Tips on renting an apartment

Hi all..me , my husband and two kids are new to Jakarta. We are about to rent an apartment..it freak me out the idea of paying the whole year in advance!!! Any tips on things that we should be aware of before signing the contract?? Also the place is HAMPTONS PARK in pondok indah. I would appreciate any feedback regarding the place. Thanks alot in advance and happy new year

fIt's the norm to pay one year in advance, even 2 years, after all it's the Company you or your husband works for since you are expatriates, aren't you?

One year in advance is normal here. Many want a two year contract, but I would suggest that's a bad idea, and you can usually get it down to a year anyway.
Make sure the area isn't prone to flooding.
Check monthly payment for security, water, and electricity. (Some places are seriously expensive)
Why an apartment? Houses in a local complex are commonly a lot cheaper and better places to live.
Make sure you live near work/kids' school - Jakarta's traffic jams can add hours onto your day.

NEVER even look at a place if the rent is quoted in US$ - they're always rip off jobs, aimed at expats with more money than brains, or as green as a Dollar bill.

Yes we are from middle east...company pays monthly allowance