country, even though Vietnam was a signer to the Vienna Convention 1968 which allowed the IDP. Lets say they ignored that part. But now, having installed it, then it IS used, and ive certainly never heard of any country dismissing the IDP after having installed it. I have NO IDEA what Vietnams problem has been since 1968 but I will suspect a higher body has pressured them to uphold their own signing, not the least would have been the US which has recently made trade agreements with the country.

As for filtering down of information, I have no idea, maybe its wise for IDP holders to print out the government site link info about this and carry it with the licence. And what about renting bikes, would a little rental shop also know the holder doesnt need a local licence? How does news of new rules like this filter out around the country--TV news? Repeated newspaper articles? Internal letters and memos? Osmosis?

Still can't get issued an IDP from RACV in Australia for Vietnam as they haven't been informed of this change although its clearly stated across numerous websites.

Regardless of what links you supply they won't issue one for that country until they have been officially informed but not sure how that works nor did the customer service rep.

Still can't get issued an IDP from RACV in Australia for Vietnam as they haven't been informed of this change although its clearly stated across numerous websites.

Regardless of what links you supply they won't issue one for that country until they have been officially informed but not sure how that works nor did the customer service rep.

Iwonder wrote:

This is making no sense at all. IDPs are not issued for ANY particular countries, they are just issued, period. If they must ask you, say you are going to USA and leave it at that. Im looking at my IDP this moment and there is no country mentioned anywhere on it, like "only valid for Vietnam," etc. Furthermore, even using their own reckoning, the IDP also does not say "valid anywhere except communist countries, including Vietnam." In other words, as long as you meet the guidelines of its issuance, like already having a local AU licence or whatever guideline they use, they must issue the IDP, there is no choice about it.

Whenever I have gotten an IDP, they ask about trips while they are preparing the IDP:
So where ya off to?
Im going to Asia, then India, then finish in Europe, i guess i'll be gone a year or so.
Wow, what a great trip, wish i could do that! Heres your licence, stay safe and i wish you a really great trip!

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

It is an international license used in many countries.  No country will issue you a license for a specific country. You would do that at the local level in that specific country.

It is like saying OK I got the IDP that can be used in Vietnam. I also plan to head over to Thailand so I will need another IDP to be used in Thailand. Oh and I will also stop by India and a bunch of European countries so can you issue me additional IDP for each of those countries?

See how absurd that sounds?

Maybe Iwonder said he was going to Viet Nam, the RACV said VN doesn't recognise IDP,that sounds more like it.

Peter from Canberra... Yes individual IDLs do sound silly, but my original input a few days back re the subject was that the NRMA - issuing body here- said there is no point having one if you intend to use it in VN only. Sure, get one for tripping about internationally, but the wArning was that authorities in VN will not recognize it.  So, for VN holiday only, no use. And Travel Insurance issued here for use in VN has all kinds of "oh, no ... Not covered without approved Licence..." That means a VN Licence issues there.

barlings211 wrote:

Peter from Canberra... Yes individual IDLs do sound silly, but my original input a few days back re the subject was that the NRMA - issuing body here- said there is no point having one if you intend to use it in VN only. Sure, get one for tripping about internationally, but the wArning was that authorities in VN will not recognize it.  So, for VN holiday only, no use. And Travel Insurance issued here for use in VN has all kinds of "oh, no ... Not covered without approved Licence..." That means a VN Licence issues there.

OMG its so twisted around i cant hardly believe it.
1) Its NOT up to anyone how and where you use your IDP. YOU decide that, including, amazingly, that you choose to buy one and never go anywhere! Just hang it on your wall!
2) Being a tourist in any IDP country ****IS*** the reason to get one. What kind of crazy clerk says there is no point if you are only going to Vietnam and no where else?!?!? Huh?????
3) Tell them, yeah i accept your bloody warnings now give me the fkng licence you twit!!

cvco wrote:

Pang, I understand you but lets be clear, too. Once having agreed to use the IDP then it IS used. Lets say all bets are off in a communist country, even though Vietnam was a signer to the Vienna Convention 1968 which allowed the IDP. Lets say they ignored that part. But now, having installed it, then it IS used, and ive certainly never heard of any country dismissing the IDP after having installed it. I have NO IDEA what Vietnams problem has been since 1968 but I will suspect a higher body has pressured them to uphold their own signing, not the least would have been the US which has recently made trade agreements with the country.

As for filtering down of information, I have no idea, maybe its wise for IDP holders to print out the government site link info about this and carry it with the licence. And what about renting bikes, would a little rental shop also know the holder doesnt need a local licence? How does news of new rules like this filter out around the country--TV news? Repeated newspaper articles? Internal letters and memos? Osmosis?

I can understand your frustration but it will be wise for us to have social responsibility and not comment on politics in public forums.

If you are already here in Vietnam, you will know the ground rules are clear and the people at large accept the way it is. How is it possible for the expat community to voice over 90 million population?

You can agree to disagree but that is the way it is. From what I see, we just have to accept it and play by their rules but not subject ourselves to be manipulated.

In the meanwhile, let us look at the brighter side of this beautiful country and warm-hearted people.

