Pick pocketing pham ngu lao.

FYI bloggers,
I have been robbed in Pham Ngu Lao. Not to critical but the guy opened a zipper on my rucksack when i was walking in the morning to a restaurant.Very fast and smart. He only took fluids for e-smoker which I can buy here in Vungtau new, so no big deal, but, as I was having breakfast with my daugther and here friend, a friend from Vungtau passed by and he told me, a Aussie friend of his was robbed the day before. Wearing a short with outside pockets, survival type of shorts, the robber used a knive to cut of the pocket in a fraction of a second. Money gone and the pick-pocket guy gone. So he is active in and around the small Hems, Pham Ngu Lao. Don't try to stop a guy with a knive, as it may well end up in your arm or so. But a warning upfront is always welcom.
Cheers. Ron

be careful, i hear these sort of stories all the time. By the way where can you buy e-liquid in Vungtau?

Thanks for the information and good advice Ill pass it on ...

At least he didn't slash your backpack.

I have heard of being pick-pocketed in bank line-ups. I keep all my valuables in front pockets, or hanging discretely from my belt.

My belt, and all the 'suspender' straps of the things I hang on it, have thin stainless steel wire in them that is very, very, hard to cut.

I also wear clothes with Tilley pockets, especially shaped to avoid stuff falling out when you sit down and which have extra 'secret' pockets in the standard pockets.

In Pham Ngu Lao ward there is a 'concrete' park between Pham Ngu Lao and Le Lai Streets. Famous for pick-pockets. The Cong An arrested a gang of five there last week.

E-liquid sold close or better in the fishing village at a Y kind of crossing. It's sold under the table. Not advertised. Apparently it's illigal. So better give me your e-mail.
Cheers Ron.

There's still 1 running around apparently.
:D
They should hang camera's or better, appoint one or two of them to the police force to catch the others. catch criminals with criminals.

Festeem wrote:

They should hang camera's or better, appoint one or two of them to the police force to catch the others. catch criminals with criminals.

I thought you realised that the Cong An and the CGST already use your principle of catching criminals with criminals.

Soliciting and accepting bribes are, supposedly, criminal acts in VietNam. Like prostitution.

my phone was stolen in hoan kiem at christmas eve and only took like 5 minutes after i using it, and yesterday there's 2 ppl with motorbike snatch my bag at ho chi min city but this time i hold my bag and scream out loud, the bag was tied with a metal tie but due to pulled by theft and me so the tie is broke, and people around just have a look then ignore it, so it really insecure in vietnam with crime and many ignorance ppl. and police here are useless

be careful guys... i have been to all main HCMC streets, mostly i feel safe.. but it is common now a days to hear the stories on snatching ..

Rahayu Ryuchilla Harum wrote:

... yesterday there's 2 ppl with motorbike snatch my bag at ho chi min city but this time i hold my bag and scream out loud, the bag was tied with a metal tie but due to pulled by theft and me so the tie is broke, and people around just have a look then ignore it, so it really insecure in vietnam with crime and many ignorance ppl. and police here are useless

The Cong An actually shot a pair of motorcycle riding thieves a couple of weeks ago in Quan 1.

Remember, pick-pockets/thieves read your body language before deciding to attack.

Walk against the prevailing pedestrian traffic (easier to spot followers); walk nearer buildings than the kerb and stand back from the kerb when waiting for a crossing light. Don't hesitate to walk in to a building/store if you feel unsafe. They can always call the police.

If it's any consolation, VNese get robbed, too.

Don't make yourself a target for thieves. I made that mistake once and only time someone attempted to rob us. My wife wanted to hold my 7 inch tablet that has a cover. We just got out of Cho Lon station and was walking with the flow traffic on a 1 way street. The sidewalk was huge and empty. A bike on a sidewalk came toward us and attempted to snatch the tablet. Luckily my wife was hugging it to her chest with both hands and twisted her body away.

I made 2 mistakes and probably more. 1 I usually put my tablet in a bag but my wife wanted to travel light. And 2 I should have stood on her left side closer to the street. It's the gentlemanly way too.