Australian marrying a French citizen

Hi there!

I am an Aussie and I recently got engaged to my French boyfriend.
I am about to return to Aus (due to the holiday visa expiring) and we plan to marry once I return to France in April.
Does anybody know if I will need to return to Australia after we get married in France so that I can come back on a long term visa? It all seems really difficult and expensive! And the embassy website are strict with their help.
These kinds of forums are really my only hope!

Thanks for your time!

Daniela

is your fiance living in Australia or France?

Hi Lizzie,

He is French, and we intend to live in France.

Yes i understand that, my husband is also French and we live in Trinidad so all our marriage information had to be registered with the local embassy here and they will deal with registering it in France database.
So if he lives in Australia at the moment he must be registered with the Australian french embassy and you guys will process everything through that avenue before moving.  If he is living in France already then all the necessary things such as posting bands etc should be done at his local mairie.
Hope this helps

Once you are married to a frenchman you should not require a visa.

Hi Daniela_from_Sydney!
I am interested in what information you find on this subject...
My girlfriend is French and I'm from Sydney... Doing the long distance thing for now while we save money but we intend to get PACs when I go over this year and then married after that so any information you find I'd be interested in...
So glad I found this blog... Looks like a great source of information from as well as meeting people going through / gone through the same thing...
Also congrats for April!!!

Congrats . I move to France soon also with my family  😜