I have a bit of info....I don't think everything is correct, but I will pass on what I was told by the Canadian Automobile Association. (CAA).  According to the CAA,, neither Canada nor the US adopted the 1968 Vienna road protocol.  Both use the 1949 protocol.  Vietnam adopted the 1968 Vienna road protocol effective January 1, 2015.  The CAA person went on to say that Vietnam only adopted one side of the 1968 protocol in that they will start issuing IDPs to local Vietnamese who wish to drive abroad, but are not allowing foreigners in Vietnam to use IDPs.  This CAA person said she was responsible for all aspects of the Canadian issuance of IDPs and has been for 20 years.  She seemed very knowledgeable on the subject, but this is the part that I have issue with.  Reciprocal agreements cannot be one sided.

I took my IDP in to the main local police station on Phu Quoc island as they did a crackdown on foreign motorbike drivers after 2 along with a Vietnamese were killed in 2 separate incidents at Tet.  They looked it over thoroughly and said it was not valid in Vietnam, as Vietnam was not in the country list.  They also showed me a US IDP issued by AAA in January.  It has Vietnam in the list and they said it was valid here.  A friend has an older, expired US IDP and Vietnam is not in the country list, so it looks like AAA added Vietnam recently.

Dave, very interesting!

Ok, my US AAA IDP, issued August 2014 has VN on it. I never even looked and could have ridden a bike on my trip in November and didnt know. I had no mood to apply for a local licence so I didnt do anything.

Maybe this will help. The permit says: Vietnam is not a party to the 1949 Convention and therefore the IDP is honored.

Not to be redundant but someone was getting the shaft on this. I checked prior IDPs I have and they too showed VN on the list. Therefore the IDP was valid all along but the government chose to ignore it. Tons of people were being forced to get the local licence when they didnt have to (?)

When the government says its only valid for Viets travelling to US or elsewhere, thats just plain untrue. I agree, one cant adopt only a part of this. But then, if the government agreed to honor the IDP but then chose not to, who would anyone complain to about it anyway? I think thats called "welcome to vietnam," "national soverignty," things like that.

Thanks for your great post.

Dave858 wrote:

I have a bit of info....I don't think everything is correct, but I will pass on what I was told by the Canadian Automobile Association. (CAA).  According to the CAA,, neither Canada nor the US adopted the 1968 Vienna road protocol.  Both use the 1949 protocol.  Vietnam adopted the 1968 Vienna road protocol effective January 1, 2015.  The CAA person went on to say that Vietnam only adopted one side of the 1968 protocol in that they will start issuing IDPs to local Vietnamese who wish to drive abroad, but are not allowing foreigners in Vietnam to use IDPs.  This CAA person said she was responsible for all aspects of the Canadian issuance of IDPs and has been for 20 years.  She seemed very knowledgeable on the subject, but this is the part that I have issue with.  Reciprocal agreements cannot be one sided.

I took my IDP in to the main local police station on Phu Quoc island as they did a crackdown on foreign motorbike drivers after 2 along with a Vietnamese were killed in 2 separate incidents at Tet.  They looked it over thoroughly and said it was not valid in Vietnam, as Vietnam was not in the country list.  They also showed me a US IDP issued by AAA in January.  It has Vietnam in the list and they said it was valid here.  A friend has an older, expired US IDP and Vietnam is not in the country list, so it looks like AAA added Vietnam recently.

As a Canadian this info was very useful to me. How long ago did you get the IDP from CAA? So it seems the American's AAA IDP is valid but not Canada's CAA IDP.

I can say that there would be nothing special about US that would make VN catch its list or that US would enjoy any special treatment. Its about individual countries joining or not joining various treaties. If Canada chooses to not join something, then it becomes an example of the unevenness of these IDPs. Who knows why Canada didnt subscribe to the 1968 Convention?

As I said in my post, both Canada and the US did not sign the 1968 protocol.  CAA told me that neither country would agree with sinage.  I had a better look at a recent US IDP and Vietnam along with a number of other countries have an asterisk and a note that they are not signatories of the 1949 protocol.  The US IDP also has a grey cover and is valid for 1 year,  the same as mine (Canada)  This indicates that the IDP was issued under the the 1949 protocol.  IDPs issued under the 1968 protocol have a pink cover and are valid for 3 years.

Mine is grey and 1-year. Yes VN has an asterisk and the note about that asterisk is as I said, "IDP is honored."

Does that mean VN does NOT honor it? I dont get it, the language seems simple, thats why my post.

Sorry, missed the question....on a tablet.  My IDP was issued in October, but I confirmed on Friday with the CAA person who is in charge of all aspects of IDP issuance, that the Canadian IDP has not been changed since then.  what I have done is taken the center pages with the country list out of mine and printed off a list from the internet, which shows Vietnam.  This list looks the same as the IDP list, with the same title and bottom notes.  If you can't track it down, let me know and I will drag out my laptop and find the URL...or email it to you.

cvco, can't say what other police will do, but the top cop here on Phu Quoc showed me an IDP identical to yours and said that it was acceptable.

Dave, sorry im confused. What are you or we looking for exactly (in websites) ? If the IDP in question is acceptable to the cops then everyone is home free? If so, then maybe my post wwas right, its been technically acceptable all along but only now VN is choosing to honor it. Do I have it right?

Would it be helpful if we talk on Skype about this or no need?