Moving To Malta Urgent Advice Needed.

Hi There! I'm Jack a UK/Maltese passport holder!

And my partner and I are moving to Malta! But i have a very big question, we're both 23 and have around 9000euro's in savings to make the move, initially staying with my extended family then branching off renting our own place.

My partner has a Tefl Course and is a UK National and hopes to teach English.

I've been reading through the

http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Infor … dence.aspx

And am at a bit of a loss as to which would be suitable for my partner to apply through. I spoke to the Maltese House In London and was told it would be quite simple for my partner to obtain and Id card to work and open a bank account.

Does anyone have any clear answers how my partner would be able to obtain residency and a Id card? I mean Durable relationship is quite a stretch as we've lived long distance due to work commitments and have not jointly rented a home, we have a joint bank account but thats about it? Shall we get married would that make our lives easier?

Any advice from anyone who can assist will have a bottle of wine on me!

Thank you Kindly.

Jack Mercieca/Chandler

Hi, she has every right to reside and work here as she is a UK citizen. there are no complications, she just needs to follow the normal residency proceedings. You can find more info on here. I'll find the link in a second! She can either be self sufficient or the easiest option is to be working here. You have 3 months before you need to register residency so she'll have time to look for a job.

Edited for link https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

coxf0001 wrote:

Hi, she has every right to reside and work here as she is a UK citizen. there are no complications, she just needs to follow the normal residency proceedings. You can find more info on here. I'll find the link in a second! She can either be self sufficient or the easiest option is to be working here. You have 3 months before you need to register residency so she'll have time to look for a job.

Edited for link https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

I am sorry to be picky and im sure you meant no harm but its one of my pet peevs in life , but where did the original post mention a gender for their partner ... they refereed to them as my partner .. never once saying he or she  , i just intirgued as to how you jumped to the conclusion they were a female partner

i know that society as a whole assumes that hetrosexual relationships are the norm but it annoys me so much when i get reffered to as she , or when they do meet me they say oh is this your "special friend"

anyway happy new year lol ..

Umm, maybe because in my 'small world' it is the norm for me. I've never had to think any other way. I've lived here for years, same sex marriage is very recent here, I've kinda spent most of my adult life not being bombarded with political correctness....The Maltese are hardly politically correct!

Hi thank you for your reply! =D

So whilst we're looking for work, will my partner be able to rent a home with me and apply for a hsbc malta bank account or BoV account?

renting a home is the easy bit - the bank account is a little more fraught but it can be done