Chances of finding a decent job with a small knowledge of Portuguese?

Hey guys, I'm Max, 24yo from Belgium and I really want to move to Lisbon and start a new life.

I will probably go to Lisbon from May untill November to work in a hostel where I've worked before (only for a month). Overall during 4 trips and the month of work, I've stayed for over 3 months in Lisbon and I absolutely love it! My plan is to get a Portuguese class in May so I will learn the language. Right now my knowledge is very basic: I know how to ask for directions, ask how somebody is and a good amount of words. Unfortunatly, I can't really form sentences and that's what I want to learn.

Then, in October/November I want to start looking for a job and appartment so I'll have an income untill May, when I'll probably work at the hostel again for like 6 months.

Are there any jobs out there that require little Portuguese? I heard that if you're good with languages that there are tons of jobs. I speak Dutch, French, English, German, I understand quite a bit of Spanish & some words Swedish ...

Cheers,
Max

Hi, Max,
Unfortunately, it is hard to tell if there are good chances for finding a decent job at all (regardless of knowing Portuguese or not). Of course, it is easier to find a job in case you are fluent in their official language, but this fact alone also does not guarantee you for a working place. Usually, jobs that require knowledge of many languages are related to working in hotels and tourism (and I see you will already work in a hostel). Jobs such as a customer support manager could also be found without much knowledge of Portuguese, but with a good knowledge of all the other languages you've mentioned. I suppose the situation is very similar as in any other country, in relation to finding a job (except that the salaries here are one of the lowest in the EU).
If you want to learn the language for free, you can do so in a number of public schools in Lisbon which organise Portuguese classes for foreigners. You can consult the official site of the Ministry of Education to see which schools are in the programme or you can contact them over e-mail to get more details.
Remember that the smaller the country is, the better are the chances for finding a job through a connection, by knowing someone at a "right place and the right time". There is not a lot of place for merits here.
One thing is to know a country through tourism, the other is to actually live in it (without trying to actually sound pessimistic here, but rather honest).
Wish you good luck.
Kind regards!

Hi Maximilian,

do you still looking for a job? I have an opportunity for fluent speakers in Dutch/English, French or German. Please let me know if you want me to send you more details.
Regards,
Idalina Jorge

IFernandes wrote:

Hi Maximilian,

do you still looking for a job? I have an opportunity for fluent speakers in Dutch/English, French or German. Please let me know if you want me to send you more details.
Regards,
Idalina Jorge

If you have an job opening, please post it in the JOBS section so interested members can view details and contact you.

Thanks

Romaniac

I will.