Will Fly Association needs helping hands!

"A population that takes its children by the hand is a population who will live long." Alian Gilot

"Will Fly" is a non-profit organization with a mission to help children of the City of Black River in western Mauritius.

Mauritius is not only the postcard paradise that everyone knows with its hotels and its golden beaches. It is also a model country in ethnic tolerance and humanity. But even if everyone lived in harmony together, there is unfortunately a great social inequality. First affected by this inequality are children who may not have access to an appropriate education that meets their needs.

The children of the cities, lack of support and monitoring of their school performance in the pre-primary and primary levels. Unfortunately these children tend to be in their early teens and drop out of school to find work.  This is not always the fault of parents who struggle to work and live decently as well as meet the basic needs of their families.

Our goal is not to place blame but to act positively with support! 
What would be a better gift to offer a child than an environment that allows the child to thrive and build a future? That is our motivation.
The “Will Fly” association can be summed up in few lines.

Will Fly welcomes all children ages 3 to 16 years of age and over in the Black River city without distinction of race or religion.
The center offers after school tutoring, offers a meal to every child and helps with school materials and uniforms.
The center is also a refuge for children in families where alcohol and violence are an issue.

Above all it aims to be a place where children feel confident and free. We are not trying to masquerade as a school. We offer an infrastructure surrounding the children, that listens to them, helps to guide them throughout their school careers until they enter the world as adults.
We hope to support and monitor also artistic and sporting activities. Our goal is not to direct but to offer several strings to the children's bow that will only grow stronger and eventually play their own music.

Give them the right to dream like children should. We are already working in the field and are active in the city of Black River which is one of the poorest cities on the island.

In the long term, we hope that every adult becomes a sponsor of a child. A sort of relay ... In the medium term we would like that this infrastructure can be developed in other cities. We believe that everyone is affected by this issue, children are the future of the island.

Like every NGO we have limited funds and are grateful for any financial support. Next to that it would be our pleasure to welcome you among our volunteers, who take care of the children Monday - Friday 4-6pm (your own schedule, no obligation to be there five days per week).
Or would you maybe like to help us organize workshops for arts & sports?

Any support is most welcome!

Please feel free to contact us or join us on Facebook

Marie-Anne Lagane 7290241 (Secretary)
Caroline Gardenne 7246476 (Assistant Secretary)
E-Mail: [email protected]

Will Fly
Association Reg. No.: 11561
CSR Registration No.: 1384

I would love to help out as I am a special ed teacher and art teacher however the afternoons are so not convenient for me - I am available most mornings to help out though. Would it make a difference if I do not speak french?

Hello!

Thank you for your feedback.
The Centre is only open in the afternoons (4-6pm) and offers afterschool tutorial. So I guess you can't be there to help actively with the kids, but maybe you have ideas for workshops we could propose for them? Or we organize something together for a Saturday?
Would be great if you could send me some more info about you/your work on [email protected]

Already now, thanks a lot in behalf of the children

Pina

Hello

Have you been able to get some funding through CSR (Corporate social responsibility)?If no, let me know what you need in terms of infrastructure or anything else, I'll see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Alisa.

Hello Alisa,

we just obtained our offical registration with CSR, so we are hoping to have some financial support soon, but until then we need to come up with own solutions/ideas.

The church of St. Augustin was so generous to let us use their facilities for a few months so that we can welcome the children. But longterm plan is to have an own & dedicated Will Fly "Youth Centre". So if you maybe know anybody who would rent us a place large enough to welcome about 70 children, that would be great. Problem is a bit that it has to be in walking distance from the Cite so the kids can come there without any problems.
Until then we need all kind of school material (paper, pens, school books...)and additional volunteers who would be willing to maybe come and help 1-2 per week to organize the afternoon program! Most of the children don't even know how to read of to write, so we really start from scratch.

Any ideas and support are most welcome!

Thanks a lot
Pina

Hello Pina

Let me see what I can come up with.Can you give me an exact location of where the cite is so I can check if there's anything within walking distance.

Cheers

Alisa.

It's when leaving Riviere Noire towards Le Morne. The church is the last building on the left hand side, before coming to the little roundabout that leads either to the Black River Gorges or to Le Morne. The main part of the cite is just opposite of the church. So anything in walkingdistance from there would be perfect

Trying to send per google map. hope that works

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i … 06947&z=18

Ok,I have an idea.Let me see what I can do.I'm not sure about the place to rent, but I'll try to find the CSR funding for you.

Thanks so much!

We are organizing a little "awareness campaign" at the London Supermarket in Tamarin this weekend. The team will be there all day. Come and say hi if you are in the region :-)

Have a nice day

Are you going to be there on Sunday as well?What time if so?

Hi Pina,

I am a teacher in training, and my husband is good at sports and very patient with children. We would be able to help maybe 1 afternoon a week. I have a 7 month old baby, so would have to bring him with! We are only able to speak English at this point, so I am not sure how much help we would be? Could be an interesting way to teach the children English and they teach us French... Either way, let me know, and we can maybe work something out. Even if we come and play cricket, or organise a tennis day. I am a keen painter, so could facilitate a creative crafts day.

Regards,
Nikki

Hiya

Am trying to get you some CSR help from a bank, would it be possible to give me the name and contact details for the person in your organisation who looks after the funding part?

Thanks.

Our contact details are

Marie-Anne Lagane 7290241 (Secretary)
Caroline Sellier 7246476 (Assistant Secretary)
E-Mail: [email protected]

Will Fly
Association Reg. No.: 11561
CSR Registration No.: 1384
Account Details:
Barclays Bank, Tamarin, Acc. No. 342000452

Thank you for the positive feedback

The OP hasn't visited the forum for four years but it's possible they'll get an email alerting them to your post.

However, it's generally better to check the age of a post before replying to it.