Tipping

Happy New Year!!!

It's almost 2 weeks since I've moved to Bahrain and I'm having a grand time. My family and I have a book "101 Things to do in Bahrain" and we are slowly checking them off!

I'm loving ordering in but on those occasions of going out, I want to make sure I'm leaving the correct amount of tip.  What's customary for tipping in Bahrain at restaurants, gas station, etc.? Someone told me that it's already deducted (service fees); however, I don't want to feel as though I'm under/over tipping due to lack of knowledge. Thanks much!

Good question. I know restaurants have a service charge added so I don't tend to leave much unless it's exceptional service.
Never tipped at gas stations.
Spin off this topic eg how much would one pay someone to clean their car?

Thank you fchaudari.

Sorry can't help more. I'm sure someone else can shed more light on this as would be useful to know

http://0.tqn.com/y/culinarytravel/1/W/e/J/-/-/82637869.jpg

Very interesting topic, indeed.

Contrary to popular belief the practice of tipping is not a universal custom, in some countries people do not tip at all and in others tips are often built right into the price or added to the bill as a service charge. This is quite common in the food service industry. Generally tipping is a particular North American habit since in most cases such service charges are not common or even permitted. The general rule of thumb in North American restaurants is to leave 15 to 20 percent of the bill (if the service is good).

In countries where restaurants build a tip into the prices or add on a service charge then you are not obliged to leave anything additional, unless of course you wish to do so for personal reasons and again only if the service is good. A common complaint of servers in these countries is that they aren't getting the tips. If that is the case, it is NOT the customer's responsibility there are labor laws in all countries and if the employer is breaking them it is up to the employee to seek the appropriate help through governmental agencies.

Remember (at least in the food service industry) one does not tip in fast-food establishments. In most cases the franchise agreements specifically prohibit accepting tips.

In other service industries where one would usually tip there are some pretty universal guidelines:

Airport Porters and Hotel Bellhops - $1 - $2 for each suitcase
Parking Valets - $1 for parking the car
Hotel Doorman - $1 - $2 for hailing a taxi
Hotel Maids - $1 - $5 per night
Taxi Drivers - 15% of the meter / charge, more if they help you with bags
Barbers and Hairstylists - 15 percent of the bill

For waiters and waitresses the following link makes for interesting reading a food (pun intended) for thought:

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/what-t … the-world/

While Bahrain is not on their list, since gratuities/service charges tend to be added to the bill then follow the rule for countries where this is common.

One does not traditionally tip at gas stations, attendants are employees. Sure, if they go out of their way to provide extra services with a smile on their face then a tip is always appreciated anywhere.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James  :)

Dear Princessnice,
Welcome to Bahrain! We have no rules here regarding Tipping. So whenever you like the service give as much you want (there are a lot of  people who work for very low wage and they will be always happy to have something) but  always keep in mind that sometimes a smile (or a good laugh together) is much more worth than money.

Have a Happy 2015

Wouldn't tip cabbies here !!!! Rip off anyway!!
Hotels yes I've tipped porters, occasionally tipped at restaurants but not much as if they include a service charge then that covers the tips side really.
However yes lots of people here are on a low wage so if you feel they deserve extra a few BD won't go amiss, however do the calculations it's easy to get carried away then remember 5BD is like $15 (Aus anyway)
It's easy to forget the actual value of money here because denominations are so small !!!

This has been the age old question here in the Middle East. Yes there is a service charge already added to your bill however, from my experience knowing many individuals who work in the restaurant business, that money rarely goes to the waiters. We always try to leave some sort of tip. There is not percentage just whatever you are willing to give they will be grateful to receive. If our bill is less than BD 10 it will be about half a BD or so. It it is higher we leave more ranging between 1-5 BD. Depends on the service.
In regards to the car washing question. I payed a guy 15 BD to wash my car pretty much everyday a month. I hear some people pay 10 and others pay 20. Don't bother asking the guys who wash the cars because they usually give the typical "as you wish" comment.
I don't usually tip gas station attendants however, if they were nice sometimes I will tell the to keep the change. However, some do have a habit of taking their sweet time getting your change back to you in hopes you will tell them to keep it.

Hope this helps a bit

I quote from Honey Combs:
"Don't bother asking the guys who wash the cars because they usually give the typical "as you wish" comment."

Dear Princessnice,
Remember  always to ask to  the people who are offering their service how much they would like to get, keeping in mind that we are here dealing with Humans and your name is Princess Nice.:)

Bhuser:

I am more than aware that I'm dealing with human. Please note I didn't ask how much a person requires for the services s/he renders; I was asking about giving EXTRA money for the job completed.  And yes, Bhuser, from one human being to the other, I usually ask before making assumptions.

Thanks much Honey Comb. The info you've provided helped quite a bit.

And I'm ALWAYS nice.  :gloria

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do the cab ride, well at least yet.

Kindly do not twist my words. I have lived here in the Middle East for over 18 years and I was merely sharing what I have learned from my time here. I stated the price that is acceptable to pay people who come and wash your car. If you ask them how much they charge they usually tell you "as you wish." This in turn confuses you and makes you feel like whatever you suggest isn't adequate enough.
I am very aware these people are human which is why I hire them and usually pay more than what the "average" is.

It was me who asked about the car washing prices.
OP just wanted to know about tipping.

Yep I was answering both questions in one comment.

👍

Tipping is not mandatory and is totally at your discression. If my fuel bill is BD4.700 then I give him a BD5 and he keeps the change. I don't get out the car, I don't get hot and sweaty filling up. Whatever you want to tip is up to you. They are all on low salaries and depend on tips to survive. Tip whoever you want whatever you want.
I always carry lots of 100fills around with me for people who help me with directions or show me around the souq when I get lost in the maze but as for restaurants it's normal to just leave the low change as a service charge is included.

there is no standard tip rate and the service charge money usually goes to the owner of the restaurant the waiters gets nothing from all i know